N/S The Las Vegas Raiders are a Joke (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure I would call them a joke. I heard an interview with Mayok not that long ago. He said after he arrived he watched/listened how they did their talent evaluation and how it differed from his way, but he was the new guy so he was going to give them a chance. This looks like he may have just cleared house before the draft due to not agreeing with how they did things. It's probably better to do it before the draft than after the draft. It's not like Mayok doesn't know how to evaluate talent for the draft.

When you depart from accepted practice like this, either you're a fool who thinks they know better than the herd, or you actually are doing something innovative for good reason.

But diminishing the role of your scouts and essentially telling them you don't trust them isn't a sign of strong culture or good people management. And that's going to bite them, either with this group of personnel evaluators, or whoever else follows them, who will have seen how they treat their peers.

I'm on record saying I think Gruden will wash out in 3-4 years, but I can't bash this too hard.

All of us were fine with cleaning out the scouting department when we did it. The Raiders brought in a new GM and he needs to be able to do things the way he wants. He may fail, but you can't run an organization where subordinates and the boss aren't on the same page.

There’s probably a bunch of different ways to successfully pick players in the draft. Mayock and Gruden are not going with the “heated round table discussion” method. Can’t say I blame them since they will be the ones held accountable.

Mayock is a scouting guy. I don't find it odd that he'd evaluate their practices to figure out if he wanted to keep them or not. And since it became obvious he wasn't, they're all liabilities in the draft room. Make sense, but gives armchair critics something to laugh about. Whatever, keeping up with appearances for average minds is counterproductive to the mission. Like going for it on 4th and inches gets snickers from football dullards because "you're supposed to punt". Makes no sense either, but people don't like when you break from tradition if only becuase of the way it looks.

All of the real work has been done. Now the board is the thing. I can't see Gruden looking for a discussion. Mayock has done his analysis, using the whole scouting dept as a triage(probably saved him 100's of hours of film work). Cleaning house just before the draft doesn't seem to be unusual.

Way over my pay grade! Can't get into watching the draft, I get more entertainment from the collective explosions after the picks every nite. Highlights of fans in attendance can be awesome. Really like to see the attempted crawfishing of the "experts"!

I see this as all part of Gruden's plan, and I'd be shocked if Mark Davis isn't on board.

I honestly believe that the Mack trade, and the subsequent tanking are all part if a plan to be a contender in 5 or 6 years. Under the current CBA, not only are rookies cheap, in comparison to vets, but you've got the 5th year option on 1st rounders. I look to see them "poop the bed" again this year, amass more quality picks, and actually start building in a year or two. Gruden's got 10 years in Vegas, and I think it might actually be a good plan. The real questions are: Does he still have it as a coach (did he ever?)? And can he keep the players buying into his system after tanking for years?

Or it may be that due to his time in the media, he realized there was a lot of loose talk about the draft - and the media doesn't publicize how prevalent so they can continue to hear the gossip.

There has been "talk" for years that the Raider's draft room(esp under McKenzie) was very "leaky". Some years, their entire draft selection was called by a # of analysts.

I can evaluate talent better than either GM straight from my home. Mayock not all what he cracked up to be. I hve seen guys he didnt like turn out to be studs in NFL and some turn out to be not so good. Its a hit and miss but when you get paid millions teams dont hve time for misses. Jeff Ireland and Loomis are great evaluators of talent. But some teams GM and scouts have no idea.

I for one thinks that Mike Mayock has a big ego. I agree that he is a great scouting analyst, but his arrogance turns me off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom