Nate Clements is NOT an $80 million man!!!! (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There are countless posts on here about the potential CB contracts soon ballooning up to $100 million and talk of "Nate Clements money". People, I implore you, please look at Nate Clements' contact and you will see that he will NOT be getting anywhere near $80 million. The deal was pure window dressing, very heavily back-loaded with money he will never, ever see. "Nate Clements money" is just a phrase the media uses to exaggerate the scope of the deals in place today.

Have a look at his contract:

The deal contains $22.6 million in guarantees.

2008: $3,383,334 (+ $10 million roster bonus),

2009: $3,516,666,

2010: $6 million,

2011: $7.25 million,

2012: $9 million,

2013: $10.77 million,

2014: $15.48 million,

2015: Free Agent

Since 2014 has already been voided, he really only has a contract for $64.02 million.

Then there's the issue of re-structuring. By the time 2012 rolls around, he will be 33 and won't get another long-term deal at that age. The club will either have him re-structure or cut him, so you can take 2012 and 2013 off the contact, amounting to another $19.77 million. So this deal really amounts to a 5-year contract, $44.25 million (+/-... how much of the guaranteed money will still be left on the floor once he re-structures is speculative). The really big hit in the contract comes this year, when he is due a $10 million roster bonus. The 49'ers are way under the cap and can afford to take the hit.

So, Nate Clements money is not that bad. CBs are a long, long way away from getting the $100 million deal that only the top QBs are getting, so don't worry about Nate Clements setting the bar for CBs and think that any premium CB will require a team to completely break the bank to sign him, because the Nate Clements contract is PURE HOGWASH!

So, please, no more posts on Nate Clements and his phantom contract and how much a club will have to "break the bank" to get a CB in FA. The contracts may not be pretty, but "Nate Clements money" really, isn't as bad as it seems.

Still, he makes more money than I do. :(

They took it down; I can't remember. It wasn't that much; something like $1.5 million.

I asked because I am wondering what he received up front in the form of signing bonus. I recall that it was a pretty hefty amount.

Adding up the salaries, plus the roster bonus, plus this season's salary comes out to about $66-$67 million, so his signing bonus would have been in the neighbourhood of about $14 million. By contrast, however, Peyton Manning got a $34.5 million signing bonus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom