National Nuclear Security Administration (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Dismissing NNSA bosses may leave American nukes in a lurch - Business Insider

It isn't unusual for a new president to clean house across US agencies, but neither is keeping a few crucial appointed roles filled — at least until worthy successors are named. This is especially true of the leadership of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), which safeguards America's stockpile of roughly 7,000 nuclear weapons.

But according to a Monday Gizmodo story by Ashley Feinberg, NNSA leaders Frank Klotz and Madelyn Creedon have tendered their resignations and "the Trump transition team has not asked the top two NNSA officials to stay on until they can be replaced."

The apparent and coming vacuum in NNSA leadership is the word from an unnamed "official within the Department of Energy."
Should I be worried about this?

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that the Trump Transition demanded resignations from all political positions. The article I read said it was unusual for a blanket dismissal given the need for continuity in some posts and the fact that replacements aren't ready to take over as of day 1.

So presuming these things are all true, I would think that NNSA is a particularly important post. That said, there are always highly-positioned "career" officials at each agency that are outside of the political appointment process (and are full-time government employees like any other) that will ensure continuity of operations and make interim decisions if it is absolutely necessary. Having at least one career official fairly high up in each agency is a feature of the executive branch intended for precisely this scenario.

It isn't like they just turn the lights off and lock the doors until the new folks arrive.

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score
Correction, 1/9/17, 11:03 p.m., : Another NNSA official, speaking on background to Gizmodo and Defense News, has disputed this report as “inaccurate” while confirming that “there have been no discussions between the president-elect’s transition team and any of NNSA’s political appointees on extending their public service past Jan. 20.” In other words, the Trump transition team has not asked the top two NNSA officials to stay on until they can be replaced.

https://gizmodo.com/trump-just-dismissed-the-people-in-charge-of-maintainin-1790908093

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So the important part is confirmed true. The correction is just that Trump didn't explicitly ask them to leave, but he guaranteed didn't want or ask them to stay and has yet to name (or even contemplate naming, no mention was made that they have even considered the positions yet) any replacement for the positions that will become vacant in less than 200 hours. I'd like to think that these positions are not ones you fill with 48 hours to think about and evaluate the people.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This story is a bit more disturbing when coupled with recent allegations concerning Trump.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
So the important part is confirmed true. The correction is just that Trump didn't explicitly ask them to leave, but he guaranteed didn't want or ask them to stay and has yet to name (or even contemplate naming, no mention was made that they have even considered the positions yet) any replacement for the positions that will become vacant in less than 200 hours. I'd like to think that these positions are not ones you fill with 48 hours to think about and evaluate the people.
Amorosa...you're hired.

Yeah I caught that too ...Looney posts an article that CONFIRMS that there has been no talks of retaining thier leadership past 1/20.

I figured he read the article and update.

Oops. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom