N / S UNH tight end Scott Sicko looks set to quit football (1 Viewer)

Ross

Scottish Who Dat!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can you retire without ever getting drafted?

UNH tight end Scott Sicko essentially did that Saturday after he failed to get taken on day three of the draft. He had numerous offers from teams such as the Jaguars and Jets. His agents even had a deal agreed to with the Cowboys at one point.

If I were to be drafted I would have had more confidence of a much longer career in the NFL," Sicko told the Albany Times-Union. "I have to look at my life and decide what will make me the happiest. And the thing that will make me the happiest now and in the long run is to pursue my education."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/24/player-goes-undrafted-says-no-thanks-to-teams/

Sounds like too much pride. You don't have a be drafted to be a great nfl player.

Sound to me like a quitter..But at least he's going to do something like pursuing his education

So if he would've been drafted in the 7th round, he would've played? He seems thin-skinned to me.

honestly id rather go undrafted then get picked in the 7th. either way you're gonna be making league minimum most of the time, and if you go undrafted at least you can select which team u wanna go to.

It's cool he's pursuing his education, but dude sounds like a quitter and was probably crossing his fingers not to get drafted so he wouldn't have to actually quit on a team, instead he quit on them all.

I don't understand why some are being so hard on him. He basically said "I'd rather not play football than play for the Cowgirls." You gotta hand him credit for that.

I don't understand why some are being so hard on him. He basically said "I'd rather not play football than play for the Cowgirls." You gotta hand him credit for that.

Now that you put it that way, I guess I have to take back what I wrote. Anyone that tells the Cowboys to shove it is cool.

This dude is worth picking up just for his name.

Sounds pretty smart to me. The odds of him making a roster are thin so why not keep up with the education. Heck we don't know if he'll lose a scholarship or something by taking a year off to pursue football. More power to the kid..............at least he is thinking long term.

It's admirable to pursue his education, but you can still do that if playing in the NFL; several players have.

With an attitude that you won't have that long of a career unless you are drafted pretty much tells me his career wouldn't have been that long even if he had been drafted. Hard work and dedication give you a long career - drafted or not.

Look how many undrafted players are thriving on just on our team. And just being drafted doesn't guarantee that you'll ever see a regular season game...

If you think you are good enough that you should have been drafted, that should give you the drive to prove how wrong teams were for passing on you. And if not being drafted shakes your confidence so much that you won't even try - that also shows you weren't worth a draft pick in the first place.

Sheesh, what a fool. Unless he truly doesn't like football, or its not for him thats fine, but to turn down an offer, no matter whether your drafted or not, because of your pride is just down right foolish. Chances like these don't come along often, really they are once in a life time. I always had a hard time understanding how these athletes throw away these opportunities, i really think they just don't understand how lucky they are... smh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom