n/s Team could place franchise tag on Garcia for 2009 season (1 Viewer)

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
Buccaneers | Team could place franchise tag on Garcia for 2009 season
Mon, 26 May 2008 08:59:52 -0700

Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would likely place the franchise tag on QB Jeff Garcia for the 2009 season if they can't come to an agreement on a contract extension. Garcia can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

i would laugh except they won the division last year

Buccaneers | Team could place franchise tag on Garcia for 2009 season
Mon, 26 May 2008 08:59:52 -0700

Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would likely place the franchise tag on QB Jeff Garcia for the 2009 season if they can't come to an agreement on a contract extension. Garcia can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

i would laugh except they won the division last year

I think it fits their situation. He's getting up there in age. He may only have a year or two left in the tank. However, he was productive last year (especially against the Saints), so I'd tag him.

I think it fits their situation. He's getting up there in age. He may only have a year or two left in the tank. However, he was productive last year (especially against the Saints), so I'd tag him.

I can see what you are saying, but he isn't worth the amount it will cost them to place the franchise tag on him. That is a lot of money for an aging QB.

I can see what you are saying, but he isn't worth the amount it will cost them to place the franchise tag on him. That is a lot of money for an aging QB.

I agree, he isn't worth it. But there is a huge production dropoff from him to Gradkowski. This may be an instance where they have to overpay until they can get a legitimate replacement in there, via free agency or the draft. It doesn't seem like they have much faith in their other 15 QBs they have on roster.

very true, but they can save some money by cutting a few of the 5112841225412654122 QBs they have on there roster

I have a feeling that a long term contract won't be happening. Expect to see the franchise tag. He wants a big pay day, but it won't happen for a 39 year old quarterback.

I expect lots of moaning and groaning, but in the end he'll either settle or try and move on with his career like he has done 4 times already. It's getting too late.

I just like to sit back and watch it all get messy. I hope they franchise him....remove the tag, put it back on again, he breaks his toe, so they take it off again, then he gets better but Plummer comes out of retirement and takes his spot.

The situation is actually worse. It sounds like Garcia might hold out already THIS YEAR.

Apparently he signed a contract which was heavily performance ladden. When the Bucs chose to sit him the last 2 games last season, he lost $2M which he would otherwise have earned and the FO does not want to pay. Garcia is very upset and has called out the organization.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/garcia-hints-at-holdout/

The situation is actually worse. It sounds like Garcia might hold out already THIS YEAR.

Apparently he signed a contract which was heavily performance ladden. When the Bucs chose to sit him the last 2 games last season, he lost $2M which he would otherwise have earned and the FO does not want to pay. Garcia is very upset and has called out the organization.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/garcia-hints-at-holdout/

Awesome news. I like these stories about an opponent. Nothing hurts your free agency options (or resigning your players) more than a story like this one.

I have a feeling that a long term contract won't be happening. Expect to see the franchise tag. He wants a big pay day, but it won't happen for a 39 year old quarterback.

I expect lots of moaning and groaning, but in the end he'll either settle or try and move on with his career like he has done 4 times already. It's getting too late.

Me too. That's Garcia's M.O. He's a whiner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom