N/S: Trufant might hit the market? (1 Viewer)

Saints382

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
'Meanwhile, this also might have been the last game as a Seahawk for cornerback Marcus Trufant and wide receiver D.J. Hackett, both unrestricted free agents in the offseason.

Trufant became a Pro Bowl player this season, recognized as a shutdown corner who had seven regular-season interceptions.

He is in line to make an estimated $9 million a season in a multiyear contract. The Tacoma native suggested he is not willing to give the Seahawks a home-town discount if they are not willing to pay him market value.'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/253503.html

As I said before, I really think think Marcus could hit the market. The franchise tag for a corner this year is 9 million, which = the Seahawks cap space for this year.

Also, I really think the Seahawks will try to keep Hackett, in any way they can. He is their most reliable WR with play-making skills. So they could possibly franchise him, or use any available cap space to try and re-sign him. On 'rotoworld' they speculate that they could use the franchise tag on Hackett as well, due to Deion Branch's injury possibly being really serious.

So if all that happens, their is NO way they can keep Trufant and he can hit the market..and let's hope and pray we go after him and we sign him. :ezbill:

No. They'll keep him.

Would be nice though..

Seahawks have invested some high draft picks in the position over the past couple of years and are happy with their young corners. They're also up against the cap.

While they could probablu accomodate a franchised Trufant if they put their mind to it, it wouldn't be comfortable. I figure they'll let him walk actually (or franchise him strictly to trade him before the draft).

The Saints will not outbid all other teams for one of the top players at any position who is also highly coveted. They haven't done it in a decade and certainly won't do it now.

They did it two years ago for Drew Brees. They offered more than the Dolphins (and he still preferred the Dolphins). I think they know they have to make drastic improvement on defense this year. Now, more than ever, they're likely to spend big bucks on at least one defensive free agent.

They did it two years ago for Drew Brees. They offered more than the Dolphins (and he still preferred the Dolphins). I think they know they have to make drastic improvement on defense this year. Now, more than ever, they're likely to spend big bucks on at least one defensive free agent.

No, it was much different circumstances. Think about it: Would a highly coveted QB simply leave a team as an unrestricted FA?

The last guy we outbid the NFL for was Norman Hand

No, it was much different circumstances. Think about it: Would a highly coveted QB simply leave a team as an unrestricted FA?

The last guy we outbid the NFL for was Norman Hand

We outbid for Wayne Gandy who was supposedly the top OT on the market. Beat out the Miami Dolphins for him ironically.

And you can say "different circumstances" all you want in regards to Brees. He recieved a bigger contract then any other QB on the market. We didn't go Josh McCown, Jon Kitna, or anyone else. We paid for the top player at a position on the market.

The Saints KNOW they are dreading at CB, they have the money to improve it...and I think they will...even if they have to outbid someone.

Also, didn't we have to outbid a team or 2 for WAYNE GANDY's services?

The Saints will not outbid all other teams for one of the top players at any position who is also highly coveted. They haven't done it in a decade and certainly won't do it now.

yeah i don't count brees either, cause he was injured. i can't think of anyone recently who was a free agent from another team that alot of other teams wanted and we outbid them and got the free agent. not saying it is a bad thing, it just hasn't happened. so the brings, samuel, haynesworth, etc dreams are just that, dreams.

We outbid for Wayne Gandy who was supposedly the top OT on the market. Beat out the Miami Dolphins for him ironically.

And you can say "different circumstances" all you want in regards to Brees. He recieved a bigger contract then any other QB on the market. We didn't go Josh McCown, Jon Kitna, or anyone else. We paid for the top player at a position on the market.

I'm not saying the Saints won't outbid for a player. I'm saying the Saints won't outbid for a highly coveted player who is also one of the best at his position in the entire NFL. At no point has Gandy been considered one of the best at his position. And when we signed Drew Brees he was coveted by one other team and he couldn't throw a ball ten yards. He does not count, that was luck on our part. If he never gets hurt, he's never a New Orleans Saint.

Trufant is one big-name player that just might hit FA. They've got Kelly Jennings, they drafted Josh Wilson this year and they've extended Jordan Babineaux, who can play safety or corner. Considering the Seattle cap issues, they just might let Trufant walk. Hard to let someone that good, who was a 1st round pick at a premium position and in the prime of his career, just walk away. I would expect them to restructure some contracts and make some moves to keep him, because you just don't let guys like that get away.

yeah i don't count brees either, cause he was injured. i can't think of anyone recently who was a free agent from another team that alot of other teams wanted and we outbid them and got the free agent. not saying it is a bad thing, it just hasn't happened. so the brings, samuel, haynesworth, etc dreams are just that, dreams.

What does Brees being injured have to do with it?

The fact is, is that the Saints went out and paid alot of money for a highly coveted player - which has worked out with much success. But that's not always going to be the case.

Going out and signing a big name in FA isn't always the answer. It doesn't always work, so you can't expect the Saints to go throw around money every year for players that they aren't 100 % sold on.

Alot of people wanted Adalius Thomas last year, but the Pats signed him. He has NOT been anything special on that defense. Alot of people wanted the Saints to sign Ed Hartwell a couple years ago off of the Ravens, but Atlanta signed him. He never amounted to anything in Atlanta - except a big cap hit.

Obviously those are just two examples off the top of my head. Of course some big name FA's work out well for the team that pays them. But on the other hand, alot of these guys just excel in the system that they were playing in. So when they go to another team that doesn't have as much talent around them as they had before, they just aren't able to make as much of an impact. That's why the Ed Hartwell and Adalius Thomas are good examples. They both came from Baltimore who has loads of defensive talent every year, which helps players rack up great stat lines playing alongside great talent. But when they left to go to a different scheme, their great stats don't always come along.

So when Lance Briggs becomes a FA this offseason, just remember who he was playing with in Chicago. He definitley looked great playing along side Brian Urlacher - but he won't have the same luxury in New Orleans. Just something to think about, before you expect the Saints to blow all of their cap space on someone who may or may not have been just a product of the system in Chicago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom