N/S - Vikings Update (1 Viewer)

VikesFan2017

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I haven't been around much and thought I would check in.
We don't have you on the schedule this year so not as much to build up to. Maybe we'll scratch our way into the playoffs and face you again. It's a popular matchup for NFL fans.

Anyway, things are dead up here. As much as local radio has been trying to get people excited, the fan base after last year has more of a "we'll believe it when we see it" attitude towards the team. Skepticism is high, and if the team doesn't perform well early, expect that heat to be cranked up high on Cousins (and maybe eventually on Slick Rick Spielman, our ineffective GM of 15+ years).

GB should be better. Chicago, division Champs, and Detroit... who knows. Should be an interesting NFC North again this year.

Hey, don't sell short our preseason opener on Aug. 9 vs. y'all! :)

How do you feel GB has gotten better?

Also, I'm interested to see how the Bears handle success. They won't sneak up on anyone this year. Trubisky showed flashes last year, but was inconsistent. I remember in 2000 Saints fans thought we were at the start of something great when we had an out-of-nowhere division champ season and were led by our own inexperienced-but-athletic QB, only to be mired in mediocrity for the next few years. Last year's Bears had a better defense than the 2000 Saints, but as a Vikings fan, you should defensive performance can be highly variable season to season. You had an elite defense in 2017 that regressed to being just ordinary-to-decent last year. I wouldn't be surprised if CHI wins the division, but I'm not certain they'll recapture last year's success.

Hi all,
We don't have you on the schedule this year so not as much to build up to. Maybe we'll scratch our way into the playoffs and face you again. It's a popular matchup for NFL fans.

Anyway, things are dead up here. As much as local radio has been trying to get people excited, the fan base after last year has more of a "we'll believe it when we see it" attitude towards the team. Skepticism is high, and if the team doesn't perform well early, expect that heat to be cranked up high on Cousins (and maybe eventually on Slick Rick Spielman, our ineffective GM of 15+ years).

GB should be better. Chicago, division Champs, and Detroit... who knows. Should be an interesting NFC North again this year.

Also, I'm interested to see how the Bears handle success. They won't sneak up on anyone this year. Trubisky showed flashes last year, but was inconsistent. I remember in 2000 Saints fans thought we were at the start of something great when we had an out-of-nowhere division champ season and were led by our own inexperienced-but-athletic QB, only to be mired in mediocrity for the next few years. Last year's Bears had a better defense than the 2000 Saints, but as a Vikings fan, you should defensive performance can be highly variable season to season. You had an elite defense in 2017 that regressed to being just ordinary-to-decent last year. I wouldn't be surprised if CHI wins the division, but I'm not certain they'll recapture last year's success.

Packers new gm is very active in FA unlike Thompson. They spend a ton on de. Will it work out? Who knows but Rodgers teams always scare me

You know, in a way, I think if you go back to 06 and the start of the Brees/Payton era, the Saints/Packers have had pretty similar experiences. No-brainer HOF QB, 1 Super Bowl, and a couple of absolutely brutal playoff losses (including OT NFCCG losses for both). Both teams' fanbases will remember the eras fondly, but will also likely have the nagging feeling that they could/should've won more.

Packers new gm is very active in FA unlike Thompson. They spend a ton on de. Will it work out? Who knows but Rodgers teams always scare me

1. Green Bay has a new head coach, so we can't rely on McCarthy to screw things up any more and Aaron Rodgers is.... Aaron Rodgers yet. Hopefully he retires soon. GB defense should be vastly improved since they were horrible last year. It's the rookie head coach bump working for GB this year.

2. Chicago. I wasn't a Trubisky believer, but he appears to have the Vikings' Case Keenum horseshoe when he plays. Against us, he had a 165 yards passing and 163 yards passing and won both games. (The second one easily). The biggest reason to think the Bears might come back to the pack is due to their turnover margin last year which was unusually high and possibly a bit too lucky to continue.

3. Detroit. Matt Patricia... who knows. Good QB.

Vikings are hoping our drafting of big, heavy dudes called "offensive linemen" will help our offense after ignoring that role for years.

That's true re: GB. If your defense is completely inept one year and you still finish 7-9, and if the defense just improves to mediocre the following year, that could be a playoff team.

1. Green Bay has a new head coach, so we can't rely on McCarthy to screw things up any more and Aaron Rodgers is.... Aaron Rodgers yet. Hopefully he retires soon. GB defense should be vastly improved since they were horrible last year. It's the rookie head coach bump working for GB this year.

2. Chicago. I wasn't a Trubisky believer, but he appears to have the Vikings' Case Keenum horseshoe when he plays. Against us, he had a 165 yards passing and 163 yards passing and won both games. (The second one easily). The biggest reason to think the Bears might come back to the pack is due to their turnover margin last year which was unusually high and possibly a bit too lucky to continue.

3. Detroit. Matt Patricia... who knows. Good QB.

Vikings are hoping our drafting of big, heavy dudes called "offensive linemen" will help our offense after ignoring that role for years.

Hi all,

My opinion on the Vikes is the under the radar move most people didn't pay attention to, which was promoting Kevin Stefanski to OC. He was the QB coach under Shurmur and the man who should of got the job the year before. The Vikes went with the Eagles QB coach John Defilippo would ran an offense that Zimmer didn't like. Defilippo was more pass first. Zimmer wants to be a run first and have a smothering D. I think Stefanski will go back to more of what they ran in 2017, which will be aided with a healthy Cook.

You know, in a way, I think if you go back to 06 and the start of the Brees/Payton era, the Saints/Packers have had pretty similar experiences. No-brainer HOF QB, 1 Super Bowl, and a couple of absolutely brutal playoff losses (including OT NFCCG losses for both). Both teams' fanbases will remember the eras fondly, but will also likely have the nagging feeling that they could/should've won more.
Wow FGE I think about this all the time. If Brees doesn’t get 2 rings it’s a travesty. Not that it’s a waste of his talent but for years we couldn’t build a de. I’m not sure we will ever have a team this good again

Thanks for the friendly and civil post, OP. Sorry I can't comment on the Vikings, I know nothing about them.

I've thought about it a lot during this offseason. I looked up the Super Bowl-era HOF QBs and how many Super Bowls they won.

0: Fouts, Moon, Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton
1: Brees, Rodgers (I think it's safe to assume both make it), Favre, Stabler, Dawson, Namath, Warner, Young (I'm only counting what he won as the starter)

Manning, Elway, Griese, Aikman, Montana, Bradshaw, Starr, and Brady (again, safe to assume) are the only ones with more than one...and several of those depended on stellar running games and/or defenses to get them.

Wow FGE I think about this all the time. If Brees doesn’t get 2 rings it’s a travesty. Not that it’s a waste of his talent but for years we couldn’t build a de. I’m not sure we will ever have a team this good again

I've thought about it a lot during this offseason. I looked up the Super Bowl-era HOF QBs and how many Super Bowls they won.

1: Brees, Rodgers (I think it's safe to assume both make it), Favre, Stabler, Dawson, Namath, Warner, Young (I'm only counting what he won as the starter)

Manning, Elway, Griese, Aikman, Montana, Bradshaw, Starr, and Brady (again, safe to assume) are the only ones with more than one...and several of those depended on stellar running games and/or defenses to get them.
Fascinating post.

Its funny bc last year I naturally hated the Vikings so much for that Divisional game but now after the debacle that was January 2019, it all feels so whatever now comparatively :LOL:

Well that makes me feel better when I see the list lol but would be nice to be in the bottom paragraph lol

As annoying as that game was, I could at least appreciate that the Vikings have a long-suffering fan base (unlike the Rams) and that 2017 was probably Philly's year in the same way 09 was our year. The 2018 Saints had some unfortunately timed injuries (Rankins, Dez Bryant before he plays a single game, Peat's broken hand), but the 2017 defense was giving lots of snaps in the playoffs to guys we brought in off the street at the end of the season and who haven't played a down of NFL football since (Jonathan Freeny, George Johnson, Woodrow Hamilton, Tony McDaniel). We had so many starters and 2nd-stringers out for the year by the time we made the 2017 playoffs (Okafor, Vaccaro, Klein, Okafor, Anzalone, and more). And Fleener, Kuhn, & Peat were out on the offensive side of the ball. Tough loss, but I'm less confident about how we would've fared in PHI or vs. NE than I am had we advanced last season.

Its funny bc last year I naturally hated the Vikings so much for that Divisional game but now after the debacle that was January 2019, it all feels so whatever now comparatively :LOL:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom