N/S, Vince Young had very impressive Pro Day (1 Viewer)

Vince would never fit in this system. Bread excels at the quick read through his options and strike. From the limited amount I saw from VY, he was not that style of QB. If someone is looking for a more deliberate QB, able to get out of the pocket and move with a really strong running game he can still be successful I'm sure. But in Payton's quick strike offense no way.

Does Bread excel at that? That is some talented bread, where do you buy it? lol j/k auto correct?

But i agree 100% Vince doesn't fit our system at all, i don't think he could fit, and i doubt he would last long here...

If we are talking about back ups, i really think FitzP is our best choice for a back up qb.

A backup's job is to not just hold the clipboard and wait for the starter to be injured. They do film study with the starter and share something the starter possibly missed on field or through pictures.

With that said, VY's problem has never been physical as he is quite an athlete. I wouldn't want VY because of his mental issues including mental mistakes, possible mental illness, and grand speculation that he's just not that smart.

Unless you can draw a correlation between throwing less TD's, throwing more INT's, and winning % then this is a pointless argument.

Few teams are going to hang their season on a guy who "just wins" but actually sucks while doing it because that points to other factors propping up his winning %.

In the meantime he's injury prone and has mental issues as well.

So, basically, what you are saying is that Daunte Culpepper is a better quarterback than Phil Simms. Because Culpepper has a higher td%, lower int %, and lower sack % than Simms. The only thing Simms is better at is winning games. He only has "just wins". I seem to remember to the Titans starting out 0-6 with Kerry Collins, another journeyman QB who kept getting starting gigs, and then switched to VY and magically finished 8-2. Was it all VY? No. Was it some of VY? Of course. How much? Who knows. But he won. You telling me the Bills, Raiders, or Jags can't take a shot on QB who has won 62% of his football games while "sucking" yet teams can start guys like Cutler who win 54% of the time while "mildly sucking"? Am I advocating a Kap replacing Alex Smith type move for a contender? No. But there are around 5 teams in this league who can use a guy like VY to start. Or at least take a chance. Speaking of Alex Smith:

3.7 td%, 2.9 int%, 8.3 sack %, 50% win percentage. Yet, he gets another starting gig in KC. But, a team shouldn't take a chance on VY. Please...

Also, why is the headcase and mental illness stuff coming up? If the wins from "years ago" are irrelevant why are the headcase stuff from the same time period somehow relevant? How does that work?

I think he'd b an excellent option at backup

Disagree. I think the backup should be the same type of QB as the starter is. VY is a runner much more than a passer - and, despite a good pro day - probably not a game manager. He would do pretty well as a BU to a similar QB such as RGIII. The Saints would be better off with a BU that is more like Brees. They had that, IMO, with Daniel. IMO, Kolb would be a really good option but I don't think he'll come here (no chance to start and might want too many $$$).

too bad he couldn't do a workout between the ears, because that is where his problem lies

I would sign him just to run read option plays in practice. He would be perfect for us.

I would sign another backup QB to groom to for game day insurance.

I would be ok with it if we sign him. If we don't, then I would be ok with is as well. I trust the FO. If they feel like he can fit what we need as a back up, they will sign him. The guy is a proven winner with NFL experience.

Any team would have to be off their meds to sign this guy.

I don't care how athletic he looked in shorts.

In pains me to agree with Bonchie again. VY had the single greatest QB game in NCAA championship history. But, when he left UT, he threw the ball like a shot put and more importantly, he never could read defenses back in his UT days and he hasn't learned yet. In the pros, VY is not even up to AB standards. VY could never run our complex offense. And imagine him with Bourbon St. and Harah's around the corner.

I'm happy for Vince - because he's taking classes at UT and on track to get his degree. That would signal some long overdue maturation on his part. Right now, I'd take Colt as the backup long over Vince.

The real take-away from Texas' pro day yesterday were the off-the-radar, underused-in-college speedsters Marquise Goodwin and especially D.J. Monroe, who has a Reggie Bush skillset.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom