N/S The XFL Starts A Month From Now (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The second attempt at a spring league starts next month after the AAF couldn’t even finish the season last year.
Oliver Luck has been going on a press tour promoting the League. Call me crazy, but I think this may have a shot.

9DDF8AF8-CC6A-4852-9767-95FC405F3485.jpeg

The football side of the AAF was decent and a good concept. The business side screwed over everyone.
In my opinion, the TV deal was terrible. The opening game got a decent rating and was well received. It even beat an NBA game that it was going head to head against, but every other game was on CBS Sports Net and Bleacher Report.
The XFL has a deal with ESPN, ABC, and FOX.
If they can just pay people, they should survive.

McMahon has basically put aside enough money for the league to survive its first three years.

As I understand it, the league is giving the content away for free to the broadcast partners (although the networks themselves are producing the broadcast) with a view to getting a decent rights deal at the expiration of those initial three years. That’s when they will be relying on the rights fees to flow in.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. As a long-time pro wrestling fan I really dislike Vince McMahon and it is notable that none of his business ventures outside of pro wrestling have succeeded. However, more pro football is obviously better for everyone - particularly if it gives guys an opportunity to make a living other than by following an NFL pathway.

McMahon has basically put aside enough money for the league to survive its first three years.

As I understand it, the league is giving the content away for free to the broadcast partners (although the networks themselves are producing the broadcast) with a view to getting a decent rights deal at the expiration of those initial three years. That’s when they will be relying on the rights fees to flow in.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. As a long-time pro wrestling fan I really dislike Vince McMahon and it is notable that none of his business ventures outside of pro wrestling have succeeded. However, more pro football is obviously better for everyone - particularly if it gives guys an opportunity to make a living other than by following an NFL pathway.
The first step to success is Vince divorcing himself from promoting the League. All of the press has been done by Oliver Luck.

The only thing that can fail the XFL is Vince. He’s already said he doesn’t want it to be a developmental farm league, but views it as an alternative to the NFL. To me, this just sounds like suicide.

I thought his original plan was to also air in the summer or fall rather spring. Maybe he’s had a change of heart? Maybe I was misinformed?

I’m all for a developmental league, but the wonky rules and subpar branding is going to leave me feeling meh.

The only thing that can fail the XFL is Vince. He’s already said he doesn’t want it to be a developmental farm league, but views it as an alternative to the NFL. To me, this just sounds like suicide.

I thought his original plan was to also air in the summer or fall rather spring. Maybe he’s had a change of heart? Maybe I was misinformed?

I’m all for a developmental league, but the wonky rules and subpar branding is going to leave me feeling meh.

Doing it right after the NFL season is a mistake, IMO. These days I'm burnt out on football by the time the bowls and NFL playoffs are over, and the last thing I want to watch is a subpar league straight after the Super Bowl. Most of the people I know are the same way. It's nice, especially as we get older, to have that time on the weekends back to take care of life stuff.

They'd be better off running it in the summer after everyone is starting to get hyped and frenzied for football again. May, June, July timeframes, so that you catch the "training camp hype" part of the offseason when people are starving for football so badly that they get excited over 4 second video clips of training camps. I guess you'd have some weather issues that time of year particularly in the south. But putting it right after the NFL ends is dooming it to failure. Most people are not looking for 8 straight months of football.

Graphic design seems far better than the AAF. Poor and bland design in the AAF was a hard hurdle to overcome.

Graphic design seems far better than the AAF. Poor and bland design in the AAF was a hard hurdle to overcome.

the uniforms and team branding are sooooo bad though. They’re literally all the same, but different colors. The madden relocation teams look better.

I think it was poor and bland quarterbacking, more than anything.

I'll be betting on the under in every single game opening weekend like I did in Vegas for the AAF. Free money is free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom