N/S Whitlock: "Fat, lazy...an LSU character trait" (1 Viewer)

He's an interesting writer. Goes for the controversial, but not the ridiculous shock articles. I think he missed on his point about the LSU first rounders. The fat and lazy claim is a lame attempt to emphasize his point.

Landry, Bowe and Addai have proven to be good picks.
Davis is meh - always thought he was drafted too high
Clayton had that great rookie year and then disappeared.
Dorsey - so far hasn't lived up to the hype.
Jackson - too early to tell and another that was drafted too high, IMO.
Spears - bust
Russell - looked pretty decent against us in the preseason. Dreadful so far this year.

From a success standpoint, so far - about 35%ish. :idunno:

All homerism aside, I really liked the article. Dude is just talking common sense and calling it as he sees it (with a little Phili bias).

The point of my arguement in calling this article dumb is he could make this article with any major college sports prgram along with LSU.

Miami
Ed Reed, Jon Vilma, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis
Jerome Mcdougle, Ken Dorsey

USC
Carson Palmer, Troy Poalamu, Sedrick Ellis
Mike Williams, Matt Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett

Ohio State
Charles Woodson, Eddie George, Santino Holmes
Marice Clarrett, Veronon Gholston, Antonio Pittman

see the point of his no point?

Russell was not polished, nor was he ready, to be the franchise. He would have benefited much more sitting for two years and learning from a competent teacher. But his draft status demands he plays now. Sad, but aside from Sanchez as the only player to ever do so, no Jr. QB has ever had success starting right away. EVER. Ask Gil Brandnt or anyone who studies these things. Of course Russel hurt himself being greedy, and of course Russell was overweight, and of course Russel doesn't fully do everything he can do to be better. But the Raiders are terrible. Clayton had weight / injury problems, but Josh Reed is awesome in the slot. Dorsey is playing at DE as opposed to 3 tech DT. Addai had knee issues, but never was known for durability. I do see Jackson and Russel as players with maturity quick rich no work ethic syndrome, but both practically came out of nowhere based off of one game and good workouts. The others have had some success, minus Spears.

Like Whitlock has the right to call anyone fat and lazy. whatever.

Just some proof LOL.

jason-whitlock.jpg

jason_whitlock.jpg

I think someone (Jason) is bitter he could never play for a program like LSU.

Whitlock certainly knows all about being fat and lazy...
This was all that needed to be said. I fully maintain that he is the single worst journalist ever. He makes Jayson Blair look like Hunter S. Thompson and Brian Collins look like Dan Patrick.

He's an interesting writer. Goes for the controversial, but not the ridiculous shock articles. I think he missed on his point about the LSU first rounders. The fat and lazy claim is a lame attempt to emphasize his point.

Landry, Bowe and Addai have proven to be good picks.
Davis is meh - always thought he was drafted too high
Clayton had that great rookie year and then disappeared.
Dorsey - so far hasn't lived up to the hype.
Jackson - too early to tell and another that was drafted too high, IMO.
Spears - bust
Russell - looked pretty decent against us in the preseason. Dreadful so far this year.

From a success standpoint, so far - about 35%ish. :idunno:

Corey webster second rounder - pro bowl corner
Randall Gay, Devery Henderson, Jarvis Green, Ryan Clark, Josh Reed, Robert Royal, Stephen Peterman, Jacob Hester.....

Just to name a few non first roundrs who are contributing to their teams nicely.

Corey webster second rounder - pro bowl corner
Randall Gay, Devery Henderson, Jarvis Green, Ryan Clark, Josh Reed, Robert Royal, Stephen Peterman, Jacob Hester.....

Just to name a few non first roundrs who are contributing to their teams nicely.

Was just going off his first round claim. I don't find LSU to be an abnormality about first round draftees success or lack thereof. And the jury is still out on Davis, Dorsey, Jackson and even Russell.

He is a bust. Parcells labeled him a bust in the 3-4 first and was actually benching him quite a bit. Spears claimed he was going to get a resurgence with Wade Phillips because Wade Phillips would allow more gap penetration for his 3-4 ends then Parcells did.....and he's still a bust.
Dallas doesn't think he's a bust.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=679D8F8A-047B-2497-BE9CF93732300380

2008 Impact: Like fellow starter Chris Canty, Spears' impact can't be judged solely on stats. Spears has only 5 ½ sacks in four seasons, including one sack in '08, but ends in a 3-4 scheme are mostly run-stuffers and lane-cloggers for the pass-rushing outside linebackers. Spears' 65 tackles, 16 quarterback pressures and five tackles for loss, however, indicate he was more active than ever.
Where He Fits: Even if Canty is re-signed, the Cowboys could stand to find another versatile defensive lineman, perhaps one capable of playing end and nose tackle, since free-agent nose tackle Tank Johnson doesn't seem inclined to return. Third-year end Jason Hatcher received more playing time in '08, but right now Spears appears to have a solid grip on the left end spot entering his fifth season.
Writers' Analysis:
Rob Phillips: Spears hasn't been as consistently productive as many expected when the Cowboys drafted him 20th overall in 2005, but he might have been one of the defense's most underrated players this past season. One reason his sack totals suffer is he doesn't play on third down. A big season in 2009 will boost his free-agent stock this time next year. Mickey Spagnola: For those who bothered to pay attention in 2008, Marcus Spears had his best season and was a highly productive member of the defensive line. Don't measure his production by sacks. These defensive ends in this 3-4 defense never will be about sacks. They are all about stopping the run, freeing up the linebackers by occupying the offensive linemen so those guys can flow to the ball. With Chris Canty slated for free agency, and a possible departure, who knows, the Cowboys need Spears more than ever for the 2009 season. Plus, remember this, for a guy who didn't play on the nickel defense, meaning being able to rush the quarterback in definite passing situations, he finished fourth on the team with 16 QB hurries behind only Jay Ratliff, DeMarcus Ware and two behind Canty.

The article was about taking LSU players in the first round, not second or later. I'm a huge LSU fan but can't argue the facts. Looking at players in the Saban/Mile era, only 2 and a half have panned out the way you expect a first rounder to.

Landry, Bowe and Addai. I give Addai the half because he has performed well when not hurt, but is hurt often.

Davis, Clayton, Spears and Russell have clearly not lived up to expectations to this point. It's possible that's partly a reflection of the teams some are on, or in Davis' case that he was drafted too high.

Dorsey and Jackson are probably on the bubble. Way to early to label Jackson anything at this point. Dorsey is interesting because he played on a horrible team than proceeded to change schemes making him a wasted pick. Time will tell, but it's not looking good so far.

Put Addai in the non bust pool and ignore Dorsey and Jackson, then 57% of the players haven't lived up to expectations of a first round pick. Add in Dorsey and Jackson, and you're now talking about 66% not living up to the hype.

I do find it interesting that 3 of those players were probably stretch picks based on league chatter: Addai and Davis in the first round period, and Jackson going so high. Russell had a Boom/Bust factor going in, but many other teams would have taken him at number 1.

Who cares what LSU players do after they leave college? As long as they win at LSU and unless any of them play for the Saints in the NFL then it really should not matter.

Help me out LSU fans - didn't Atlanta draft a highly touted D-lineman from LSU that didn't pan out?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom