Natty Narwhal (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Was just curious if any of you have tried the beta and what your thoughts are concerning Unity in particular. I never upgraded to 10.10 and am still running 10.04 so I figure it's might be time to go with 11.04...maybe. I really like the clean desktop of Gnome, and Unity looks a little busy.

Was just curious if any of you have tried the beta and what your thoughts are concerning Unity in particular. I never upgraded to 10.10 and am still running 10.04 so I figure it's might be time to go with 11.04...maybe. I really like the clean desktop of Gnome, and Unity looks a little busy.

Right there with you Buick!

I'm also using 10.04 and never upgraded to 10.10. Since 10.04 is a LTS, I plan on keeping it until the next LTS. I've got 10.10 on a virtual machine that I use as my "beta box" to keep track of the latest & greatest Ubuntu changes. Didn't really notice anything significantly different or better in 10.10, but I'll be upgrading the VM to 11.04 at the end of the month.

Like you, I'm a Gnome fan, but I've also got an open mind about Unity and I'm kind of anxious to see what the move to Wayland will do for desktop renderings. I REALLY like 10.04 though, so something is gonna have to be pretty spectacular to "clear the bar", so to speak. I've also got 10.04 UNR on a netbook and 11.04 seems to be mimicking the look of that. I really like it on a netbook/laptop, but not sure about a desktop yet?

Any early adopters care to share your thoughts?

i'm willing to try unity. i was never a gnome fan, but kinda forced to use it after kde4 (UGH).

i keep forgetting to dl the beta and test it out. isn't the 2nd release out now?

i'm willing to try unity. i was never a gnome fan, but kinda forced to use it after kde4 (UGH).

i keep forgetting to dl the beta and test it out. isn't the 2nd release out now?

Yeah, apparently KDE4 was a nightmare for KDE fans/users. Supposedly, the new 4.6 has finally worked out all those bugs. Everything I'm hearing and reading indicates that 4.6 is finally what was intended at 4.0!

As far as Unity in 11.04, there's typically an alpha 1, alpha 2, beta, rc, and final release. Final release is scheduled for April 28 i think, and Ubuntu always releases on schedule. With 1 week to go, I'd imagine the release candidate (rc) is the current version, or certainly the beta.

If you "beta box" your install on a non-production machine like I do, you're probably okay, but I've learned that final releases will still get flurries of bug fixes and patches for another 2-4 weeks after final release. Personally, I'll wait that whole extra month before I download and install the latest & greatest Ubuntu. I can't afford the extra frustration of troubleshooting a bug/patch that will be forthcoming shortly anyways...

If you install, can you post a review and screenshots maybe? I'm very interested in what the newest desktop option might look like and how it will operate and perform. Thanks!

thank you for the update! ok, i'll have to give it a whirl. i'll probably virtuabox it.

i've read that 4.6 is a lot better, but i've been scarred by 4.0 so i don't know if i even care to try it.

I upgraded to the Beta, but my laptop died 2 days later (unrelated, I hope), so I didn't have time to fool with it.

I downloaded the 64 bit alt-version, burned it to disc, and installed it to an SSD. Howtoforge.com doesn't have any howto's yet, so I'll be winging most everything else. Also wanted to pass on for those of you that might be having very slow downloads to switch the server in synaptic to one close to you. I use Columbia U and it maxes out my d/l speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom