N/S - TIL: Jim Haslett hasn't gone more than a year without some type of football employment since leaving the Saints (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
And I'm not posting that to be snarky, as some might. I'm genuinely impressed by it.

Per his WIKI page, he was even a consultant with Penn State in 2015 (that one totally got by me somehow), sandwiched in between his stints with Washington and Cincy.

He was LB coach with the Titans for 2020 and 2021.......nothing this season......but is already slated to be a head coach and GM of an XFL team in 2023.

I guess the part that's most impressive is how infrequently he gets mentioned, despite always seeming to land somewhere.

not surprising since its a really small candidate pool to select from.

And I'm not posting that to be snarky, as some might. I'm genuinely impressed by it.

Per his WIKI page, he was even a consultant with Penn State in 2015 (that one totally got by me somehow), sandwiched in between his stints with Washington and Cincy.

He was LB coach with the Titans for 2020 and 2021.......nothing this season......but is already slated to be a head coach and GM of an XFL team in 2023.

I guess the part that's most impressive is how infrequently he gets mentioned, despite always seeming to land somewhere.
It is impressive. I guess you don't hear about him because he is never at the top of lists when it comes to coordinators or head coaches like a of the names over the years (Buddy Ryan, Wade Phillips, etc.) I never disliked Haslett, after all he did gives us our first playoff win (with some help from HAKIM DROPPED THE BALL!) And although he was really good at motivating players for a specific matchup (e.g. Rams), he just always seemed in over his head. The one thing I did find refreshing with him was that he would chew the refs up and down...unlike Mora.

It is impressive. I guess you don't hear about him because he is never at the top of lists when it comes to coordinators or head coaches like a of the names over the years (Buddy Ryan, Wade Phillips, etc.) I never disliked Haslett, after all he did gives us our first playoff win (with some help from HAKIM DROPPED THE BALL!) And although he was really good at motivating players for a specific matchup (e.g. Rams), he just always seemed in over his head. The one thing I did find refreshing with him was that he would chew the refs up and down...unlike Mora.

Yeah, I don't hold ill will, either.

He was the next step.

His era produced the first playoff win and showed us that scoring 28-plus points didn't have to be an anomaly.

I've always been interested in this....coaches can fail MISERABLY.....but once they get to that pantheon of head coach, major coordinator....they will always have a good job in football. No matter how many times they fail.

Had the talent to make the playoffs every year, but his teams were undisciplined (penalties, boneheaded plays at key moments--sound familiar?)

He also allowed Joe Horn too much leeway with his attitude & it trickled down to the rest of the team. Byran Cox played his last year here & said the team followed Joe's lead & that included dogging it in practice, mouthing off to coaches, taking plays off, etc

I've always been interested in this....coaches can fail MISERABLY.....but once they get to that pantheon of head coach, major coordinator....they will always have a good job in football. No matter how many times they fail.
Works that way in business too. Once someone hits the C suite, they just keep getting those jobs no matter how much they keep failing.

I cannot remember her name off the top of my head, but she's been bouncing around from big name company to big name company as the CEO, and every time she tanks the company but somehow companies just keep hiring her.

A company I worked for in the past had a VP that was fired for-cause because they were found to be embezzling funds from the company. Took two weeks after he was fired to get a new job as some start-ups CEO. We steal 10 dollars and we go to jail. Rich person steals hundreds of thousands of dollars and they get a promotion.

Yeah, I don't hold ill will, either.

He was the next step.

His era produced the first playoff win and showed us that scoring 28-plus points didn't have to be an anomaly.
Yep, he and Aaron Brooks both had significant flaws (Haslett badly mismanaged the home stretch of 2002), but they got us our first playoff win against a team that won the Super Bowl the previous year and would play in it again the following year in a game where our 1000-yard RB was out and our best WR left with an injury after the 2nd or 3rd play.

Had the talent to make the playoffs every year, but his teams were undisciplined (penalties, boneheaded plays at key moments--sound familiar?)

He also allowed Joe Horn too much leeway with his attitude & it trickled down to the rest of the team. Byran Cox played his last year here & said the team followed Joe's lead & that included dogging it in practice, mouthing off to coaches, taking plays off, etc
Not sure where this came from. Can’t speak much for Bryan Cox but I sat in the Joe Horn section of the dome for those years. He was always the 1st out in warm ups and last to leave to the locker room. The guy was a professional and played with tons of passion and emotion. The dude never stopped working. I remember a game close to Christmas (against the Giants and may have been the cell phone game) but by his 3rd or 4th score ran a fade on basically one leg to secure a TD pass because he had got hurt during the game when the season was over at that point. Joe Horn was nothing less that a warrior and leader to those teams he played on. His “attitude” didn’t come into play until Payton came in 2006 when Colston and Henderson allowed them to let him walk in free agency and not pay him top dollar that he wanted.

I'd take Haz over DA any day
Jim Haslett's career record as an NFL head coach is .469 in the regular season, and .500 in the playoffs. This is roughly double DA's winning percentage as an NFL head coach.

I wouldn't take Haslett nowadays because he's gotten a bit old and the league's evolution favors younger, offensive-minded HCs. But Haslett's career winning percentage, if he achieved it this year in the NFCS, would be basically tied for the division lead, depending on whether on of those above-Allen wins were against the Bucs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom