NASCAR implements stage-based race format, playoff-point incentives (1 Viewer)

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
NASCAR, in collaboration with its industry stakeholders, announced today competition format enhancements that will be implemented in all three of its national series -- the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

Under the new format, races will consist of three stages, with championship implications in each stage. The top-10 finishers in each stage will be awarded additional championship points. The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to a driver's reset total following the 26th race, if that competitor makes the playoffs.

The structure also ensures that competition will be dialed up throughout the duration of the 26-race regular season, as points for both stage winners and race winners will transfer into the postseason -- and an official regular-season champion will be crownded, and rewarded with 15 playoff points to the driver's playoff reset of 2,000. The stage format also gives fans a pair of natural breaks in the action.

All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the postseason (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.

Championship points following the first two stages of each race will be awarded on a descending scale, with the stage winner receiving 10 points, second earning nine points, and so on. The race winner following the final stage will receive 40 points, second-place will earn 35, third-place 34, fourth-place 33, and so on.

In addition, the top-10 drivers in regular-season points also will receive playoff points with second place earning 10 points, third place getting eight points, fourth place obtaining seven points, and so on.

NASCAR race format 2017 season: Enhancements announced for all national series | NASCAR.com

Um. Chuck break this down for me.

The ONLY positive I see coming out of this is watching usual last place cars leading a segment and gaining points by staying out/pitting early in order to be up front at segment end.

Otherwise. Money grab with more commercial breaks.

Get 3 all out races within a race, first two probably won't have the crash bang of the checkered. The explanation sound like a restroom brake for fans at the track as there will be a scheduled yellow for the segment breaks.

Never watched NASCAR but only a few times...Stwewart was such a sore loser and cry baby...I can't see why so many people like him.

The day I watched the Watkins Glenn race, Gordon and him went at it, it was awesome. Because till that point, nobody messed with Gordon.

And THE MOST MEMORABLE NASCAR CHASE CHAMPIONSHIP EVER

The day I watched the Watkins Glenn race, Gordon and him went at it, it was awesome. Because till that point, nobody messed with Gordon.

And THE MOST MEMORABLE NASCAR CHASE CHAMPIONSHIP EVER

I got you man. Just never could stand him.

Rusty Wallace took no **** from Gordon.

I haven't watched NASCAR since Darrell Waltrip was in the Mountain Dew car. I loved that Mountain Dew car for obvious reasons. :hihi:

NASCAR is best watched LIVE at the track. Kinda got out of it lately....haven't been to a race in almost 5 years.

The ONLY positive I see coming out of this is watching usual last place cars leading a segment and gaining points by staying out/pitting early in order to be up front at segment end.

Otherwise. Money grab with more commercial breaks.

Come to think of it, it could be called the Danica Patrick Rule.

Stopped caring when Stewart retired

I stopped caring the day Dale Earnhardt Sr. died. My favorite sports moment is obviously our Sb win. My 2nd favorite was the Intimidator finally
winning the Daytona 500. Dale Jr. doesn't have his dads charisma. I've watched races since,but it just isn't the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom