n/s What current qb is a lock for the HOF (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Besides Drew and Tom, are any other qb's out there a lock for the HOF? Rodgers probably is I guess, but then what about guys like Big Ben and Eli, who have won just as much? Phillip Rivers has had a great career with some near Archie Manning type incompetency surrounding him.

I bring this up because listening to the radio today, people are already comparing Dak to some of the best players in the game today, but he is still too far off from being compared to anyone other than Russell Wilson (due to the brevity of Dak's career).

What say you?

Rodgers & Big Ben are players that I would consider locks. Maybe not 1st ballot but they will absolutely be in there. Eli Manning is one who I'm not so sure about. His post-season performances made up some of the greatest plays in NFL history. He has multiple superbowl rings. The issue with him is that his regular season play is consistently just above average. I think based off of name and SB wins alone, Eli makes it in there. I think Cam Newton will go in the HoF because of his rushing ability. He may go down as (statistically) the best rushing QB of all time whenever it's all said and done.

I can not think of any other QBs who are worth discussing right now for the HoF. If Ryan finds a way to put together a SB run one or two times, Maybe we start talking about him.

I think (depending on health)

Eli
Rodgers
Rivers
Rothlisberger
Ryan
Dalton

(crystal ball)

Mariota
Siemian

I see an interesting future HOF debate brewing between Rivers and Eli.

Rivers has the raw numbers for consideration, by is VERY light on accomplishments. He is the leader of a team known for either blown potential (the year they had the number 1 offense AND defense and still missed the playoffs...yikes!) or epic meltdowns.

On the other hand, Eli is light on HOF stats (compared to his era's peers), but was the QB on two of the most remarkable Super Bowl runs in NFL history. 2 rings, won in the fashion he won them alone might be enough for the Hall.

Will be interesting to see how it works out in the next 10-15 years.

Andy Dalton??

Really?

I mean, he's OK, but HOF?

He's MAYBE top 10 in stats at any given time.......and he's never even won a playoff game.

On the other hand, Eli is light on HOF stats (compared to his era's peers), but was the QB on two of the most remarkable Super Bowl runs in NFL history. 2 rings, won in the fashion he won them alone might be enough for the Hall.

Will be interesting to see how it works out in the next 10-15 years.

Au contraire, mon ami. Right now Eli's spot on various career records:

Passing TDs: 7th
Passing yards: 9th
Passes completed: 8th

He's ahead of both Rivers and Rothlisberger, who each started the same year. He has two SB wins where he was a major contributor (Ben, not so much the first time, Mr. 10-23 + major ref help). And he's done it all playing in one of the windiest stadiums in the league. And in maybe THE toughest media market for a quarterback.

After than Tom and Drew, Eli has to be next. The rest of those guys don't have as much up on the wall (although Rothlisberger is probabaly a lock at this point as well), and if Rodgers doesn't get his act together, ultimately he may fall short as well.

Au contraire, mon ami. Right now Eli's spot on various career records:

Passing TDs: 7th
Passing yards: 9th
Passes completed: 8th

He's ahead of both Rivers and Rothlisberger, who each started the same year. He has two SB wins where he was a major contributor (Ben, not so much the first time, Mr. 10-23 + major ref help). And he's done it all playing in one of the windiest stadiums in the league. And in maybe THE toughest media market for a quarterback.

After than Tom and Drew, Eli has to be next. The rest of those guys don't have as much up on the wall (although Rothlisberger is probabaly a lock at this point as well), and if Rodgers doesn't get his act together, ultimately he may fall short as well.

And thus ends the 60 minutes I thought Eli v Rivers would be an interesting HOF debate.

We had good times during that hour didn't we? Gleefully being so blatantly incorrect on one of the fundamentals of the theory... we'll always have that one part of the morning on November 15th, 2016.

I think (depending on health)

Eli
Rodgers
Rivers
Rothlisberger
Ryan
Dalton

(crystal ball)

Mariota
Siemian

It's the Hall of Fame, not the quarterback club at Buffalo Wild Wings.

I think Eli is in - he has two rings and two Superbowl MVPs to go with a fairly significant production. Ben has two rings but no MVPs. But he'll probably be in given his lengthy leadership of a perennial contender and storied franchise.

Rodgers seems on track to get in but if he quit football tomorrow, I'm not sure. He won a ring and a SB MVP, so he's probably in. But he will certainly continue to pad that resume' so he's probably pretty safe.

Rivers and Ryan definitely don't have the resumes at this point and there's not a lot of reason to think that they will get them. They first have to win a Super Bowl and probably at least a SB MVP. They just don't have the season stat titles to support HOF without a ring (e.g. Marino).

The rest aren't even worth discussing at this point.

I think those two are the only ones that belong, but

Stafford has had a 5000 yard year
Rogers everyone thinks belongs, no numbers though
eli is in NY and has two rings but is just avg

Tony Romo

But he'll fumble his ticket to Canton and miss it.

It would be pretty funny if he actually did get elected. Then on enshrinement night, as he goes to reveal the bust, he accidentally knocks it off the pedastol. Lol

Nobody is a lock for the Hall of Fame...it just doesnt work that way.

About the closest are...
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Joe Thomas
JJ Watt
Darrelle Revis
Jason Witten
Bill Belichick
...that is more than 5 which assures you there is a log jam.

Next tier I would say is...
Adrian Peterson
Larry Fitzgerald
Von Miller
Luke Kuechly
Terrell Suggs
DeMarcus Ware
Antonio Gates

The problem is they only take a maximum of 5 a year regardless of position and that includes coaches (not counting seniors) and there is already a back log so it is actually closer to 3 or 4.

A few strong candidates also recently retired including Charles Woodson.

Consider the following who are all still waiting and you can see how tough the road is....
Kurt Warner
Edgerrin James
Roger Craig
Terrell Davis
Eddie George
Isaac Bruce
Henry Ellard
Torry Holt
Terrell Owens
Jimmy Smith
Rod Smith
Hines Ward
Mark Bavaro
Tony Boselli
Alan Faneca
Joe Jacoby
Mike Kenn
Jim Lachey
Kevin Mawae
Nate Newton
Simeon Rice
Jason Taylor
Willie McGinest
Karl Mecklenburg
Sam Mills
Steve Atwater
Joey Browner
Brian Dawkins
Rodney Harrison
John Lynch
Everson Walls
Darren Woodson
Morten Andersen
Gary Anderson
Sean Landeta
Steve Tasker
Don Coryell
Bill Cowher
Tom Flores
Jimmy Johnson
Dick Vermeil

All those candidates are vying for the same 5 spots this year and those that dont make it will stay in the ever growing pool.

Who is more deserving Eli or Sam Mills?
Who is more deserving Big Ben or Steve Atwater?
Who is more deserving Philip Rivers or Isaac Bruce?
Who is more deserving Rodgers or Marshawn Lynch?

Those are just as valid questions, questions the HoF selection committee must address.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom