N/S (well kind of) What Happened to Kenny Wilkerson? (1 Viewer)

Third post on this thread, Doug B wrote: "Brees also suffered an oblique injury in the 2014 preseason, played through it, and re-aggravated the injury during the regular season. Brees did not confirm it publicly until August 2015 (link below).

IIRC, wasn't this the injury news that got Kenny Wilkerson in hot water with the team? Wilkerson talked about the oblique injury on the air, and the team was trying to keep it under wraps?"

Who was the guy that came on right after Buddy D? He had a show that ran from 7 to 9.
Whenever someone called in from New Orleans East, he always said "home of not one good restaurant"
Kaare Johnson.
He is the son of Phil Johnson (he did the editorial segment on WWL for decades in the 60s, 70s and 80s)

Third post on this thread, Doug B wrote: "Brees also suffered an oblique injury in the 2014 preseason, played through it, and re-aggravated the injury during the regular season. Brees did not confirm it publicly until August 2015 (link below).

IIRC, wasn't this the injury news that got Kenny Wilkerson in hot water with the team? Wilkerson talked about the oblique injury on the air, and the team was trying to keep it under wraps?"
Well seeing as Wilkerson passed in 2013, I would hope it wasn't Kenny who reported it. 👀

Was he Stonewall?

Wow, the memories !!!! For me, he is the reason that the offseasons are sooooo much more interesting than the actual seasons. I remember all of the stories that were leaking from the locker room. I liked how Stonewall used to take up for Kenny and no one knew that it was the same person. In the later days in SR, he was posting so much information, it was only a matter of time before he was revealed.

Good days and R.I.P. Kenny “Stonewall”

Kenny's posting on here was a fun time. Fans hated him and then he registered and was posting some good inside stories and we suddenly loved him haha. Sucks his posts are no longer visible.

I remember I didn't like him at first because he was always critical of the team and reporting negative (but true) news about the team. I was so young, and being young-I was a blind optimist of the team, even though we clearly weren't good, Haslett clearly was in over his head, Brooks clearly wasn't a leader, etc.

Didn't Kenny get the Brooks-Charles Grant fight first?

Edit: Here's a pretty good article on Kenny from Ralph Malbrough who now does work with WWLTV

Buddy D might be a legend in New Orleans, but I will say he was one of the reasons the Saints got set so far back, especially in his later years. Being friends with Benson its hard to not believe Benson for a few brief years was taking bad advice from Buddy and drinking the WWL kool aid which led to bad drafting and hiring of wrong coaches (like Ditka) and the trading for Steve Walsh because WWL was drooling over the Miami/LSU game a couple years prior.

Seems no coincidence that the Saints did a complete 180 after his death.

Very few writers and reporters have the guts to tell the whole truth. For the sake of their longevity and self preservation, they don’t tell all. Sometimes they will often skirt around a controversial topic while dropping cryptic comments.

Kenny wasn’t one for cryptic messages.

If I remember right, Kenny had openly discussed a number of matters that really P'Oed off Sean. Back then Sean had no problem lighting up a reporter (privately) who didn’t play by the unwritten rules. He basically told Kenny to stop and Kenny told him he would continue reporting on whatever he felt was appropriate. Then Sean fired someone, or a few people, in the organization who were probably the leak(s). Sean was really angry at this point. Then one day Kenny was gone from WWL. I think the Saints/Sean leveraged the Saints’ deal with WWL which resulted in changes being made.

Kenny’s illness wreaked havoc on him and his body. Like his mother said in the article, he was very private about it. He really didn’t want anyone to see him that way.

Love him or hate him, he’s a heck of a story. Without the professional or educational credentials to land such a gig, he did, and he was good at it, and did things his way.

I’m happy that I knew him. I didn’t get to see him often, but we usually saw each other a few times a year at holiday gatherings. He opened my eyes to the reality of the Saints (and sports) versus what I thought I knew. That was a blessing and curse, because you never see it the same once the curtain is pulled back.

Its hard to believe he’s been gone since 2013, it seems like just yesterday. It was a solemn and sad day. Rest In Peace, Kenneth.

Very few writers and reporters have the guts to tell the whole truth. For the sake of their longevity and self preservation, they don’t tell all. Sometimes they will often skirt around a controversial topic while dropping cryptic comments.

Kenny wasn’t one for cryptic messages.

If I remember right, Kenny had openly discussed a number of matters that really P'Oed off Sean. Back then Sean had no problem lighting up a reporter (privately) who didn’t play by the unwritten rules. He basically told Kenny to stop and Kenny told him he would continue reporting on whatever he felt was appropriate. Then Sean fired someone, or a few people, in the organization who were probably the leak(s). Sean was really angry at this point. Then one day Kenny was gone from WWL. I think the Saints/Sean leveraged the Saints’ deal with WWL which resulted in changes being made.

Kenny’s illness wreaked havoc on him and his body. Like his mother said in the article, he was very private about it. He really didn’t want anyone to see him that way.

Love him or hate him, he’s a heck of a story. Without the professional or educational credentials to land such a gig, he did, and he was good at it, and did things his way.

I’m happy that I knew him. I didn’t get to see him often, but we usually saw each other a few times a year at holiday gatherings. He opened my eyes to the reality of the Saints (and sports) versus what I thought I knew. That was a blessing and curse, because you never see it the same once the curtain is pulled back.

Its hard to believe he’s been gone since 2013, it seems like just yesterday. It was a solemn and sad day. Rest In Peace, Kenneth.
Great post. To know what he told you would be amazing.

Kaare Johnson.
He is the son of Phil Johnson (he did the editorial segment on WWL for decades in the 60s, 70s and 80s)
I've been away from the New Orleans area for so long that I didn't know Kaare is Bill's son.

Bill was awesome - loved his editorial segments, even as a kid.

Thanks for the post.

Tragic story. I remember he had a show on 990 am in ‘09 during Super Bowl run. He routinely got on the air slurring his words badly— obviously under the influence of something. On each show the weeks before the Saints’ playoff games, he wud pick the Saints to lose and use that as a segue to talk smack about SP and the organization. It was tough to listen to. It was like a guy that was dumped by his girlfriend and 5 yrs later, he still hadn’t moved on and was still talking about how she messed him over.

On a personal note, we had a mutual acquaintance and about 10 yrs ago, I saw him at a funeral. He chainsmoked the entire time. During the burial, he sat in his car with the windows down and smoked cigarette after cigarette.

I know nothing about the circumstances of his dismissal from 870 am, but his firing ruined him. He did leak stories about injuries, players fighting, etc. He never understood that he didn’t have his own pirate ship and that it his employer, 870 am, not him, that gave him the platform to cover the team. Thus, leaking stories about injuries, players fighting, etc was inappropriate given his position @ 870 am. Whether it merited an outright firing, I don’t know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom