N/S Tebow: I don’t know where I’m going, but I know what’s guiding me (1 Viewer)

I think people hate on him because his image is basically the perfect person. People love to hate. I personally just respect him for who he is, no need to hate.

Because he isn't a very good football player, yet was given more attention by the media than so many others that actually were.

No one hates the guy for who he is. But I will say this, that quite often the image that public figures put out into the media is rarely who they actually are. So many times entertainers are propped up in the media as these wholesome perfect role-models, when we come to learn after the fact that they were nothing even close to resembling the image that their PR department created for them.

Maybe he is the greatest person in the world and is completely genuine, but none of us actually know the guy to say for sure. So when the media takes it upon itself to repeatedly force-feed everyone with feel good stories about Tim Tebow, with all of these very specific details of every generous thing he's ever done in his lifetime, it is only natural for a lot of people to be a bit skeptical.

He can't have a role on a team like that guy from the redskins who played tightend/fullback or whatever, I believe his name was Cooley or something? He is probably a better person than player and will end up like Danny Weurful I guess.

PEOPLE HIDE BEHIND THE "I dont think he is football player" whern in fact its his belief in Jesus Christ that sooooo many object to

There are lots of "not very good" football players in the NFL and no one has a problem with them. People just don't like Tebow because he is outspoken about his beliefs.

I know what is guiding him....a chance to fame, to be a famous QB. In that aspect, he is no different than anybody who wants to make it in the NFL.

Problem is...he lacks the necessary talent to excel at the position......but the dream is still alive, and well.

Because he isn't a very good football player, yet was given more attention by the media than so many others that actually were.

No one hates the guy for who he is. But I will say this, that quite often the image that public figures put out into the media is rarely who they actually are. So many times entertainers are propped up in the media as these wholesome perfect role-models, when we come to learn after the fact that they were nothing even close to resembling the image that their PR department created for them.

Maybe he is the greatest person in the world and is completely genuine, but none of us actually know the guy to say for sure. So when the media takes it upon itself to repeatedly force-feed everyone with feel good stories about Tim Tebow, with all of these very specific details of every generous thing he's ever done in his lifetime, it is only natural for a lot of people to be a bit skeptical.

Good take.

Drew Brees, by his own and other accounts, is a man of strong Christian faith. He's also a great football player which helps to explain the respect he's earned as a player and the large fanbase he enjoys.

Tebow's Denver team had the improbable run but it mostly seemed in spite of his play. He's also a man of faith, which seems to be what drives much of his following. But he's only one of many pro athletes who express their religious beliefs and given his pretty mundane play, it's harder to understand the rah-rah enthusiasm that surrounds him.

Because of the kneeling and praying and awe-shucks-humble-all-things-are-possible demeanor, I think he got fortuitously elevated as some kind of a martyr by people who think their shared beliefs and values are 'under attack'. The media is just unashamedly milking the interest in him for their own benefit. They wouldn't care about him to the extent they do if so many people didn't care about him so much. He brings viewers and readers.

You gotta wonder, perfect person? He just seems the most boring person on the planet to me :jpshakehead:

That being said i actually like tebow and enjoyed the broncos 1 po win against the steelers and some tebowtime during the rs..but enough's enough

Perfect in the sense he doesn't talk badly about anybody and always seem to have the right answer for every question. I'm not saying he's perfect, but his image doesn't have much negativity.

Agreed. Would you say it is more of his fault or the media's for how much of the spot light is on him?

Agreed. Would you say it is more of his fault or the media's for how much of the spot light is on him?

I think it is a little bit of both.

He definitely didn't shy away from it, otherwise we wouldn't have known so many private details of his life. But the media took it and ran with it, to a really ridiculous level. I think in his mind he was drawing attention to himself for the right reasons, but he was seeking it out nonetheless.

But David M. made a really good point. The media in itself didn't care one way or another about the guy, but there were enough people interested in his story for the media to keep it going.

There are lots of "not very good" football players in the NFL and no one has a problem with them. People just don't like Tebow because he is outspoken about his beliefs.

:rolleyes:

ESPN and the media don't force his beliefs down my throat, they force that he's a good Quarterback down my throat.

I don't know. Personally, I don't care about his beliefs, and generally admire people who are outspoken, but does he have to inject his religious beliefs into every single answer to every single question? Thats what gets tiresome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom