N/S Why doesn't Spread Offense work in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I am not an Xs and Os guy, but I am aware of a bad record when I see it, and I am aware of trends.

There is a trend in college football where more and more teams are using spread style offenses. Some of the best teams in college run it, and some of the top qb prospects thrive in it. With so much talent coming to the NFL, why isn't the spread offense able to take off in the NFL like it has in CFB? Chip Kelly had success with it for a little bit, but that has flamed out now. Many coaches who run spread offenses have been looked at for NFL jobs. So why hasn't it thrived in the NFL?

Spread doesn't work because of defensive are faster in the NFL. Speed kills the spread and the fast tempo is counterproductive for TOP.

In order I'm going to guess
Speed
Dline strength
Coaching
Smarter/more experienced players

At auburn cam was probably 2 whole categories a better athlete tha most anyone he faced on D
In the nfl he might still be elite but not by the same discrepancy

Hashmarks aren't as wide, so less room on wide side runs. And players are too fast. In the NFL, LBs are all running in the 4.5s.

Yup. Harshmarks more than any other factor.

Thank god. Hate the spread. It's ruined college football.

For a while the Saints and Patriots were the closest we got to Spread Offense. Even then, it more just no huddle, get to the line and let the future HoF QBs read the defense for 20 seconds, audible into the right play, and then snap the ball with ~10 seconds left. As previously mentioned, Chip Kelly had some success early in Philly, while he still had LeSean McCoy and Desean Jackson.

Then we also saw Washington, Seattle and Carolina (and to some extent Buffalo) working in the Read Option, usually out of a Spread formation.

I agree with what's already been pointed out. Faster, better players on Defense and the Hashmarks. Plus, College has less restrictions on Legal Formations

It keeps the quarterback looking forward at the defense so he has his eyes downfield longer. Also, college spread QBs are typically the best athletes on the field by far. When they make it to the NFL they're not, but more importantly, NFL quarterbacks are seen as decade's long investments where college kids come and go in 2 years. Most never play another down of football so they don't have to try to take 10 years of that beating in the NFL.

Cam will no longer be a running QB in 2 or 3 years or he'll die. Same as Elway before him.

A good NFL qb needs to throw the ball and make the right decision rather than have his face smeared every two plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom