N/S - Steelers likely to not keep Faneca (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of contract he's looking for? I know it's widely speculated that there's mutual interest in bringing him home to New Orleans, and for the right price, I can't say how insanely happy I'd be to have an interior line of Faneca, Faine/Goodwin, and Evans. We may finally be able to get some run blocking going.

Considering that Goodwin and Nesbit are both UFA's (and Faine as well)... and Alleman still appears to be really green around the gills... and the fact that Faneca is a La. guy and a former Bayou Bengal... it appears like he would be a sure-fire target for the Saints.

However, if he's looking for a paycheck like the one Steinbach got last year, we have ZERO chance at him.

I'd love for him to finish out his career as a Saint, but I'm by no means holding my breath.

Our O-line is pretty good, it seems to me we can use the money better on defense.

Right, it would be a great thing if we can sign him. He's still got a lot of years left in the tank.

I also heard, I believe, Mike Detellier suggest that the Saints could move Jammal Brown back to RT and play Jermon Bushrod at LT. That would be interesting. If Bushrod is capable and ready, then our line could be very stout next year if we were to also sign Faneca. Brown excelled as a run-blocking RT. He would be teamed with Evans, which should mean a lot of holes opened on that side. And Faneca and Bushrod--assuming he's ready--should be able to do the same on the left side. The only snag might be Brown's refusal to go back to the right side if he contends that LTs make more money.

Considering that Goodwin and Nesbit are both UFA's (and Faine as well)... and Alleman still appears to be really green around the gills... and the fact that Faneca is a La. guy and a former Bayou Bengal... it appears like he would be a sure-fire target for the Saints.

However, if he's looking for a paycheck like the one Steinbach got last year, we have ZERO chance at him.

I'd love for him to finish out his career as a Saint, but I'm by no means holding my breath.

I disagree. Steinback's deal would be a good place to start for Faneca. He's 31. If you sign him to a 7 year deal, the deal will likely be "truly" a 4 year deal, which means he'll never see the money at the backend of the contract.

I'm just not understanding how Bushrod could adequately take over for a guy who just two seasons ago was sent to the Pro Bowl????? Sure, Brown was injured this year but do you really think Brees is going to feel comfortable with Bushrod protecting his backside? When is Brown due to have his contract renegotiated.....two more years, right?

I still think that whether we sign Faneca or not, we need to draft an Oline either round 4-5. Allenman hasn't shown he is ready to step up and we need to keep both lines fresh with talent. It showed this past year with injuries, that we need bodies...quality bodies!!!

I do agree that signing Faneca is the right move and the second the clock shows FA season has begun, we need to have him on a plane down here with a contract for a 6-7 year deal ready to go. Faine may or may not be re-signed and the only way I see us keeping his is if he plays at a reduced salary. Goodwin held his own and I think is ready to take over the starter duties. What makes me nervous is if all these moves go down, we'd have guys playing at new positions for LT, RT, LG and C....that's a lot of movement. Would we have to go through the first few games of gelling again? Whatever the call is, one thing I know for sure is that training camp needs to be run like the first season and not last season...too many guys were missing practice or riding bikes last year. I think it showed in our first four games and Payton better crack that whip and see who's ready to man up and play.

he is going to want ridiculous money and is probably right before or after his peak days. its soon to be all down hill either way. I dont want to sign someone for a massive contract and watch him deteriorate each year. I see his value, but dont want to hamstring our team to get him. I am never mad when we draft oline in rounds 3-7. we should pick up one or two every year in those rounds. Brees needs to be upright to run the show.

he is going to want ridiculous money and is probably right before or after his peak days. its soon to be all down hill either way. I dont want to sign someone for a massive contract and watch him deteriorate each year. I see his value, but dont want to hamstring our team to get him. I am never mad when we draft oline in rounds 3-7. we should pick up one or two every year in those rounds. Brees needs to be upright to run the show.

But OLinemen can last until their late-30s doing a good job. Faneca is 31. He still has many good years ahead based on this fact and talent.

Offensive linemen can generally play well into their late 30s as long as their knees hold up.. I'd be willing to give Faneca a big contract, not Hutchinson big, but big.. Remember when we gave up on Willie and he went on to dominate for the Chiefs? This time, put the Steelers in our place..

He's been an excellent lineman his entire career.. 5 All Pro teams in 10 years? That means he's been considered 1 of the 2 best guards in the entire league half of his career.. What's not to like about that?

And he's only missed 2 games his whole career..

We have a ridiculous amount of cap space. We could sign him no problem. It wouldn't keep us from signing defensive FA's.

I think he has some good years left in him but this is the last big contract he will sign and the salaries of Gs exploded last year. He will demand A LOT of money.

I know that this line has been criticized a lot but when Drew had a rhythm and took pressure of the running game even Aaron Stecker managed to get 100 yards behind that line. Faneca obviously would be an upgrade but would it be worth millions?

Last edited:
I think he has some good years left in him but this is the last big contract he will sign and the salaries of Gs exploded last year. He will demand A LOT of money.

I know that this line has been criticised a lot but when the Drew had a rhythm and took pressure of the running game even Aaron Stecker managed to get 100 yards behind that line. Faneca obviously would be an upgrade but would it be worth millions?

Ask Minnesota if Hutchinson was worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom