N/S: XFL TV ratings week 1 (1 Viewer)

Most of those players want to get into the NFL. If the XFL becomes a direct competitor or hinders players from getting into the NFL, it’ll fail.

I think it would be the dumbest decision ever if the NFL didn't work out a G-League style agreement with the XFL

Most of those players want to get into the NFL. If the XFL becomes a direct competitor or hinders players from getting into the NFL, it’ll fail.
I bet those players want to get into the NFL, but the purpose of the XFL isn't to prep players for the NFL; the XFL needs players of their own. And there is a reason why those players are in the XFL and not in the NFL, or even the CFL for that matter.

I bet those players want to get into the NFL, but the purpose of the XFL isn't to prep players for the NFL; the XFL needs players of their own. And there is a reason why those players are in the XFL and not in the NFL, or even the CFL for that matter.
It’s bad business to go directly against the NFL. The owner of the NY/New Jersey USFL team forced a move to the fall and that doomed the USFL.

There is a safety playing for either the St Louis team or Dallas team. I was watching today and they said he will be drafted in April. The team hes on knows they will lose him. Hes playing because he flunked out of school and wanted to play.

It’s bad business to go directly against the NFL. The owner of the NY/New Jersey USFL team forced a move to the fall and that doomed the USFL.

So, how is playing in Spring going against the NFL?

So, how is playing in Spring going against the NFL?
If go past the draft/into training camp that can affect players who want to go into the NFL and might deter a lot from going into the XFL.

There is a safety playing for either the St Louis team or Dallas team. I was watching today and they said he will be drafted in April. The team hes on knows they will lose him. Hes playing because he flunked out of school and wanted to play.

Kenny Robinson, St Louis Battlehawks

Was one of the best players at West Virginia

I liked the Saturday games. I like the new rules and the speed of the game.

Man, how far has Aaron Murray fallen from being the SECs best QB?

It's a weird time we live in. Apparently the opening night of XFL 1.0 in 2001 did nearly 14 million viewers and yet an average of 3.3 million is a good return in 2020. Goes to show the extent to which television as a platform is dying out and being replaced by subscription streaming services.

The only thing to have bucked the trend somewhat is live sport, which is exactly why FOX paid stupid money to the WWE for Friday Night Smackdown ($1 billion for five years) despite the fact their product is very cold, live attendances are down and audiences are tuning out. They certainly are not drawing the numbers the XFL did, although the extent to which this week's audience can be chalked up to novelty factor remains to be seen.

If the XFL can put on a good product that reliably draws a decent audience (2.5+ million), they will be in a good position to secure a solid TV rights deal at the conclusion of their current three-year term. That is the objective really: McMahon stands to lose $400 million initially basically giving the product away to the TV partners, but the goal is to establish the league as a solid TV property and with an injection of cash after the initial run they will presumably become profitable and can start to spend more money on talent and league expansion.

I watched the Houston - LA game yesterday. I was impressed. It was like watching a scrappy small school vs another scrappy small school college game mid-week during the season compared to the NFL, but I enjoy those games too.

I like the kick off idea. And although it's a little cheeky... I liked the idea behind the live feed of the replay official reviewing calls. An attempt at transparency. The AAF Eye in the Sky was good as well.

It was a much better product than the AAF in my opinion. Likely due to much better QB play. The QBs in the AAF were rough. Although to be fair, the teams only had a few weeks of practice together before the season began. I think the XFL teams had a bit more than that. At least it looked like it.

I hope this league makes it. Spring football is just what I need to get me to the meat of the college baseball season... and draft, ant OTA's, and Free agency.

I hope it makes it. An alternative for the guys that dont quite cut it in the NFL to get to keep playing. And the young guys who need experience

I think you’ll need to wait to see the ratings for the St. Louis/Dallas game to see if it holds over.
If the XFL can hold an entire weekend, this has a shot.

If go past the draft/into training camp that can affect players who want to go into the NFL and might deter a lot from going into the XFL.

The players who signed with the XFL did so because they have no way into NFL: they didn't get drafted, weren't signed as UFRA's, tried out and got cut... Right now, the XFL is not an avenue leading to the NFL, is a player's last hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will notice them. The overwhelming majority of them will never even sniff an NFL training facility.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom