N/S What the media isn't talking about from last night. (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Carolina defense. They were terrible. If not for 2 bad throws by a guy who never threw an NFL pass and a fumble all inside the Panther 30 yard line, this game would have been a blow out by the Broncos and what amounts to a rookie QB. It could have easily been 42-20.
I know it was the first game but their secondary is not the same without Norman, they couldn't get pressure with 4 and Davis looked old last night. I think the South will be very competitive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Carolina defense. They were terrible. If not for 2 bad throws by a guy who never threw an NFL pass and a fumble all inside the Panther 30 yard line, this game would have been a blow out by the Broncos and what amounts to a rookie QB. It could have easily been 42-20.
I know it was the first game but their secondary is not the same without Norman, they couldn't get pressure with 4 and Davis looked old last night. I think the South will be very competitive!

Ok

im not sure what game you saw, but Luke was Luke...violent tackler, cant block him...his usual self. Davis always looks old, yet is always step for step with either TE or RB. They still hit, they still stunt and got good pressure. That front 4 was balling. The first Int was a great play by the DE to get up in the air to deflect.

I will agree the secondary is not as stout, but that is going to hinge on the play of the front 7.

The most surprising aspect is the play of Simien. I think that D was a bit over-confident facing a rookie QB. ( we did same vs Redskins w/ RGIII ) and by the time they tried to flip it on, momentum had shifted and it was just too hard to regain.

Its the first game out the gate. Teams will be a bit off, and it will come down to confidence in their play. If they lose 2 out the next 3, then you will see them start to not believe and play fall off some.

Its why its so important to start 3-1, 4-0 for teams and "build" as the season progresses.

I dont think they were as dominant in game 1 of 2016 as they were in game 15 of 2015, but thats not terribly hard to figure out why.

I am not discounting them by any means...they are still the team to beat in NFC south and have always given us fits last 2 years.

least D'Angelo and Steve gone for GOOD. lol

Ok

im not sure what game you saw, but Luke was Luke...violent tackler, cant block him...his usual self. Davis always looks old, yet is always step for step with either TE or RB. They still hit, they still stunt and got good pressure. That front 4 was balling. The first Int was a great play by the DE to get up in the air to deflect.

I will agree the secondary is not as stout, but that is going to hinge on the play of the front 7.

The most surprising aspect is the play of Simien. I think that D was a bit over-confident facing a rookie QB. ( we did same vs Redskins w/ RGIII ) and by the time they tried to flip it on, momentum had shifted and it was just too hard to regain.

Its the first game out the gate. Teams will be a bit off, and it will come down to confidence in their play. If they lose 2 out the next 3, then you will see them start to not believe and play fall off some.

Its why its so important to start 3-1, 4-0 for teams and "build" as the season progresses.

I dont think they were as dominant in game 1 of 2016 as they were in game 15 of 2015, but thats not terribly hard to figure out why.

I am not discounting them by any means...they are still the team to beat in NFC south and have always given us fits last 2 years.

Very well said, sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok

I agree with these comments...I'll take it a step further, I think Carolina is the team to beat in the NFC. I don't know what game the OP saw, Carolina's defense is VERY good. I'm not looking forward to playing the Panthers twice this year--I think we lack the physicality and the talent to keep up with them this season. (I could be very wrong--we almost beat Carolina with our backup QB last year.) But seeing Kelvin Benjamin healthy is slightly intimidating. Their only weakness is the secondary and even that ain't bad. It would have pained me to say anything positive about the Panthers last season but after two straight 7-9 seasons and with another disappointing season on the horizon, I have been humbled.

I'm no expert, but I thought both defenses played very well for most of the game. For the Panthers, Luke Keuchly and Thomas Davis are BAD men. Those guys can play!

Ok

The Broncos ran all over that front 7. They gashed them everywhere. Gave up 160 rushing. And as you said the secondary hinges on the front 7 and they looked bad last night because the front 7 struggled to get up the field. Will they get it together and dominate, maybe but they gave up way to many big run plays and first downs to a QB with a very weak arm. We must have seen it differently.

Their rushing defense is what I took from this game. Last year they were ranked 4th against the run allowing only 88 yards per game. Against a team with a rookie Qb, who the defense would key against the run, they allowed about 60% more yards at 148 and an average of 5.1 per.

Oh, and keep running the ball Cam. I like seeing you get buried into the turf.

I don't know what game some of you watched but Denver was moving the ball at will both by the air and by the ground. If it was not by three rookie mistakes (I know broncos qb is on his second year but he is basically a rookie) they would have scored a lot more.

Carolina's pass rush was not good. They were only getting pressure by blitzing. They were destroyed in the run game.

It seems like people are too afraid of the name "Carolinas defense" so they don't want to say they did not play well. I don't know if they will play well next week or week 15. I just can say they did not play well yesterday.

I'm going to reserve my judgment until they play a good vet QB. We have absolutely no measuring stick for Siemian. I had to Google how to spell his name twice while making this post. Assuming their front seven is still beastly but the secondary is weak, a good QB and OC should crack them. But things don't always go how they should.

So did we see the Panthers secondary against a good QB and OC? Who knows. Not enough data to go on, yet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Their rushing defense is what I took from this game. Last year they were ranked 4th against the run allowing only 88 yards per game. Against a team with a rookie Qb, who the defense would key against the run, they allowed about 60% more yards at 148 and an average of 5.1 per.

Oh, and keep running the ball Cam. I like seeing you get buried into the turf.

you do know the "staple" of a Kubiak running attack....zone blocking.

Not many teams employ, but the ones that perfect it, run very well.

Im not ready to say the Carolina D is mid pack just yet. Color me skeptical being game 1. We all will know more come week 4-5.

But to say that they are a shell of 2015, way to early to make that call.

The Broncos ran all over that front 7. They gashed them everywhere. Gave up 160 rushing. And as you said the secondary hinges on the front 7 and they looked bad last night because the front 7 struggled to get up the field. Will they get it together and dominate, maybe but they gave up way to many big run plays and first downs to a QB with a very weak arm. We must have seen it differently.

Both teams rushed the ball well. At one point in the game the Panthers had 146 rushing yards to the Broncos 147.

Ok

This is true.

What the OP also does not seem to be accounting for is how good the running game for Denver was. Very physical and also solid in pass protection.

When you can run and protect that well you can win with a rookie or an average QB. This is why some of us harp on the quality of talent and the physicality at the line of scrimmage. If you sweat those details you can play with anyone. It's more important that anything if you want to sustain a solid foundation for your team.

Behind that kind of running game and solid protection, Brees would still destroy any defense.

Carolina's front four gets tired and they tend to give up points in the 4th quarter. It happened several times last season. The offense was the reason that they lost. The Denver D was laying the wood on Newton!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom