N/S: Tannehill traded to Titans (1 Viewer)

TB has already shown the ability to do things Tannehill did not. He makes more NFL-level throws into tight windows and is better at anticipation throws.
Hmm... yet, career wise, TD to INT, Tannehill is 123:75 Bridgewater is 29:23.

Here’s a great article on TB’s improvement his first two years in Minnesota (he started at the age of 21) and how TB really started rolling when Norv Turner finally went away from his old-school 7-step drop backs and went with more of a modern offense (much closer to what SP runs).
I wouldn't call 3230 yds 14 tds 9 ints "rolling".

TB is also incredibly smart. He was given full control of the Louisville offense as a freshman. His ability to read defenses quickly is outstanding. Again, a huge plus in an SP offense.
He's not in Kansas (or Kentucky) anymore. The way he throws picks, I don't know...

RT also let pressure affect him much more adversely. That was his biggest downfall. They both take a lot of sacks, but TB showed improvement there and didn’t let it affect the next play/series nearly as much as Tannehill.
I'll take your word for it.

Most importantly, SP has identified something special in TB and wants him. He has seen a lot more of TB since the injury and in our offense than anyone outside the building and he wants him to be our guy. His words.
Payton says a lot of things, but ok.

On the other hand, SP wanted nothing to do with RT, and the Dolphins, whose new head of personnel has been here for Tannehill’s entire career, just let him go after watching him virtually every day in practice and in games.
These are the Dolphins we are talking about, right?

So I’m pretty confident in my stance on the two players.
Ok.

Yes, he was in Honolulu. But what you are implying by saying "he was named a pro bowler" doesn't reflect the reality of how he ended going to said pro bowl. Saying he was in the 2015 pro bowl is not a compliment, not even close.

And?

How would being named a Pro Bowler not be a compliment? And I point out that he was named Pepsi Rookie of the Year to show that he was known as a good QB while he was with the Vikings. He's not the bum that some people are trying to make him out to be.

The fact is that he's played two full seasons in the league. As a rookie he was a ROY. In his second year he went to the Pro Bowl.

Hmm... yet, career wise, TD to INT, Tannehill is 123:75 Bridgewater is 29:23.

Stats aren’t everything. There’s a reason why the Dolphins and Saints both wanted TB and didn’t want Tannehill. The two teams who know each player best respectively.

I’d encourage you to watch some film of each player’s most recent season: Teddy’s 2015 and Tannehill’s 2018. Teddy’s improvement is amazing to watch, whereas Tannehill’s regression is pretty evident.

I wouldn't call 3230 yds 14 tds 9 ints "rolling".

I’d encourage you to read the article. It went to 6:1 after Turner finally changed the offense.

He's not in Kansas (or Kentucky) anymore. The way he throws picks, I don't know...

Again, the article explains this pretty well. The drop to 6:1 was a significant turning point.

Also, since this started as TB vs RT, Tannehill had more picks in his first year than TDs. He was also older.

Payton says a lot of things, but ok.

When the actions of decision-makers follow their words, you can take it to the bank.

Last edited:
How would being named a Pro Bowler not be a compliment?
Again, here. Read it, and then you tell me.

And I point out that he was named Pepsi Rookie of the Year to show that he was known as a good QB while he was with the Vikings.
Rookie QB's alone, in 2014, Derek Carr did better than Bridgewater:
Carr 3270 yds 21 tds 12 ints 24 sacks
TB.. 2919 yds 14 tds 12 ints 39 sacks

But Carr got drafted into an all around horrible team, from the GM to the water boy, a team which at the time Carr was drafted, had reached .500 only twice since the 2002 NFL season.

He's not the bum that some people are trying to make him out to be.
To be clear, no one is saying Bridgewater is a bum, well, at least not me. But he's definitely not as good as some people wanted him to be just because Payton traded a 3rd round pick to the Jets for him, and he got some dubious (perhaps not merited) accolades in 2014 and 2015.

By all accounts, Bridgewater seems to be a standup guy, well liked among the players, and that accounts for something, sure. I have absolutely nothing against him.

And yes, I'd like to see Taysom Hill get a bona fide shot at playing QB.

Again, here. Read it, and then you tell me.

Rookie QB's alone, in 2014, Derek Carr did better than Bridgewater:
Carr 3270 yds 21 tds 12 ints 24 sacks
TB.. 2919 yds 14 tds 12 ints 39 sacks

But Carr got drafted into an all around horrible team, from the GM to the water boy, a team which at the time Carr was drafted, had reached .500 only twice since the 2002 NFL season.

To be clear, no one is saying Bridgewater is a bum, well, at least not me. But he's definitely not as good as some people wanted him to be just because Payton traded a 3rd round pick to the Jets for him, and he got some dubious (perhaps not merited) accolades in 2014 and 2015.

By all accounts, Bridgewater seems to be a standup guy, well liked among the players, and that accounts for something, sure. I have absolutely nothing against him.

And yes, I'd like to see Taysom Hill get a bona fide shot at playing QB.

You’re comparing two very different offenses w/ TB and Carr those years. Vikings with Norv Turner built theirs similarly to the old-school Cowboys with Bridgewater playing the role of Aikman (whose numbers never blew anyone away) and AD playing the role of Emmitt Smith.

In fact, TB loved hitting Rudolph down the seams much like Aikman used to hit Novacek. Another reason why we need to sign Cook, but I digress.

Also, even with all that said, TB still had a higher QB rating than Carr his first two years. But again, even with that said, stats aren’t everything.

And as far as Taysom Hill goes, don’t you think Payton has a better idea than anyone whether he or TB is best for the job considering he’s watched both side by side every day? Taysom Hill just isn’t a QB.

Stats aren’t everything. There’s a reason why the Dolphins and Saints both wanted TB and didn’t want Tannehill. The two teams who know each player best respectively.
I am firmly on the "stats aren't everything camp", but that's a lot of INTs vis a vis TD's. I don't know that the Saints actually wanted Tannehill at any point. And for the record, I don't care for Tannehill.

I’d encourage you to watch some film of each player’s most recent season: Teddy’s 2015 and Tannehill’s 2018. Teddy’s improvement is amazing to watch, whereas Tannehill’s regression is pretty evident.
Did TB throw a prettier interception? Anyway, I don't think it is a valid comparison. 2018 was Tannehill's 6th season, and but for the 2016 season, it's been rough in Miami.

Also, since this started as TB vs RT, Tannehill had more picks in his first year than TDs. He was also older.
The older part is irrelevant.
Sure, comparing rookie years, Tannehill threw more INTs (13) than TB (12). Is that "much better" in on its own? No. And then when you add pass attempts, 484 vs 402...

So, in conclusion, TB is not "much better" than Tannehill, and TB has not done anything Tannehill hasn't done.

I am firmly on the "stats aren't everything camp", but that's a lot of INTs vis a vis TD's. I don't know that the Saints actually wanted Tannehill at any point. And for the record, I don't care for Tannehill.

Did TB throw a prettier interception? Anyway, I don't think it is a valid comparison. 2018 was Tannehill's 6th season, and but for the 2016 season, it's been rough in Miami.

The older part is irrelevant.
Sure, comparing rookie years, Tannehill threw more INTs (13) than TB (12). Is that "much better" in on its own? No. And then when you add pass attempts, 484 vs 402...

So, in conclusion, TB is not "much better" than Tannehill, and TB has not done anything Tannehill hasn't done.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Again, I’m pretty confident in my take here. I’ve watched both players very closely, followed both careers and looked beyond the numbers to find the nuance.

RT will never start an NFL game again other than because of injury. Teddy will be a team’s starting QB somewhere in 2020. Hopefully we are fortunate enough for it to be NO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom