N/S Worst free-agent signings since '93: Redskins, Raiders dominate list (1 Viewer)

Frank The Rat

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly and perhaps tellingly, putting together a list of the worst free-agent signings in the history of the NFL is not hard. Here's a look at the bottom 20 over the past 20 years:

1. DT Albert Haynesworth – Some people argue that Haynesworth deserves a category all to himself for his slothful waste of a seven-year, $100 million contract. Haynesworth signed the deal in 2009 and was out of Washington before the start of the 2011 season. He was out of football after that season. He didn't get all the money, but he got way more than he ever deserved, spending most of the money on boats and legal settlements.

2. QB Jeff Garcia – For five years, Garcia was one of the great feel-good stories in the NFL. He was a San Francisco Bay Area guy (grew up in Gilroy and went to San Jose State) who played in the CFL before returning for a five-year run with the 49ers. But in 2004 at age 34, Garcia signed a four-year, $25 million contract with Cleveland. Except for the money, everything else was a disaster as Garcia played poorly and didn't mesh with Browns fans. He was gone after one season.

Y! SPORTS

What would be the Saints top 5 worst free agent signings since 93'?

Albert connell. In the spring of 2001, the New Orleans Saints signed him to a five-year, $13 million contract that included a $2.5 million signing bonus. In 2001, he played 12 games for the Saints, recording 12 receptions for 191 yards and two touchdowns. His future in the NFL was cut short when he was accused of stealing from Deuce McAllister. He allegedly stole $4,000 from his former Saints teammate and was released from the team. He never played in the NFL again.

Injuries also were getting to Garcia. i thought he was a really good QB, and it's not all his fault for Cleveland. he had little to nothing to work with, they didn't even really give him a chance.

The Redskins have Dan Synder to thank for all those bust free agents on that list. I remember when he benched his QB for Jeff George, and I think the Skins only scored 3 points in 2 games with George at QB. That was hilarious to watch.

There was also that superbowl winning cornerback we picked up named jason david. Immediately we faced his old team and peyton manning gave us a taste of what was to come by tossing a few tds his way

Injuries also were getting to Garcia. i thought he was a really good QB, and it's not all his fault for Cleveland. he had little to nothing to work with, they didn't even really give him a chance.

The Redskins have Dan Synder to thank for all those bust free agents on that list. I remember when he benched his QB for Jeff George, and I think the Skins only scored 3 points in 2 games with George at QB. That was hilarious to watch.

Yeah remember Garcia salvaged the Eagles season in 2006 when McNabb got hurt so clearly he still had something left in the tank. They won the division and beat the Giants in the WC game before they lost the close one to us.

kevin kaesviharn along with jason david were not great..can't say the saints haven't done poorly in FA in the SP era.

Yeah remember Garcia salvaged the Eagles season in 2006 when McNabb got hurt so clearly he still had something left in the tank. They won the division and beat the Giants in the WC game before they lost the close one to us.

I agree, he shouldn't be on that list. Not his fault the Browns flat out sucked. He saved the Eagles that year, I remember. Cleveland didn't even give him a chance, 1 year only and not to mention just how flat out horrible they were.

I don't know why but I always liked Garcia even though the Niners used to still whoop us back then. I remember that game, we had to win at home and make the playoffs and they shut us out 35-0, Brooks threw 4 picks. I liked Brooks but Garcia was a much better QB than him. I wish we could have had him before Brees.

Brad Muster- He was supposed to help us forget Iron head.
Michael Haynes- We tried ruining the Falcons by giving him a huge contract that we thought they would match...yeah not so much. Only thing he burnt in the NFL was us...twice.
______- any lb Jim Hasslet brought in.
Jason David & Kevin Kaesverhorn- We would have been better off going on the field with 9 guys rather than put them in.

Brad Muster- He was supposed to help us forget Iron head.
Michael Haynes- We tried ruining the Falcons by giving him a huge contract that we thought they would match...yeah not so much. Only thing he burnt in the NFL was us...twice.
______- any lb Jim Hasslet brought in.
Jason David & Kevin Kaesverhorn- We would have been better off going on the field with 9 guys rather than put them in.

What is funny about this is Brad Muster sucked in Tecmo Bowl too, but Michael Haynes was a beast in TSB III.

What is funny about this is Brad Muster sucked in Tecmo Bowl too, but Michael Haynes was a beast in TSB III.

Tecmo Super Bowl...I never played with the Raiders but I played as the Lions because of Barry. I wish I had played as the Raiders because I heard that Bo Jackson was unstoppable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom