N/S: Trufant might hit the market? (1 Viewer)

At no point has Gandy been considered one of the best at his position.

Gandy was the top Offensive Tackle in Free Agency that year. I don't know how else to phrase it. He was the top available free agent at that position. He was highly coveted. We outbid everyone else.

The Saints knew that they needed a QB to have any success and they went and outbid a better team at the time for Drew Brees. So they have spent money in a bidding war for a player.

The Saints are dead at CB they have nothing going for them and they need to drop the money to bring in a guy like Trufant.

he's a probowl caliber player in a position that we desperately need help in. to me, he's the kind of guy you break the bank for. sad thing is we will still need to bring in an additional corner to play the other side unless young really grows into the #2 corner position.

It's completely irrelevant if he was the top FA at his position. Was he one of the top players overall at his position? I'm the one who made the statement "I'm saying the Saints won't outbid for a highly coveted player who is also one of the best at his position in the entire NFL."

I don't know how else to phrase it.

It's completely irrelevant if he was the top FA at his position. Was he one of the top players overall at his position? I'm the one who made the statement "I'm saying the Saints won't outbid for a highly coveted player who is also one of the best at his position in the entire NFL."

You act as if the best players in the NFL are Free Agents every year.

How often is someone that is the best at their position a Free Agent?

When does that happen?

And Norman Hand was? Hell is Trufant? I can think of 4 or 5 CBs I'd take over Trufant right now (Samuel, Bailey, Nnamdi, Antonio Cromartie, etc).

So what's your point? If we're talking about whether the Saints will spend money to get the top player available in Free Agency at a postion, they've done so repeatedly. That has relevance here.

And Norman Hand was? Hell is Trufant? I can think of 4 or 5 CBs I'd take over Trufant right now (Samuel, Bailey, Nnamdi, Antonio Cromartie, etc).

So what's your point? If we're talking about whether the Saints will spend money to get the top player available in Free Agency at a postion, they've done so repeatedly. That has relevance here.

He's just not going to get it, he just won't listen.

You've proved your point repeatedly - but he's just pretending otherwise.

Drayton Florence looks awful. I will cry if we sign him as the solution to our cornerback issues. I hope Trufant gets to hit free agency and we are in the bidding for him. The front office will have to identify which corner they want and zero in on him. If they invite both Trufant and Samuel in for visits they'll get neither. If one of the visits a team who convinces them they're the only guy they want and the money is right they'll sign. Guys like Will Witherspoon, Nate Clements etc. only have to take one visit and they sign

Drayton Florence looks awful. I will cry if we sign him as the solution to our cornerback issues.

Florence has had a very poor season this year. But he had a very good season last year so :shrug: Kind of a mixed bag there. I think you have to identify what's happened between last year and this year.

Drayton Florence looks awful. I will cry if we sign him as the solution to our cornerback issues. I hope Trufant gets to hit free agency and we are in the bidding for him. The front office will have to identify which corner they want and zero in on him. If they invite both Trufant and Samuel in for visits they'll get neither. If one of the visits a team who convinces them they're the only guy they want and the money is right they'll sign. Guys like Will Witherspoon, Nate Clements etc. only have to take one visit and they sign

Yeah, Florence doesn't look too good. Maybe as a #3 or #4 CB, I would take him.

Hopefully, our target CB is Trufant. He is a man-to-man to CB, and he won't command much money as Samuels will.

1. Norman Hand and Marcus Trufant are much better at their position than Wayne {mod edit - :nono: no veiled profanity per the TOS, please - kd} Gandy. Both are/were franchised players. That means they're extremely valuable. Gandy was never a franchised player nor was he ever really considered for it.

2. The Saints will sign a top player in FA as long as it's the top player who's not going to require top 6 money at the position. That's the difference. Trufant, Hand, Briggs, Samuels will all command top 6 if not top 3 money at their position. The Saints won't do it. They might re-sign a guy for top money, but they sure as hell aren't about to pay Lance Briggs money, so Lance Briggs is a pipe dream.

3. For Reasonable Doubt-- top players are extremely rare in free agency, but there are some and none have been Saints targets. Nate Clements, Steve Hutchinson, Edgerrin James(injured the year before FA?), John Abraham, Julian Peterson. There are some. I'm not saying the Saints should have signed one of those players, but what I am saying is that the Saints do NOT pursue high, high priced FAs. It could very well be that those players weren't rated highly by the Saints, I don't know, but it's been practically a decade. And to be honest the last big name, big money player the Saints have signed that I can remember is Eric Allen. Although Norman Hand was a big money player, he certainly wasn't a big name to the common NFL fan.

We have no choice, we have to go after a high profile corner. Do we want Jason David covering #1 WR's or even a FA like Drayton Florence?

He's just not going to get it, he just won't listen.

You've proved your point repeatedly - but he's just pretending otherwise.

The only point y'all have proven is that the Saints will pay money for a player who's not recognized as a top player at his position, but rather a top positional player in free agency which has nothing to do with what I've been saying.

What does Brees being injured have to do with it?

The fact is, is that the Saints went out and paid alot of money for a highly coveted player - which has worked out with much success. But that's not always going to be the case.

Going out and signing a big name in FA isn't always the answer. It doesn't always work, so you can't expect the Saints to go throw around money every year for players that they aren't 100 % sold on.

i was simply replying to the poster who said it first and I still stand by my response to HIS statement. he said outbid all other teams for one of the top players at any position who is also HIGHLY COVETED (2 out of 32 teams does not mean highly coveted). i love brees as much as anyone but he does not fit what the poster said. brees was injured, released, and as far as we know only miami and new orleans made high bids.

i also said it wasn't a bad thing (i wasn't putting the saints down). my main point of that post , was saying for all the people wanting the big name free agents it ain't gonna happen. I do not want the saints to throw money around, I would like them to be better than 7-9.

I also do not remember Gandy fitting that criteria either.

I would rather see a player or 2 that would bolster the pass rush(By collapsing the middle & the pocket) and make the Saints strong in the trenches. I believe that the secondary in turn would be much better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom