N/S: XFL TV ratings week 1 (1 Viewer)

If they went with that, not only are they competing with training camp, they’re going up against the NBA playoffs.

Well, it's either March Madness or the NBA playoffs. But I think it's more because of being the slowest time of the year for the NFL. Regardless what anyone else thinks, I'm confident that the XFL management and front office are very intentional about avoiding stepping onto the NFL's turf and schedule.

As for players wanting to play in the NFL, it's not like the XFL has a choice. They're not gonna be able to prevent players from going if they're invited. It's a dollars and cents thing. There's no way the XFL can compete with the billions the NFL has. The XFL will have to build brand equity and provide an experience that is better than the NFL for it to grow.

After watching the games this weekend, I can honestly say that the viewing experience of the XFL is superior to that of the NFL. Game flow is better. Final 2 minutes of each half is better. Transparency is better. There's a lot to like about what they're doing to make them unique compared to the NFL, yet the game remains easy enough for casual fans to follow. It's a pretty good concept so far. Really hope it's sustainable.

I meant to watch a game or 2. I got busy and forgot, only caught the tail end of the last game.

It's good insurance in case Roger, the Player's Union, Players or the TV networks decide to do something stupid. Ms. Gayle, make it happen!

As for players wanting to play in the NFL, it's not like the XFL has a choice. They're not gonna be able to prevent players from going if they're invited. It's a dollars and cents thing. There's no way the XFL can compete with the billions the NFL has. The XFL will have to build brand equity and provide an experience that is better than the NFL for it to grow.

I think we’re going to see the salaries of NFL practice squad players go up. The days of being able to stash a QB on your practice squad for $8000 a week are probably coming to an end. Especially if the XFL offers that player 300k-400k to start for a team in a short season.

For those of you who watched the game, did you see any position(s) in particular that may have good enough quality players that some NFL teams will grab them? Thx muxh

For those of you who watched the game, did you see any position(s) in particular that may have good enough quality players that some NFL teams will grab them? Thx muxh

There were a few. But, with it being the first game, it's hard to tell what's what. I think we won't know until these guys have several games under their belt.

I think we’re going to see the salaries of NFL practice squad players go up. The days of being able to stash a QB on your practice squad for $8000 a week are probably coming to an end. Especially if the XFL offers that player 300k-400k to start for a team in a short season.

Doubt that. Right now even a max salary in the XFL doesn't reach the minimum practice squad weekly pay and the practice squad pay increases each year in the NFL.

Most of those players want to get into the NFL. If the XFL becomes a direct competitor or hinders players from getting into the NFL, it’ll fail.

That coudl be one of the factors. Also I think they want to wrap things up before the NBA and NHL playoffs start, and also minimize the overlap with MLB. Since all of the cities also have at least one of the other big four sports.

The players who signed with the XFL did so because they have no way into NFL: they didn't get drafted, weren't signed as UFRA's, tried out and got cut... Right now, the XFL is not an avenue leading to the NFL, is a player's last hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will notice them. The overwhelming majority of them will never even sniff an NFL training facility.

Thats pretty harsh. Every year 90 players per team get invited to NFL training camps, thats cut down to 53 + 8 practice squad players. Not to mention, players get cut and signed all the time before and during training camp, so in reality its more over 100 players that go through an NFL training camp, every year. So for those 50 some odd players who didn't make the final cut, and who aren't drawing a regular paycheck, the XFL could be pretty enticing, rather than going through camp again, getting cut and ending up with zilch.

So you have roughly 50 fringe players going through NFL training camp every year, per team * 32 teams, and XFL only has 8 teams. I would say the odds favor that more than 50% of current XFL players, have or will go through an NFL training camp at some point in their careers

Last edited:
Thats pretty harsh.
May be, but it is true.

Every year 90 players per team get invited to NFL training camps, thats cut down to 53 + 8 practice squad players. Not to mention, players get cut and signed all the time before and during training camp, so in reality its more over 100 players that go through an NFL training camp, every year. So for those 50 some odd players who didn't make the final cut, and who aren't drawing a regular paycheck, the XFL could be pretty enticing, rather than going through camp again, getting cut and ending up with zilch.

So you have roughly 50 fringe players going through NFL training camp every year, per team * 32 teams, and XFL only has 8 teams. I would say the odds favor that more than 50% of current XFL players, have or will go through an NFL training camp at some point in their careers

There are a lot of things you are not considering, like the number of players with contracts, or the number of journeymen jumping from one team to another, and that many in the XFL can't get past being camp bodies. And the camp bodies, they've already been cut, so teams jknow more or less what the bring to the table.

When you look at any given roster, how many spots are really for grabs by players signed off the street?

Then you have players coming out of college (and cheap potential supersedes camp body), players in the CFL...

May be, but it is true.

There are a lot of things you are not considering, like the number of players with contracts, or the number of journeymen jumping from one team to another, and that many in the XFL can't get past being camp bodies. And the camp bodies, they've already been cut, so teams jknow more or less what the bring to the table.

When you look at any given roster, how many spots are really for grabs by players signed off the street?

Then you have players coming out of college (and cheap potential supersedes camp body), players in the CFL...

Your claim of "overwhelming majority of XFL players not sniffing an NFL training facility" is not right. If you are a "camp body" as you say, hey guess what you do actually get access to an NFL training facility. I say the majority of XFL will, at some point in their careers, be signed to at least a reserve NFL contract - i.e, a "camp body" at least, if they haven't already. As to making the final 53 or even starting, well probably < 5% ever will.

Your claim of "overwhelming majority of XFL players not sniffing an NFL training facility" is not right. If you are a "camp body" as you say, hey guess what you do actually get access to an NFL training facility. I say the majority of XFL will, at some point in their careers, be signed to at least a reserve NFL contract - i.e, a "camp body" at least, if they haven't already. As to making the final 53 or even starting, well probably < 5% ever will.

Great.

I hope the XFL can find players to fill 8 full rosters every year, since all of the XFL players are going to be drafted and/or signed by July to NFL rosters.

Great.

I hope the XFL can find players to fill 8 full rosters every year, since all of the XFL players are going to be drafted and/or signed by July to NFL rosters.

And I think they'd be perfeclty OK with that. Play in the XFL, get signed to NFL team, get cut, play in the XFL next year ... If the XFL sticks around at some point the NFL may just allow those fringe guys to play in the XFL in the spring, in order to retain rights.

I hope the XFL makes it just to throw a wrench in the NCAA/NFL’s monopoly. If a high school graduate or a junior college player is good enough to get paid to play pro football, he should be able to do that without having to wait til he’s 3 years out of high school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom