N/S What the media isn't talking about from last night. (1 Viewer)

Newton not getting calls

There is several " analyst" saying Newton not getting roughing passer calls or other calls that Brees or Rogers would get.

Really ??

Making excuses for his showmanship for his wins and his sour puss look he gets when he loses.

Saying all kids want to be him. Can't figure why people commenting on his flossing on the sidelines.

The Panthers D gave up 21 on the road against the defending Super Bowl champions who have clearly improved their O-line and have a stud RB. They forced at least 2 turnovers, and didn't look bad in the least. Yes they're starting 2 rookies at CB and Anderson had some god runs against them. I in no way thought the game could have been a blowout in Denver's favor. If anything,, it looked like Carolina could run away with it after halftime. Their D looked solid, but gave up big plays on the ground. Best news is that they'r already 0-1 an we haven' lost yet

Their secondary is vulnerable. But their front 7 looked as good as ever.

This is just not true.

How could you say that?

Their D last year was amazing, but the front 7 were GASHED by 5+ yard running plays ALL NIGHT.

Denver converted over and over on 3rd down.

They ran at ease.

Shoot, even a ROOKIE FULLBACK scored on a 25 yard run.

As good as ever? Not even remotely close to as good as last season.

This is just not true.

How could you say that?

Their D last year was amazing, but the front 7 were GASHED by 5+ yard running plays ALL NIGHT.

They ran at ease.

Kuechly and Davis are great. Kawaan Short was getting penetration. Not all 7 players are good. But I'm not kidding myself that they will be easy. They're nothing we can't handle. But they looked solid to me.

This is just not true.

How could you say that?

They ran at ease.

You have to give some credit to Kubiak's o-line.

Take away that run by Denver's FB and that screen pass by CJ Anderson (both for TDs),then the Panthers D was great. It's very rare to catch the Panthers D out of position or having a breakdown in defense, but they were caught on both of those plays. I don't expect to see too many of those errors by those boys this year.

Take away that run by Denver's FB and that screen pass by CJ Anderson (both for TDs),then the Panthers D was great. It's very rare to catch the Panthers D out of position or having a breakdown in defense, but they were caught on both of those plays. I don't expect to see too many of those errors by those boys this year.

Disagree. Even if you take away those plays- in this case you should also take away the fluke turnovers they had - that young Broncos QB was exploiting their secondary, they didn't have consistent pressure on him and CJ destroyed them in the running game.

Maybe Denver o line is just amazing, but we can't really tell this right now.

And I'm not saying this because it was the panthers. To prove that I will say I was really impressed by their offense. Their o line is amazing and with Benjamin back they are much improved compared to last year. They scored only 20 points but they were great against a very good broncos D.

So, the panthers are still the team to beat in the NFC, that's a fact, but their D is not looking dominant right now.

It pains me to say it but the way the Panthers came out last night, they're not only putting the South on notice but the rest of the NFC. Their front 7 and especially Luke, was ballin' out. Kelvin is going to be hard to cover, Greg Olsen is playing like he's still 25, Cam will still be the same old Scam - a handful for any defense to deal with.

Yes their defense was gashed by CJ Anderson, but don't forget towards the end of last season he was playing like a Top 5 running back, and it's a testament to Kubiak's zone blocking scheme, when it works, it WORKS.....

Panthers defense started out strong and faded towards the end of the game, but they still look the part....I would not want to see Brees behind our O-line against their front....

Hard to say from one game, Denver OL looked good, hard to judge Carolina's defense, I thought they got great push against a good OL

I agree with these comments...I'll take it a step further, I think Carolina is the team to beat in the NFC. I don't know what game the OP saw, Carolina's defense is VERY good. I'm not looking forward to playing the Panthers twice this year--I think we lack the physicality and the talent to keep up with them this season. (I could be very wrong--we almost beat Carolina with our backup QB last year.) But seeing Kelvin Benjamin healthy is slightly intimidating. Their only weakness is the secondary and even that ain't bad. It would have pained me to say anything positive about the Panthers last season but after two straight 7-9 seasons and with another disappointing season on the horizon, I have been humbled.

Am I mistaken or was Luke out of the game when we "almost beat Carolina with our backup QB? I've seen so many references to that game but never a mention of their best player being out. But I might have that wrong.

This is true.

What the OP also does not seem to be accounting for is how good the running game for Denver was. Very physical and also solid in pass protection.

When you can run and protect that well you can win with a rookie or an average QB. This is why some of us harp on the quality of talent and the physicality at the line of scrimmage. If you sweat those details you can play with anyone. It's more important that anything if you want to sustain a solid foundation for your team.

Behind that kind of running game and solid protection, Brees would still destroy any defense.

that game wouldnt have been close.

That Oline combined with the Zone Blocking scheme is what does it. And there were PLENTY of times where as GOOD as those lineman were, STILL couldnt stop Luke.

every tackle he made, he looked to rip the head off the opponent. Just pure violence. One in particular,running wide, Anderson tried to stiff arm Luke, and Luke literally "pulled" him in to beat the stiff arm, THEN tackled him. I was like WHOA. not many can do that.

We dont have Denver Oline- and not many do. which is why i said lets wait til game 4-5 to remove the "shine" off Carolina D.

They are still very good.

But they showed vulnerabilities this year that didn't exist last year.

Namely in the secondary, edge plays (screens and flat passes), and defending off tackle runs. They are still very good in the middle of their DL and in their LB core.

I agree with these comments...I'll take it a step further, I think Carolina is the team to beat in the NFC. I don't know what game the OP saw, Carolina's defense is VERY good. I'm not looking forward to playing the Panthers twice this year--I think we lack the physicality and the talent to keep up with them this season. (I could be very wrong--we almost beat Carolina with our backup QB last year.) But seeing Kelvin Benjamin healthy is slightly intimidating. Their only weakness is the secondary and even that ain't bad. It would have pained me to say anything positive about the Panthers last season but after two straight 7-9 seasons and with another disappointing season on the horizon, I have been humbled.

Yeah, I saw Carolina give yield some passing yards and get gashed on a couple of misdirection runs, but overall their defense looked just as nasty, swarming and opportunistic as they've always been.

They won't be facing defenses like the Broncos all year, so when they force turnovers....and they will, like last year, they're going to put points up and build lead their defense can hold.

This is a 12 win Panthers team in my opinion. They'll feast on the softer part of the schedule and tough out a few games against top opponents (like they almost did last night).

If we want to compete in the South, we have to come out of the gate hot and get distance every opportunity.

This is just not true.

How could you say that?

They ran at ease.

Let's play a few more games before we jump to these types of conclusions. The front seven got good pressure most of the game.
Kuechley and Davis were around the ball all night from what I saw. I hate Carolina more than the Falcons,but I'm not going to say
they are a shell of last years defense after game 1.

What the media is not talking about: Cam as a QB last night completed 54.5% of his passes (18 of 33) for 194 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT 69.5 rating - with a 5.9 yard average.

Cam's two-yard touchdown scamper marked the 44th career rushing touchdown for the defending MVP, the most of any quarterback in NFL history since the NFL-AFL merger. That run also gave Newton the most games with both a passing and rushing touchdown. Do you remember how many concussions Steve Young suffered?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom