N/S The Greatest WR that never gets talked about (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think if their were a guy that exemplifies a good WR that was at the top of his game for a long time in his career but they know about how good he is its Steve Largent of the Seattle Seahawks, I say this because the guy for almost a decade was the NFL's leading yards man and receptions. I mean he caught a lot footballs in his 14 years in the Seattle area. I know Taurus being the Seattle resident should know the Largent hype really well because he was a great player stuck on some pretty poor Hawks teams. and people know about Seattle being a grunge town and the type of place that has a very left of center politics. Largent did not seem to fit the structures of that town. He was not a very liberal guy politically and was very religious in terms of the contracts he said he was supposed to honor in the 1982 draft.

But on to football and his legacy, # 80 is sort of a forgotten guy in the NFL record books. Yeah he was a great player but he was no Jerry Rice or Art Monk or to use a more contemporary player, Randy Moss. Is it a shame to say that? Maybe it is because Steve Largent was a great player for a bad team in a time before it got good under Mike Holmgren.

Because a lot of people now see The Seahawks as winners, they did not see the bad years, the times where the stadium was half empty and the place was a dump, I mean lets face it the King dome was a very bad design of NFL architecture, but for the first 15 years of its existence they got a hero and a man whose contributions that have been overlooked by a lot of NFL people today.

I mean people talk about Jerry Rice, or Tim Brown, or Randy Moss, and etc etc, they never talk about #80, a guy who was immensely talented, was not the fastest guy in the world but he can catch footballs and would have won I think more games if he had been with another team. If Steve Largent had played with the Redskins or the Niners of that same era, God only knows what he would have done.

When SI.com ran a little thing with one historical article for each team, Largent was the guy they chose to be the Seahawks "Story"

not sure what the point of this thread is though, to be unfortunately honest

I agree 100%. Steve did not have the speed but he would get wide open on most plays. He just had a knack for turning CB's around. I watched him play every game for the Hawks from Day 1.He was definitely one of the all time greats. Zorn & Krieg(Mostly Dave) had some huge games with him catching the ball.

Not only was he slow, but he was also smallish. It was an act of courage for him to suit up. A lot of Oiler fans would have been even madder to know he was drafted by Houston, before slipping away. Largent is in the Hall of Fame, right? If not, he should be.

You know, for some reason as soon as I saw that thread title I thought Steve Largent.

i thought it was ernie conwell, because his hands were just so great. how did conwell even stay in the nfl for so long? he couldnt block well, he was slow, and he sure as hell couldnt catch a ball. but yet we kept him on the team for several years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom