N/S (well kind of) What Happened to Kenny Wilkerson? (1 Viewer)

Kaare Johnson, son of WWL TV editorial commentator, Phil Johnson. Kaare Johnson was always able to find a gig due to his last name. But he was young and the most condescending smarta$$ there was on the radio. He was constantly cutting callers off that knew more than him about specific things. When it would become evident a caller had the knowledge and the upperhand, Kaare would then make a snide condescending remark, cut the caller off and then continue for a few minutes on his on, making fun of the caller. He was straight up TRASH! No where to be found today, on the radio. Thank goodness.
I think you're wrong. I think he's on AM1280.

I think you're wrong. I think he's on AM1280.
Really? I would not ever had known. I don’t listen to any local radio anymore, outiside of WWL when there is a breaking news story. Too bad for 1280. LOL

He also addresses this point in the interview I linked above. Seems like Buddy taught him to report everything, no matter what. But once Buddy passed, WWL 870 am took on a different approach to how they wanted their staffers to report on the Saints and it did not align at all with Kenny's philosphies.

I can believe it because one day I called the show after Buddy passed (this was either around March or April). They posed the question of "What changes would you like the Saints to make", and then they also mentioned that Jim Haslett would join the show at some point. So I called in, gave them my name and told them the subject that I wanted to talk about which was the defense.

This was after the 2004 season, when the Saints originally went 4-8 and went on a 4 game winning streak to have a shot at the Playoffs. We could have went, but the Rams beat the Jets in OT and knocked out our chances. So defense was a major concern, and everyone knew that Haslett was loyal to Venturi which was our downfall.

I waited on hold for more than an hour and during that span they came on the phone and asked me about 3 different times what I wanted to talk about. Come to find out, they were pushing me down in the queue and letting other callers on. I eventually got tired of waiting and hung up. They interviewed Haslett and didn't ask him much of anything Saints related, and was kissing his arse the whole time.

After Haslett's interview, one guy called in and asked them since Buddy D is gone, who's going to step up ask some real questions instead of the "cream puff" questions. The hosts didn't like that and automatically knew that everyone wanted them to ask about Venturi and why he was still coaching. They went on to say how Venturi had such a "big stick" around the NFL and how respected he was, etc.

I always wonder how would Payton and Buddy D have got along. Sad we never got to witness that.
That’s a good Q. And on that note, I wonder who in the media Sean likes the most, local media. Or should I say, who does he hate the least?

That’s a good Q. And on that note, I wonder who in the media Sean likes the most, local media. Or should I say, who does he hate the least?
My GUESS would be Jeff Duncan because even though fans are still mad about Duncan's Bountygate reporting, Payton seems to be over it AND Duncan just released a book basically hailing Payton as the GOAT playcaller which I'm sure was an ego boost for Payton.

My GUESS would be Jeff Duncan because even though fans are still mad about Duncan's Bountygate reporting, Payton seems to be over it AND Duncan just released a book basically hailing Payton as the GOAT playcaller which I'm sure was an ego boost for Payton.
🤔
I didn’t know that. I’ll have to check that book out. Ty.

🤔
I didn’t know that. I’ll have to check that book out. Ty.

Great post. To know what he told you would be amazing.
It's a lot of what has been leaked since then. I think the CSC interview part 1 sums up the parts I remember most. It's been so long now...I only really remember the most important parts, which he openly discussed in the CSC interview. I think he discussed it fairly too. Sure, he was bitter, but he realized that Sean had a job to do and it cut against the grain of the job Kenny was taught to do, and felt responsible for doing.

Someone said Kenny came across as angry and that he was altered on the radio show he started a few years after leaving WWL. Well...a person who lost their career (at the level he was)....and a person who was dealing with the personal and physical challenges he had to face....should maybe get a pass....at least in hindsight. I won't say a lot more, but Kenny lost everything and had the worst of health matters to manage. Theres an old saying...."what doesn't kill me makes me stronger". He never really had that chance to get stronger.

Last edited:
I can believe it because one day I called the show after Buddy passed (this was either around March or April). They posed the question of "What changes would you like the Saints to make", and then they also mentioned that Jim Haslett would join the show at some point. So I called in, gave them my name and told them the subject that I wanted to talk about which was the defense.

This was after the 2004 season, when the Saints originally went 4-8 and went on a 4 game winning streak to have a shot at the Playoffs. We could have went, but the Rams beat the Jets in OT and knocked out our chances. So defense was a major concern, and everyone knew that Haslett was loyal to Venturi which was our downfall.

I waited on hold for more than an hour and during that span they came on the phone and asked me about 3 different times what I wanted to talk about. Come to find out, they were pushing me down in the queue and letting other callers on. I eventually got tired of waiting and hung up. They interviewed Haslett and didn't ask him much of anything Saints related, and was kissing his arse the whole time.

After Haslett's interview, one guy called in and asked them since Buddy D is gone, who's going to step up ask some real questions instead of the "cream puff" questions. The hosts didn't like that and automatically knew that everyone wanted them to ask about Venturi and why he was still coaching. They went on to say how Venturi had such a "big stick" around the NFL and how respected he was, etc.
Ugh! I remember that game. I believe it was a missed field goal.

Ugh! I remember that game. I believe it was a missed field goal.
Yep, good ol Doug Brian did it to us.

The Playmakers TV show (which lasted only one season) had that very same scenario play out on their final episode.
The funny thing is that the episode aired a year earlier than when it happened to us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom