National Hockey League ‘22-‘23 (1 Viewer)

Did you ever notice that the NHL has a basket full of familiar names?...Laviolette is one of them....and they just shuffle around from team to team.
In the NFL coaches often rise up from their coordinator positions.
In MLB if guys do a great job managing at the AAA level they have a shot at the big leagues... SOMETIMES anyway.
The NHL seems so fixated upon the names in my pretend basket.
Agree? Disagree?
Thoughts everyone?

Last edited:
Nah, you’re not wrong. The NHL seems to recycle more coaches than anyone. Heck, Joel Quenneville has a legit shot at getting back in the league, even after everything that occurred under his watch while with Chicago.

Yeah it does seem as the same coaches keep getting jobs in the NHL just with different teams. Didn’t Mike Keenan end up coaching a couple more teams after NY, a couple others come to mind just can’t remember their names

Did you ever notice that the NHL has a basket full of familiar names...Laviolette is one of them....and they just shuffle around from team to team.
In the NFL coaches often rise up from their coordinator positions.
In MLB if guys do a great job managing at the AAA level they have a shot at the big leagues... SOMETIMES anyway.
The NHL seems so fixated in the names in my pretend basket.
Agree? Disagree?
Thoughts everyone?
That happens in pretty much every league. Recycled coaches are a dime a dozen everywhere. Finding an up and coming young coach in college or semi-pro leagues is the hard part. Some leagues promote from within more than others. But the NBA, NFL and MLB all tend to look for experienced coaches or within the organization before taking risks elsewhere.

Yeah it does seem as the same coaches keep getting jobs in the NHL just with different teams. Didn’t Mike Keenan end up coaching a couple more teams after NY, a couple others come to mind just can’t remember their names
After the Rangers ?

Believe it was St Louis, then Vancouver, then Boston, then Florida, then Calgary.

Last I recall he was coaching in the KHL but he may have finally retired.

I thought the NY Strangers would have finally hired a newbie, there's a few to chooses from that will end up being good NHL coaches from Sweden the US and Canada.

I guess the pressure to hire a known entity is a thing. (Looking at you Saints)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom