Saints Nasty medicine that does some good (Falcons game) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
We all know the situation prior to that disaster last Sunday:

1. The team was given the entire week off; no football practice or meetings.
2. The players spent the week listening to all the talking heads :blabla: arguing over "Which Team is the Best in the NFL?" In addition to that, many of the players had friends (some of them fellow NFL players) texting or tweeting them about how good the Saints are playing. THEY ATE THE CHEESE.

This reminds me of Rocky III, where Clubber Lang prepared for Rocky Balboa. Rocky took the life of ease, and Clubber worked-out hard and vigorously:

How'd that work out for the Saints... uhhhh... I mean Rocky?

Soooooo... after getting our arse handed to us by the Falcons, it's now a laser focus on the next opponent.

This is a good thing, and I have no doubt that this will carry over to the postseason.

Sidebar: I think the Panthers will be in trouble vs. Atlanta. Typically, teams coming off a big win ...after a long losing streak--- come out very strong in the next game. I say: Falcons 29 Panthers 23.

Our boys will use this to finish strong.

:gosaints:

I look at last year for some guidance on how we might respond to the humiliating loss to the Falcons.

We had an absolute clunker against Dallas (in Dallas mind you, but a clunker none-the-less).

The following week against Tampa (in Tampa) -- our "embarrassed" and "angry" team came out as flat as a pancake against the Bucs. We were down 14-3 in the 3rd quarter before a Tayson Hill blocked punt sort of kicked things into overdrive -- losing streak avoided and the Saints pull away late 28-14.

The following week against a Panthers team (in Carolina) that had lost 5 straight and were starting a QB (Cam Newton) who could barely hit the broadside of a barn with his shredded throwing shoulder. We eeked out a win, but it was a tough game. 13-9.

I bring this up to illustrate that part of the problem facing the team is that Payton seems (just an observation) to have a hard time getting his team up for games where the Saints are heavily favored. Not sure if it's something in the prep, not sure if it's something you can even see with the naked eye but it seems like Payton's teams have a difficult time dominating a team that is vulnerable.

The term "plays down to the competition" has been used to describe this and it's been one of the things that has lingered throughout Payton's tenure as coach. It's not every time, of course...but it happens more than we all like and it's a big reason why I know lot's of Saints fans are very nervous about Sunday.

It's also why the fact that our second half schedule had a few "clunkers" concerned me more than it pleased me.

If the Panthers are gunning for South positioning next week (assuming they don't lose Sunday), you can bet the Saints will be UP for that game. Same can be said for the Niners game. I just don't know what we are going to see on Sunday in Tampa. My heart wants a clean, crisp, aggressive, balanced team to dominate the Bucs. But I'm concerned that we will likely see more of what we saw against Atlanta.

Anyway... I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I look at last year for some guidance on how we might respond to the humiliating loss to the Falcons.

We had an absolute clunker against Dallas (in Dallas mind you, but a clunker none-the-less).

The following week against Tampa (in Tampa) -- our "embarrassed" and "angry" team came out as flat as a pancake against the Bucs. We were down 14-3 in the 3rd quarter before a Tayson Hill blocked punt sort of kicked things into overdrive -- losing streak avoided and the Saints pull away late 28-14.

The following week against a Panthers team (in Carolina) that had lost 5 straight and were starting a QB (Cam Newton) who could barely hit the broadside of a barn with his shredded throwing shoulder. We eeked out a win, but it was a tough game. 13-9.

I bring this up to illustrate that part of the problem facing the team is that Payton seems (just an observation) to have a hard time getting his team up for games where the Saints are heavily favored. Not sure if it's something in the prep, not sure if it's something you can even see with the naked eye but it seems like Payton's teams have a difficult time dominating a team that is vulnerable.

The term "plays down to the competition" has been used to describe this and it's been one of the things that has lingered throughout Payton's tenure as coach. It's not every time, of course...but it happens more than we all like and it's a big reason why I know lot's of Saints fans are very nervous about Sunday.

It's also why the fact that our second half schedule had a few "clunkers" concerned me more than it pleased me.

If the Panthers are gunning for South positioning next week (assuming they don't lose Sunday), you can bet the Saints will be UP for that game. Same can be said for the Niners game. I just don't know what we are going to see on Sunday in Tampa. My heart wants a clean, crisp, aggressive, balanced team to dominate the Bucs. But I'm concerned that we will likely see more of what we saw against Atlanta.

Agree. With our injuries I’m not optimistic.

We've also seen this team respond following a bad game. They did it in good years like 2017, 2013 and 2011. I don't feel like the injury situation is anything like last year. We had almost the entire o-line and receiving core on the injury list.

I think Clapp or Easton can do a good enough job with a week to prepare. Armstead will bounce back along with the rest of the o-line. The d-line has too much talent to be happy with those results. They'll be ready.

The Lattimore injury is the only one that concerns me because it's unfamiliar territory and a big drop off. A good showing from the d-line and some guys stepping up will help. If it becomes a problem it will just be the offenses turn to carry the load. I think they'll be up to the task. Armstead, Kamara, Brees, Jordan, etc. will be working hard to put up a good showing. The talent is still there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom