N/S TACOES! Or why Bob Griese is looking for another gig right now (1 Viewer)

First of all, Columbians don't eat tacos, they eat arepas. Tacos are a Mexican and Southwestern dish/food. Mexico and Columbia aren't even on the same continent. Which just shows the stupidity of the joke right there. If you're going to make a joke like that, at least get the punch line right.

Is Griese a racist for telling the joke? Who knows, but it was just dumb and showed poor judgement.

Isn't Taco Bell one of Juan Pablo's sponsors? I guess that makes Juan Pablo culturally insensitive to himself?

First of all, Columbians don't eat tacos, they eat arepas.

Ive seen Germans eat tacos. ive seen English people eat tacos. Ive seen Americans eat tacos. Ive seen Venezuelans and Curacaoans eat tacos Ive seen Jews eat tacos. Ive seen gentiles eat tacos. Ive seen Muslims eat tacos. Ive seen black, white, brown, yellow, red, and vegan people eat tacos.

Whats with the Colombians where they dont eat tacos?

I can see where they are coming from. You know, if someone said "Where is Aaron Brooks?" and the reply was "probably eating chicken and watermelon" there would be outrage. It's just a silly thing to say considering how America is sensitive to this kind of thing.

Or tacos are the first tasty snack he thought of and network officials are actually the ignorant ones stereotyping all Latin/Spanish speaking cultures as having the same cuisine.

He said nothing about his ethnicity and tacos have become pretty standard fare. I don't think it's that simple at all.

Right, go on the EE and start a thread to say to complete this sentence:

Juan likes to _______________.

you are going to get the following:
1) eat tacoes
2) "random illegal alien phrase"
3) etc.

Too funny. The whole thing is so goofy I had to go read the article as I just couldn't connect the dots on why a football guy would be commenting on a race car driver's lunch. Still not sure why ESPN puts up a Nascar graphic during a football game but ok. Montoya has no idea who Griese is....that is the funniest part of all of it to me.

I can see where they are coming from. You know, if someone said "Where is Aaron Brooks?" and the reply was "probably eating chicken and watermelon" there would be outrage. It's just a silly thing to say considering how America is sensitive to this kind of thing.

Oh and I can think of much funnier things to say if someone asked me "Where is Aaron Brooks?".

How could he have not know who Bob Griese is?

Plus....I'd take a chimichanga any day over a boring old tacoe.

Easy. He is not from this country and didn't start racing in the US until 1994 or so - about 15 years after Griese hung up the cleats.

all I know is, this thread is making ME want to run and get some tacos!

I'm gonna test a theory here. Hope I don't get banned.

Q: Where's Andrus?
A: He's probably eating some gumbo. :covermyeyes:

Edit: I see Roux beat me to it and appears to still be an SR.com member in good standing. WHEW!

Last edited:
Or tacos are the first tasty snack he thought of and network officials are actually the ignorant ones stereotyping all Latin/Spanish speaking cultures as having the same cuisine.

He said nothing about his ethnicity and tacos have become pretty standard fare. I don't think it's that simple at all.

I know you're probably playing devil's advocate, but that explanation would be too convoluted to make much sense. Let's be real, it has nothing to do with tacos being "standard fare." It had everything to do with Bob hearing a "Spanish-sounding" name like Juan Pablo, then then making the leap that a person named Juan Pablo would probably eat tacos since people with "Spanish-sounding" names are those commonly thought to eat tacos. The silliest part is that Colombians don't even eat tacos.

It wasn't a racist comment, it was goofy and insensitive. But if you're going to have a culturally-inclusive network in a culturally-inclusive society, you can't allow these comments no matter how stupid or silly they may be.

So because he's a Columbian and not a Mexican...he can't possibly eat tacoes?

This whole thread is hilarious.

I'm going to Tacoe Belle.

Right, go on the EE and start a thread to say to complete this sentence:

Juan likes to _______________.

you are going to get the following:
1) eat tacoes
2) "random illegal alien phrase"
3) etc.
Well, I know a feline nickname'll get you banned there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom