N/S Vikings willing to trade P. Harvin (1 Viewer)

Kurgan

Ked' sme sami som tak rád
Reaction score
Sources tell Mike Max of WCCO in Minneapolis that Spielman will indeed actively pursue a Harvin trade on the heels of a November meltdown directed at head coach Leslie Frazier. The incident happened in front of teammates, who didn't take well to Harvin's tirade just a couple of years after a similar blowup directed at former coach Brad Childress. It was also believed to be the real reason that Harvin was unexpectedly placed on injured reserve with an ankle ailment that didn't require surgery. [...]
Any team dealing for Harvin will have to pony up for an extension, likely more than $10 million per season. Considering his baggage, an NFL personnel man estimated that Harvin would fetch just a second- or third-round pick in return. One writer covering the Vikings bets the New England Patriots will go after Harvin, as head coach Bill Belichick "loves" the league's premier slot receiver.

Report: Vikings will actively pursue Percy Harvin trade - NFL.com

Just food for thought. I don't think we have the money to sign harvin to an extension worth of 10+mln$ per year, but what do you think about it? I didn't know about his tirades with childress or frazier, but if we had the money, would you be willing to part with this year's 3rd or next year's 2nd round pick for harvin?

He tore some ligaments when he sprained his ankle, they IR'ed him to play it safe. Honestly, the guy is only 24...SP could do wonders with him and he wouldn't have the chance to be a nuisance in the locker room with guys like Drew and Jahri evans in there..something he lacked in Minnesota. A double slot set with Harvin and Moore would be deadly.

Didn't he have some injury (maybe health related) issues?

If you read that piece, they insinuate that he's a head case and the reason why they are perusing a trade. He will be asking for a big contract soon and the Vikings doesn't want to commit to him long term because of his attitude.

No thanks...I'd much rather spend that kind of money/trade assets on improving the defense. We don't need anymore toys on offense.

If you read that piece, they insinuate that he's a head case and the reason why they are perusing a trade. He will be asking for a big contract soon and the Vikings doesn't want to commit to him long term because of his attitude.

So was Shockey, but the Saints absorbed his shenanigans without issue, and released him when the issues did not balance with production anymore. Now, Harvin is a bit of a different case. He has had situations dating back to high school, resulting in the Virginia High School League suspending him from athletic competition. He has a history of challenging the authority of his coaches and even officials, and that type of baggage has the strong potential to outweigh any level of on field benefit.

So was Shockey, but the Saints absorbed his shenanigans without issue, and released him when the issues did not balance with production anymore. Now, Harvin is a bit of a different case. He has had situations dating back to high school, resulting in the Virginia High School League suspending him from athletic competition. He has a history of challenging the authority of his coaches and even officials, and that type of baggage has the strong potential to outweigh any level of on field benefit.

The reason why I hate the Shockey example is because Payton had first hand experience with him and that is usually the difference in most cases. Shockey also had a large amount of respect for Payton.

The thing that should make teams worry about Harvin is the fact that whoever trades for him will be forced to give him a big contract immediately as he should be up for one this year. That's a risky proposition for a team who not only have to give up draft pick/s for him but also big money without ever having to see what he's like.

I think that if a team like the Vikings who lacks a proven replacement for him or a #1 wr and they're trying to send him off, it make me even a bit more weary.

The reason why I hate the Shockey example is because Payton had first hand experience with him and that is usually the difference in most cases. Shockey also had a large amount of respect for Payton.

The thing that should make teams worry about Harvin is the fact that whoever trades for him will be forced to give him a big contract immediately as he should be up for one this year. That's a risky proposition for a team who not only have to give up draft pick/s for him but also big money without ever having to see what he's like.

I think that if a team like the Vikings who lacks a proven replacement for him or a #1 wr and they're trying to send him off, it make me even a bit more weary.

I only mentioned Shockey to point out that the Saints aren’t opposed to taking chances on players with bad reputations. I agree that Harvin is a different animal altogether.

I know we have very, very serious problems on defense but I wouldn't be upset if Payton found a way to get Harvin. He's extremely versatile, still young and is dangerous. Honestly, living here in Minneapolis, I never got the feeling Harvin wanted to play for the Vikings. If anything its no so much his locker room behavior--I think he would do just fine here and never would he think about disrespecting Payton--I think his migraines could be concerning.

But back to reality, yes, we have too many defensive needs.

There's no point throwing away money for an injury plagued player. Sure, he has potential, but if he's gonna be hurt all year and only play a few games, then I'd rather stay away. Besides, we have guys like Nick Toon, Andy Tanner to name a few that everyone seems to forget...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom