N/S Whitlock: "Fat, lazy...an LSU character trait" (1 Viewer)

Marcus Spears has started every year for the Cowboys and he labeled him a bust.:scratch:

I haven't followed his career to closely, but when I see the Cowboys play, I almost never hear his name called.

Isn't he a DE in a 3-4? When do you ever hear their names called?

He is a bust. Parcells labeled him a bust in the 3-4 first and was actually benching him quite a bit. Spears claimed he was going to get a resurgence with Wade Phillips because Wade Phillips would allow more gap penetration for his 3-4 ends then Parcells did.....and he's still a bust.

That fat ******* always writes negatively about Louisiana. He wrote something to the effect that Bush was going to wallow in obscurity when we drafted him and the team was going to move to San Antonio in a few years. He also pounced on the Hornets during the OKC debacle. He's just an overexposed hack.

No champoinship Saints shirts allowed to Whitlock...GEAUX Louisina!

To be fair...look at where Russel and Dorsey are playing. Are they busts or are the organizations they're playing for busts?

Cajun: I was being sarcastic [if you didn't know that]

Can you really call a guy a bust when he is coached by the Raiders?

I think that it's an excellent column, and Whitlock certainly knows all about being fat and lazy...

He is a bust. Parcells labeled him a bust in the 3-4 first and was actually benching him quite a bit. Spears claimed he was going to get a resurgence with Wade Phillips because Wade Phillips would allow more gap penetration for his 3-4 ends then Parcells did.....and he's still a bust.
He's still starting.

Fact is Jamarcus Russell should have never went #1 or 1st round for that matter. Only a moron like Al Davis would make the selection. All Al Davis does is draft by individual ability. Just because a guy can throw the ball 60 yards sitting down doesn't mean he can quarterback. Just because Heyward-Bey had the fastest time doesn't mean he can catch. That's why the Raiders will never improve, you have to get players that fit your system.

I agree al davis makes some suspect picks but try and remember back to that draft.... everybody was on jamarcus russell... if he wouldn't have taken him its not like he would have fell out of the top 5. the guy was just overrated and it turns out he's a bust but a lot of teams were high on him not just crazy al

All homerism aside, I really liked the article. Dude is just talking common sense and calling it as he sees it (with a little Phili bias).

Can you really call a guy a bust when he is coached by the Raiders?

In this case yes. Russell is flat out awful.

I think it's misplaced criticism though, not for reasons most outline however.

The NFL is just full of "busts". And players in the first round correspondingly get the "bust" status far earlier and often because of expectations. Taken further, players in the Top Ten get labeled busts even faster and more often.

Ergo, any team that produces a high number of high first round draft choices because of overall team success will produce a high number of "busts". I mean if we're judging by "ratio", one of the greatest schools of all time is Mississippi Valley State, with a 100% rate of return on Hall of Fame first rounders (Jerry Rice).

By comparison, I bet if you evaluated schools like USC, LSU, Ohio State, schools which produce lots of highly rated athletes because of overall success, you'll find them riddled with "busts".

USC in 2006 alone sent Leinart, Reggie Bush, Winston Justice, Lendale White, and Lutui in the first two rounds. Leinart's on the bench, Bush has, and don't debate this here, been a disappointment, Winston Justice is a bust, and Lendale White is benched. I forget if Lutui is playing but any way you slice it, USC's 2006 class? "Bust"

I would wager that's the norm.

Im not defending Whitlock, but all the people bringing up Laron Landry should look at what he's done since his rookie year.

He's been extremely mediocre, if not out right bad since then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom