N/S: XFL TV ratings week 1 (1 Viewer)

That coudl be one of the factors. Also I think they want to wrap things up before the NBA and NHL playoffs start, and also minimize the overlap with MLB. Since all of the cities also have at least one of the other big four sports.
I doubt MLB is a top priority now since it’s national coverage is basically gone.
I think they don’t want to compete with the NBA playoffs since ABC/ESPN air those.

I doubt MLB is a top priority now since it’s national coverage is basically gone.
I think they don’t want to compete with the NBA playoffs since ABC/ESPN air those.

Yeah, this time of the year is a great time for access to the major networks because there's not a lot to compete with outside of March Madness. This is why we're seeing the games televised nationally, and not just opening weekend. This is a big deal imo because the model is probably sustainable if there is good access to it.

If the league is a success then hopefully 2K make an XFL 2K game and start putting some pressure on EA to up their game when it comes to Madden or they’ll be coming for that license.

I am officially switching XFL allegiance to the St. Louis Battlehawks. 2 reasons... 1)their coach is Pelican Jaxson Hayes dad and 2)they celebrated their first win by shot gunning hard seltzer.

Vince learned a thing or two and got a chance at a repeat effort - glad he capitalized. The NFL needs competition or it will start looking like Madden does currently without competition from the 2K series.

The XFL needs to find a way to establish itself as it’s own entity, not concerned about, or a competitor to the NFL.

I run a small company. I don’t see the Goliath’s of our industry to be my competition. Instead, we are a niche organization in competition with other niche organizations.

The XFL’s competitor is other sporting/entertainment companies who operate in the spring. They have the luxury of being the most visible football product, among that niche competition.

Back to our small business. Of course I expect some people to use us as a stepping stone. We aren’t for everyone, and everyone isn’t for us, but we are able to establish a really good core that we can add to from time to time. There is no shortage of good people we can employ, and we make sure the quality of our product is as good as we can possibly produce it.

I see the XFL in the same light. They are not competing with the NFL, and I’m sure they expect some of their players to try to get to that next level. But, there are only so many jobs to be had at that level, and If people want to continue playing football, the XFL is an option. There are good players to be had. The XFL’s teams can likely establish a core roster, with the understanding that there may be some turnover at the top and bottom of the talent pool. If it gets to a point where the top of your roster is turning over quickly, that’s a good problem to have. It means you are developing talent and offering your customers a good product. It’s a bragging point. It’s a selling point to young talent as well as your consumers.

I’m a big MMA guy, I love the UFC. Well, there are two really good smaller promotions that I follow and enjoy as well. LFA and Invicta. Both of these promotions are constantly losing people to the UFC. Do they complain about it? No. They brag about it. They are where fighters with a desire to get to the ultimate level come in pursuit of their dreams. The result? They put on great events and have talented people working for them.. Neither promotion is competing with the UFC, but they are industry leaders in their niche, which is smart business.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see if wrestling money is more stable than whatever house of cards propped up the AAF for a handful of games. I would think they'll at least finish the season.

I'm curious to see if wrestling money is more stable than whatever house of cards propped up the AAF for a handful of games. I would think they'll at least finish the season.
It’s totally separate. In fact, the wrestling business is trending down at the moment.

2.495 million for the Sunday game.

The Houston-LA Wildcats did a 2.3 national rating but I am unclear as to what the translates to in audience numbers. Thought this was interesting too, though obviously something of a false comparison at this stage given the number of NBA games in a season:

On the other hand, the XFL’s initial numbers are better than the typical viewership of the NBA, the strongest winter competition the league will have. Last season, regular-season NBA games across ESPN and ABC averaged 1.99 million viewers and TNT games averaged 1.5 million.

I figure this deserves its own thread -- and it's good news for the XFL and football fans generally.

tenor.gif

I'm sure it will not be able to sustain that amount of viewership, but even if it can do close to that, it's an overwhelming success.

This Country has needed another football platform for a long time.

The closest we got was the AAF, which started off hot and then dwindled put bc of mismanagement.

I dont see the XFL going anywhere. It's a great product, ran by an extremely wealthy man. Backed by football experts that know how to promote and sustain entertainment, and professionalism.

It I'd actually really good football. I was pleasantly surprised.

Here's to sustaining success ?

I'm sure it will not be able to sustain that amount of viewership, but even if it can do close to that, it's an overwhelming success.

This Country has needed another football platform for a long time.

The closest we got was the AAF, which started off hot and then dwindled put bc of mismanagement.

I dont see the XFL going anywhere. It's a great product, ran by an extremely wealthy man. Backed by football experts that know how to promote and sustain entertainment, and professionalism.

It I'd actually really good football. I was pleasantly surprised.

Here's to sustaining success ?
March Madness will be the test to whether the XFL can survive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom