N/S - Steelers likely to not keep Faneca (2 Viewers)

Good analysis NP on all accounts except you overlooked one thing. Faine is actually the top center on the FA market. Its a down year but the best player at a position on the market may end up getting overpaid because the market dictates it.

But the cost still won't be that high IMO. He may be overpaid, but the pay should still be somewhat low. For instance, I don't see a huge contract like all the tackles and guards have been getting recently. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, he can go and I wouldn't be sad. We need a better center anyway.

I spoke with a buddy at work today about Faneca. Huge Steelers fan. He said he thinks Faneca will end up in NO, or maybe Arizona. But he said the Steelers have to resign Big Ben, and they won't spend the big $$$ to keep Faneca because of that.

I'm just not understanding how Bushrod could adequately take over for a guy who just two seasons ago was sent to the Pro Bowl????? Sure, Brown was injured this year but do you really think Brees is going to feel comfortable with Bushrod protecting his backside? When is Brown due to have his contract renegotiated.....two more years, right?

I think with Drew's quick release, you could get by with a "serviceable" L.T. Didn't Strief sub for Brown a couple fo times this year without dropoff?

Drew has good pocket awareness and and one of the quickest releases around. He generally doesn't need 5 seconds.

As long as we have someone there who is not a turnstile, I think it could work. If we gain in the running game it's worth considering.

Hutch got 49 mill for 7 years but I can't remember the guaranteed $$... as did the other kid at Buffalo I think... and Leonard Davis... so that's the "bottom dollar"..

i don't think you remember that right, my friend. Of all the issues that were involved, real or not (wink wink), the organization giving up on Willie was not one of them. He wanted to leave.

Well, however it happened, we ended up losing out on some fine years from one of the greatest tackles of all time.. :shrug:

I think with Drew's quick release, you could get by with a "serviceable" L.T. Didn't Strief sub for Brown a couple fo times this year without dropoff?

Drew has good pocket awareness and and one of the quickest releases around. He generally doesn't need 5 seconds.

As long as we have someone there who is not a turnstile, I think it could work. If we gain in the running game it's worth considering.

I remember Strief getting mauled by Mario Williams in Jammal's absence. It seems that Strief is better suited for right tackle.

I remember Strief getting mauled by Mario Williams in Jammal's absence. It seems that Strief is better suited for right tackle.

i remember the season before this one that strief came in at left tackle and held simeon rice to 0 tackles. i think he may be ready to come in and start over stinch.

I think adding Faneca to the offensive line is about priority number 15 for the offseason. 1) The line was not that bad when you consider the only person who had problems running behind it was Reggie. 2) adding an older more expensive veteran in place of now experienced and cheaper youth would be taking a slight step backwards in the development of the overall plan. 3) Faneca is not going to give the saints a hometown discount on a contract he is looking at as his retirement account.

JMHO

i remember the season before this one that strief came in at left tackle and held simeon rice to 0 tackles. i think he may be ready to come in and start over stinch.

As I said, it seems like Strief has more value to us at right tackle, which is the positon that Stinch occupies. During training camp I would like to see Strief get a fair shot at the starting right tackle spot.

I think adding Faneca to the offensive line is about priority number 15 for the offseason. 1) The line was not that bad when you consider the only person who had problems running behind it was Reggie. 2) adding an older more expensive veteran in place of now experienced and cheaper youth would be taking a slight step backwards in the development of the overall plan. 3) Faneca is not going to give the saints a hometown discount on a contract he is looking at as his retirement account.

JMHO

Well, Faneca is only 10 days older than Nesbit, but a 5-time All-Pro compared to a journeyman is a big difference. Unless we have a young G who is ready to be that good, Faneca is a great option to go after. Reggie isn't the only person who had trouble running behind the line. The only RB to average over 4 per carry was Thomas. And making the OLine better = A) more time for Brees to throw in the pocket and less pressure that results, not in a sack, but a poor throw that is intercepted, and B) a better run game that can better help sustain drives and score more points instead of being stuffed at the goalline 3 times in a row. Faneca would actually help the defense by helping the offense.

As I said there`s no doubt that Faneca would be an upgrade but I think people downplay the financial impact he would have. I agree that he has good years left in him so age will not be a huge factor when it comes to negotiating a contract.

So how much would he cost? I dont know. But a guy like David Dockery who never made the Pro Bowl got a $18.5 million signing bonus last year so Faneca will not accept anything less I think. The Saints could afford that. But what about the future? Evans will at least ask for the same type of money if he continues to play at high level. If Brown bounces back from a subpar season he will ask for even more because he`s playing LT. Faine wont get that type of money of course but he will get more than he is earning now.

One of the biggest strengths of this offensive line is one that nobody talks about: The Saints get a lot of bang for the buck from this unit. Faine had a base salary of $540k last year, Evans earned $640k, Nesbit $1.1 million. That will change no matter if the Saints sign Faneca or not. But we just cant expect the Saints to invest heavily on defense and also expect them to tie up a lot of money in the offensive line, especially at G.

As I said there`s no doubt that Faneca would be an upgrade but I think people downplay the financial impact he would have. I agree that he has good years left in him so age will not be a huge factor when it comes to negotiating a contract.

So how much would he cost? I dont know. But a guy like David Dockery who never made the Pro Bowl got a $18.5 million signing bonus last year so Faneca will not accept anything less I think. The Saints could afford that. But what about the future? Evans will at least ask for the same type of money if he continues to play at high level. If Brown bounces back from a subpar season he will ask for even more because he`s playing LT. Faine wont get that type of money of course but he will get more than he is earning now.

One of the biggest strengths of this offensive line is one that nobody talks about: The Saints get a lot of bang for the buck from this unit. Faine had a base salary of $540k last year, Evans earned $640k, Nesbit $1.1 million. That will change no matter if the Saints sign Faneca or not. But we just cant expect the Saints to invest heavily on defense and also expect them to tie up a lot of money in the offensive line, especially at G.

That's why were fortunate to have Loomis.

The importance of an elite LG should not be underestimated. Look at the Chiefs when they had that offensive line and how they've dropped off since. The impact on their respective teams when Stev Hutchinson left Seattle for Minnesota. The fact that Pittsburgh are consistently one of the best rushing teams in the league. We have so much money and potential tied up in Reggie Bush we should look to make the most of his unique skill set. A mauling guard who can do it all, pull, trap get to the second level would be huge. He is a leader, from New Orleans, went to LSU, has plenty left in the tank and could raise the play of all the others on our offensive line

Marvel Smith on Faneca:

"I just love playing with him," says tackle Marvel Smith, who has lined up next to Faneca on the left side of the Pittsburgh line the last two years. "I'm amazed by his intensity during the game. I know he has made me a better player. You can't help but be a better player being with him."

Smith says it is routine to look at game video and see Faneca execute his block at the line, take on a linebacker and finish the play 30 yards downfield.

"It just rubs off on all the offensive linemen," he says. "We all started looking for extra blocks."

My only concern would be I watched him specifically against the Jaguars and he was getting handled by a 282lb undrafted rookie DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom