N/S: XFL TV ratings week 1 (1 Viewer)

Seeing the talent the USFL had that went to the NFL, the NFL itself needs not necessarily a competitor that directly competes with them, but an alternative like how USFL or Arena league was, or heck even the WLAF (which I think eventually became NFL Europe later on). Puts these guys not drafted or cut on the field to play to see what they can do.

The players who signed with the XFL did so because they have no way into NFL: they didn't get drafted, weren't signed as UFRA's, tried out and got cut... Right now, the XFL is not an avenue leading to the NFL, is a player's last hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will notice them. The overwhelming majority of them will never even sniff an NFL training facility.
It’s still not a good play to go anywhere past the draft or possibly training camp.
If the XFL goes against the NFL, they will lose.

The players who signed with the XFL did so because they have no way into NFL: they didn't get drafted, weren't signed as UFRA's, tried out and got cut... Right now, the XFL is not an avenue leading to the NFL, is a player's last hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will notice them. The overwhelming majority of them will never even sniff an NFL training facility.
Yeah, but they all HOPE to play in the NFL. That’s really all that matters. And at least a few of them will. It happened with the first iteration of the XFL, and it happens with the CFL each year. Therefore, a Feb-Apr mini-season is the best option for all parties.

Yeah, but they all HOPE to play in the NFL. That’s really all that matters. And at least a few of them will. It happened with the first iteration of the XFL, and it happens with the CFL each year. Therefore, a Feb-Apr mini-season is the best option for all parties.

No, it isn't.

They can hope all they want, but 99.9% of them are rejects and will never even sniff an NFL training camp. That's why they are in the XFL, because they can't get into the NFL, or even the CFL for that matter. Sure, a few may catch the eye of NFL teams, but that doesn't illicit an entire league formulating its schedule around a few players who could possibly be given a tryout by the NFL.

No, it isn't.

They can hope all they want, but 99.9% of them are rejects and will never even sniff an NFL training camp. That's why they are in the XFL, because they can't get into the NFL, or even the CFL for that matter. Sure, a few may catch the eye of NFL teams, but that doesn't illicit an entire league formulating its schedule around a few players who could possibly be given a tryout by the NFL.
Name a better time of year.

Why?

You keep saying that, but it doesn't apply.
Because the NFL is the dominant league. The commissioner is universally hated and the NFL still gets 20 million on a Sunday afternoon.
The XFL got a little over 3 million. It’s good. They can survive if they can keep those numbers, but it cannot compete with the NFL.

No, it isn't.

You do realize there are a number of former or previously drafted NFL players in the league? These are talented players who are a notch below the NFL and could potentially get signed. If they show well and are in good shape, they'll potentially get invited to some team's camp. There are real football coaches out there trying to field the best team possible for a new league.

I was skeptical. The last time I watched anything other than college or pro football was the USFL. I figured I'd give this a try and ended up watch almost all of the 4 games. The quality of play was far better than I expected for as short as their preparation was and it seemed like a lot of it was on point.

As for the scheduling, I agree with the others that you want to stay in your lane and the best time to play games is between the Super Bowl and the draft, which is the slowest time of the year. After the draft, you run into training camps and free agency and also hot weather. Playing football from April to July would not be practical unless all of the games were indoors. Having football games outside is a fun experience and I don't think this new league can afford to be building suitable indoor stadiums.

Just a few of my thoughts anyway.

Unless its indoors or, in the northernmost states, it will be too hot to play in the spring.

I don't think any of the teams currently have an indoor venue. And even if they wanted to, I'm not sure it would be feasible for a small league like theirs. Maybe a few year down the road, it might be doable, but certainly not at this stage.

Last edited:
You do realize there are a number of former or previously drafted NFL players in the league?These are talented players who are a notch below the NFL and could potentially get signed. If they show well and are in good shape, they'll potentially get invited to some team's camp. There are real football coaches out there trying to field the best team possible for a new league.
What you and others don't seem to realize these players are playing in the XFL because they can't make it or make it back into the NFL. McMahon didn't bring back the XFL to farm players to the NFL. The XFL needs players too. Scheduling an entire new league around the possibility that a couple of players could be called up by an NFL team doesn't seem reasonable.

As for the scheduling, I agree with the others that you want to stay in your lane and the best time to play games is between the Super Bowl and the draft, which is the slowest time of the year. After the draft, you run into training camps and free agency and also hot weather. Playing football from April to July would not be practical unless all of the games were indoors. Having football games outside is a fun experience and I don't think this new league can afford to be building suitable indoor stadiums.

March through June. And it's not like sports aren't played outdoors in July. August is a very hot month across the U.S., yet the NFL plays games outdoors in August.

Again, these guys are playing in the XFL because they don't have a shot at being drafted (speculation about this one player who could be notwithstanding) or getting a free agent contract.

The XFL's lane is simply not Hall of Fame game through SB.

Anyway, enough about the XFL... not watching anyway :hihi:

I miss watching NFL Europe games as a kid, and kinda keeping tabs on which guys I liked and hoped they'd get moved up. Only watched a few XFL highlights this weekend though. Will maybe give it a shot...

What you and others don't seem to realize these players are playing in the XFL because they can't make it or make it back into the NFL. McMahon didn't bring back the XFL to farm players to the NFL. The XFL needs players too. Scheduling an entire new league around the possibility that a couple of players could be called up by an NFL team doesn't seem reasonable.

March through June. And it's not like sports aren't played outdoors in July. August is a very hot month across the U.S., yet the NFL plays games outdoors in August.

Again, these guys are playing in the XFL because they don't have a shot at being drafted (speculation about this one player who could be notwithstanding) or getting a free agent contract.

The XFL's lane is simply not Hall of Fame game through SB.

Anyway, enough about the XFL... not watching anyway :hihi:
If they went with that, not only are they competing with training camp, they’re going up against the NBA playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom