N/S Why does Tom Brady get a pass for this below average season? (1 Viewer)

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are some of his rankings:

QBR: 80.5 ranked 22nd
Passing yards: 1211, ranked 17th
Yards per attempt: 6.18, ranked 31st
Touchdowns: 7, ranked 13th (tied with Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, and Geno Smith)
Yards per game: 242, ranked 18th

Now here are the defenses he has played against:

Bills: 18th ranked passing defense
Jets: 13th ranked Passing defense
Bucs: 15th
Falcons: 24th
Bengals: 11th

The reason I am bringing this up is because I was listening to Rich Eisen list his top 4 QBs. He said Manning is #1, hard to argue that right now, and Brady is #2.. He didn't even hesitate to say Brady is #2. No pause or anything. Then he said Rodgers is #3, Brees #4.

So I look at this season and I see Brady's stats and they are below average. Why the excuses for him? Isn't it his job to make the players around him better? How many Pro Bowl receivers does he need to succeed? Drew Brees has NEVER had a Pro Bowl receiver in his entire career. He has Jimmy Graham now and had Antonio Gates in San Diego, 2 Pro Bowl tight ends, but has never had a Pro Bowl wide receiver. But he still makes it work.

We have a lot of young receivers also, the only exception being Colston and Moore. Well, Moore has been injured for a while and Brees hasn't skipped a beat. So why the excuses for Brady? Heck, they took away our offensive mastermind last year, and Brees STILL led the league in passing.

I understand that Brady won three Superbowls 10 years ago, but isn't it time we start asking what has he done for them lately?

Those QB rankings are based on a body of work as they should be. If Drew has a subpar year, do you really believe he should be moved from the elite conversation? I never understand why fans get so uptight about the who is number 1-4 anyway. It's just someone's opinion

We have a lot of young receivers also, the only exception being Colston and Moore.

I get your overall point but I don't think the situations are comparable -- Brady is in a really, really bad spot. I love Drew and I especially like your point about the receivers Drew has been working with over the years -- he has made them better than they really are.

Here's the way I view it: put Drew in NE right now and he'd be struggling too. Put Brady in NO right now and he would be excelling. I think it really is as simple as that (at least IMHO).

Because he has no one of substance to throw to. One of his star tight ends is in prison facing a murder rap, the other is made of glass. They shipped off Welker. Amendola crumbles to dust if a stiff wind blows through. For most of the early part of the season, his prime target was Julian Edelman. That's not a matter of having "young receivers," it's a completely obliterated receiving corps. That's not exactly a recipe for success, no matter how good you are.

You can't point to one bad statistical year and say "This guy is overrated!" No, he isn't. He's having a bad year and that team's window of success is probably on the way to closing, especially given the losses and bad front office decisions on personnel. But Brady has proven himself to be one of the top guys in the game. I'm not remotely a Brady fan (I think he missed his calling as a male model.), but he has been an exceptional player at his position for almost the entirety of his career.

He's got the built-in excuse that he has "no weapons"... but that's their front office's fault. They chose not to re-sign Welker, they screwed Gronk's surgery, and they drafted a killer. Now they're SOL.

He's got the built-in excuse that he has "no weapons"... but that's their front office's fault. They chose not to re-sign Welker, they screwed Gronk's surgery, and they drafted a killer. Now they're SOL.

So basically what you are saying is that he NEEDS a Randy Moss, a Wes Welker, a Hernandez and Gronk duo, a Deion Branch in his prime or a Troy Brown in his prime in order to succeed. Maybe throw in a Tedi Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, and a Vince Wilfork too while you're at it. Give him a great defense again and a few more Pro Bowl receivers and he can win three more Superbowls. Heck, he might not even need to spy on his opponents this time either.

So basically what you are saying is that he NEEDS a Randy Moss, a Wes Walker, a Hernandez and Gronk duo, a Deion Branchh in his prime or a Troy Brown in his prime in order to succeed. Maybe throw in a Tedi Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, and a Vince Wilfork too while you're at it. Give him a great defense again and a few more Pro Bowl receivers and he can win three more Superbowls. Heck, he might not even need to spy on his opponents this time either.

Like Drew doesn't have any weapons, or our team wasn't loaded with talent in 09. This year Brady is pretty much throwing to rookies, has a suspect defense, but still found a way to get to 4-1. Just because his numbers aren't great this year doesn't mean he's a bad QB.

Why are you guys so sensitive to media rankings. I think Drew Brees is the best QB in the NFL. I know he is, Michael Irvin doesn't have to agree with me.

Kinda hard to ignore him.
His passes are spot on 9/10 attempts, its just that no one can catch them. I couldn't imagine brees with a buncha stone handed kids trying to catch.

Like having a Ferrari, but no tires.

Because it's Tom Brady, the same guy that got a pass on his team cheating to SB winning seasons and cheated to let him get the stats he accumulated during that time.

Below average season? He has his team at the top of their division with no help around him...

Also, his house has a moat.

It is gonna get worse for him this year. Look who they have played. Nobody. The one decent team they played (Bengals) held them to 6 points.

Gentlemen, I have seen it throughout "Tom Terrific's" entire career. The guy is a crybaby on the field. If his team is not totally stacked with all-star players, he is not that good when it counts. To say Tom Brady won those Superbowls is like saying Terry Bradshaw won those Superbowls for the Steelers. They both had great defenses. Those superbowls were not all because of Brady. If they were because of Brady, then he should win another one this season. No excuses.

Because it's Tom Brady, the same guy that got a pass on his team cheating to SB winning seasons and cheated to let him get the stats he accumulated during that time.

Wow -- there is just so much wrong with this statement it is hard to know where to begin.

How about this: imagine what you think and feel when you hear some lame Vikings fan ( or Falcons fan) say that our Lombardi is attributable to Bountygate and cheating because Farve and Warner were knocked out of the game, and then apply your reaction to your comment above.
No knowledgeable football fan would make the wild statement you make above and actually believe it to be true.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom