NBA All Star Game--Great Marketing for League, City (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And on several fronts, the contrast between what the NBA has just done and what the NFL has done recently with its signature event, the Super Bowl, warrants discussion on this forum.

I watched the pregame and most of the first half of the All Star game last night. The presentation and telecast heavily emphasized the city. It was a tremendous marketing effort by the NBA, which does know something about marketing.

I keenly am aware of the commitment that the NFL made to New Orleans in the immediate aftermath of Katrina. Paul Tagliabue is personally responsible for the Saints staying in New Orleans. With a different commissioner, the Saints would have permanently relocated to San Antonio. And I was at the 2006 Atlanta game and know that the league made the Saint's return to the Superdome a national event.

However, I offer these observations:

1. The NFL's commissioner at the league's signature event two weeks ago in Arizona spent way too much time talking about Spygate and dark clouds on the horizon with the collective bargaining agreement. Too many prominent owners--the younger guys who have built the new stadiums and who have a large debt to service but considerable potential to generate revenue--are advocating the league should opt out of the CBA (is it in 2009?), which will open Pandora's box and could result in the end of the salary cap in pro football. If the salary cap goes, professional football changes greatly. Look at major league baseball.

2. I know people with both Saints and Hornets tickets who constantly tell me how much more consumer-friendly the Hornets organization is than the Saints organization.

3. Assuming the state and Saints come to some agreement extending the team's commitment to remain in New Orleans, the NFL should give the city a Super Bowl. Good for the city. And good for the league's image.

And on several fronts, the contrast between what the NBA has just done and what the NFL has done recently with its signature event, the Super Bowl, warrants discussion on this forum.

I watched the pregame and most of the first half of the All Star game last night. The presentation and telecast heavily emphasized the city. It was a tremendous marketing effort by the NBA, which does know something about marketing.

I keenly am aware of the commitment that the NFL made to New Orleans in the immediate aftermath of Katrina. Paul Tagliabue is personally responsible for the Saints staying in New Orleans. With a different commissioner, the Saints would have permanently relocated to San Antonio. And I was at the 2006 Atlanta game and know that the league made the Saint's return to the Superdome a national event.

However, I offer these observations:

1. The NFL's commissioner at the league's signature event two weeks ago in Arizona spent way too much time talking about Spygate and dark clouds on the horizon with the collective bargaining agreement. Too many prominent owners--the younger guys who have built the new stadiums and who have a large debt to service but considerable potential to generate revenue--are advocating the league should opt out of the CBA (is it in 2009?), which will open Pandora's box and could result in the end of the salary cap in pro football. If the salary cap goes, professional football changes greatly. Look at major league baseball.

2. I know people with both Saints and Hornets tickets who constantly tell me how much more consumer-friendly the Hornets organization is than the Saints organization.

3. Assuming the state and Saints come to some agreement extending the team's commitment to remain in New Orleans, the NFL should give the city a Super Bowl. Good for the city. And good for the league's image.

i read something last week that the Saints (i think Greg Bensel) - wait here ya go

""The Saints are working with local, state and regional governmental officials and business leadership to determine whether a formal bid from New Orleans will be presented to the NFL to host the 2012 Super Bowl,” said Saints Vice President of Communications Greg Bensel. “Mr. Benson and his family feel very strongly that hosting the 2012 Super Bowl would yield a tremendous economic benefit for the city, state and region and would be yet another example of how the New Orleans Saints are committed to rebuilding the area.”"

that tells me something about the 2010 deadline

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/2/Saints Power Local Economies.aspx

I have to argue one point I'm a long time season ticket holder for the Saints and now the Hornets....I would rather shoot myself in the foot than deal with the Hornets ticket personel...However, this is just my personal experience...I have never had one problem with the Saints....

i read something last week that the Saints (i think Greg Bensel) - wait here ya go

""The Saints are working with local, state and regional governmental officials and business leadership to determine whether a formal bid from New Orleans will be presented to the NFL to host the 2012 Super Bowl,” said Saints Vice President of Communications Greg Bensel. “Mr. Benson and his family feel very strongly that hosting the 2012 Super Bowl would yield a tremendous economic benefit for the city, state and region and would be yet another example of how the New Orleans Saints are committed to rebuilding the area.”"

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/2/Saints Power Local Economies.aspx

Wait. Let me ask Spock for the universal translator.

"The Saints have reminded local, state and regional government officials and business leadership that their commitment on a number of fronts, including the substantial rebuild or replacement of the current stadium, will determine whether a formal bid from New Orleans will be presented to the NFL to host the 2012 Super Bowl, not that there's any guarantee of actually getting the carrot, although I can tell you a little something else about the stick," said the person who writes quotes for Saints Vice President of Communications Greg Bensel.

"Mr. Benson and his legatees, whose interests are completely and perfectly aligned, feel very strongly about reminding everyone that hosting the 2012 Super Bowl would yield a tremendous economic benefit for the city, state, and region and would be yet another example of how either keeping or not keeping the team in the city is critical to the national perception of the region's recovery process, win, lose or draw, and we're willing to work with you to some extent, but let's be mindful of the bigger picture here at all times, because no matter how sour or sweet the owner of the New Orleans Saints might actually be, it's ultimately the Bob Krafts, Jerry Joneses and Dan Snyders we've got to keep reasonably satisfied, if not happy, about our overall revenue stream."

Or something like that.

An interesting read....thanks for posting that link. This certainly bodes well for a new long term deal between the Saints and State of LA. We would not be hearing these rumblings if the talks were not going very well.

:beerchug:

I have to argue one point I'm a long time season ticket holder for the Saints and now the Hornets....I would rather shoot myself in the foot than deal with the Hornets ticket personel...However, this is just my personal experience...I have never had one problem with the Saints....

Wow, my experience has been exactly the opposite.

Sometimes I think it's just the luck of the draw...lol....next year I may have the opposite opinion....the saints ticket personel could be the thorn in my you know what...lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom