N/S: Trufaunt not getting tagged? (1 Viewer)

With the assumption that McKenzie does not start at the beginning of the 08-09 season, is there possibly any other team more desperate at cornerback than the New Orleans Saints?

Top 2 corners:

Saints
1. Jason David
2. Usama Young

Lions
1. Fernando Bryant
2. Travis Fisher

Patriots (possibly?)
1. Ellis Hobbs
2. 1st or 2nd round draft pick

Its a close tie between us and the Detroit Lions, but it seems pretty evident that we would have the 2 worst starting corners going into next season without MM. That would make us, the No.1 candidate for the best corner to hit free agency.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Trufant himself said that he wouldn't give them a "hometown discount". Also, the Seahawks have little cap room to do moves this year, and a deal Tru wants will likely eat their entire cap. They also have young CB's that they have groomed for the future.

you make good points, and for the saints sake i really hope your correct...but i lived in Seattle for 4 years and worked in Television and have met Tru many times and gone to many of his fundraisers and community events and he is a community GIANT!! he loves seattle, his hometown tacoma, and I cant see him leaving his community...although he can still do great things for his beloved community while in NO or somewere else...and after seeing Jamie Moyer leave seattle i guess anything is possible...

'The "buzz at the Pro Bowl" is reportedly that free agent CB Marcus Trufant will get a bigger contract than Nate Clements this offseason.
Trufant took his game to another level in 2007 and it doesn't look like the Seahawks will pay the $8 million it would take to franchise him. Seattle has 2007 second-round pick Josh Wilson ready for a bigger role.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

You guys think the Saints are going to spend that much? To tell ya the truth, I rather sign Corey Williams and then go with a Florence or William James at CB.

You guys think the Saints are going to spend that much? To tell ya the truth, I rather sign Corey Williams and then go with a Florence or William James at CB.

+1

and then draft Leodis McKelvin at 10

People mentioning Asomugha in this thread:

HE IS NOT GOING TO BE A FREE AGENT!

[size=+5]FRANCHISE TAG![/size]

'The "buzz at the Pro Bowl" is reportedly that free agent CB Marcus Trufant will get a bigger contract than Nate Clements this offseason.
Trufant took his game to another level in 2007 and it doesn't look like the Seahawks will pay the $8 million it would take to franchise him. Seattle has 2007 second-round pick Josh Wilson ready for a bigger role.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

He's worth more than Clements, whose deal is pure window dressing; it's heavily back-loaded with money that he will never see. He's not getting $10 million/year. The big hit in his contract is this year, when he's due a $10 million roster bonus, on top of his $3+ million salary. After that, it's pretty soft until 2012, when he makes $9 million. By that time, he'll re-structure or be cut.

The Saints need to get at least one serious impact player in free agency on defense. I don't care who it is or in what position but someone needs to do it.

Even if we don't sign Samuels or Trufant, just them hitting the market means that people will be after them and we will have our pick of any of the guys who shouldn't be starting for any team.

Rock on.

New info....

'Another potential free agent cornerback in for a big payday is Seattle's Marcus Trufant, though his situation is a bit more complex.

Trufant is drawing great attention around the league as teams wait and see what the Seahawks plans are for their All Pro player.

An NFL source has told us there's been virtually no contact between the team and Trufant the past month regarding his contract. Considering the number of players presently on the Seattle roster who could be headed for free agency, the prevailing thought is the Seahawks would not have enough money under the cap to franchise Trufant.

Hence a long term deal could be the team's only way out if they want to keep him. Trufant's starting point for a contract is likely to be in the range of the one handed to Nate Clements by San Francisco last season.'

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=57

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom