National Treasure (1 Viewer)

Do we really have a national treasure anymore? An argument could be made for Willie, or Spielberg, Cameron, but I dunno. Sports no one comes to mind that trancesnds the sporting arena into being a voice for others and is irreplaceable. Maybe Bill Gates? Guy is not only tremendously successful at business, but also his philanthropy is incredible.

It seems like you were looking for someone to engage you or contest your initial point
not at all, that was my honest answer, but knowing how EE skews to the tongue-in-cheek more than the heartfelt, i supplied the caveat

. I'll bite. I don't actually disagree that she is, but it does lack context. She seems to be a very successful and influential woman, but I have a pretty devil may care attitude towards politics. What in your estimation qualifies her as a national treasure?

of several issues the country is grappling with, health is one of the biggest (and most controllable individually)
her focusing on grassroots issues instead of national policy (opposite of what hillary got blasted for) demonstrates a confidence and strength that is admirable
that the white house was scandal free for the first time ever (sorry jimmy but billie counts) indicates that she's probably one of the better people to ever be in the white house
that she had to watch her husband and herself endure jim crow era prejudices in the 21st century and then be able to rise above them shows a strength of character that most of us will never have to demonstrate (or be able to if the situation arose)

also most of the "treasures" we're discussing aren't really people but characters people play (shattner = kirk)
the sense that i get is that michelle's celebrity is one of the least artificial out there (though i realize that that completely subjective)

Do we really have a national treasure anymore? An argument could be made for Willie, or Spielberg, Cameron, but I dunno. Sports no one comes to mind that trancesnds the sporting arena into being a voice for others and is irreplaceable. Maybe Bill Gates? Guy is not only tremendously successful at business, but also his philanthropy is incredible.

Dylan just won a nobel prize - should that count for something?
i think several of our olympic swimmers and gymnasts would be in the conversation - i know the USWNT hope carli lloyd/alex morgan get to that Mia Hamm level
does Elon Musk count even though he was born in S. Africa?

How has no one mentioned Tom Hanks???

Probably the best actor of a generation and represents America with class.

I would also add Spielberg as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom