NBA Playoffs 2019 (3 Viewers)

RazorOye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Getting underway today!

Watching Leonard is going to be a treat. Even though the Raptors have had a decent run the last few years, I haven't gone into a post-season quite this excited. Gasol has been a difference maker, too.

The emergency appendectomy for OG Anunoby is scary and not sure where his minutes go. Lin, maybe?

Regardless, really excited for this run.

raptors as in...?

or

just curious because i thought both were extinct, or at least their roster almost is.... hahahahahahahahahaha breath hahahahahahahaha

so, had a discussion with someone who is reasonably well connected to the franchise ownership and sits next to them at most games and a co-worker has worked in the organization and still tied to it. Conventional wisdom, according to them, is that when they signed Leonard they didn't think they'd keep him. Like, no chance.

But now, the feeling is that they have a solid shot and that it's between us and the Clippers.

So, we'll see.

The franchise can throw a mountain of money at him.

Keeping Siakam and Green are the next highest priorities. And we'll see what happens with Gasol.

And the OVO black and gold stuff is dope.

Of course, I'm already partial to black and gold.

Watching Spurs Nuggets. Only seen Spurs play once this season. They've completely changed that roster. They looking decent against the 2 seed Nuggets. Weird seeing them in the 7 spot and on the road in the first round.

They don't look near as stacked as they usually are, but they've got some talented young players it looks like. Pop has them playing solid defense as usual. Denver with only 37 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Not even gonna lie..............my interest in the NBA playoffs is about 50% of what it might normally be, with LeBron not being there.

Not even gonna lie..............my interest in the NBA playoffs is about 50% of what it might normally be, with LeBron not being there.

I don't think you're alone. Ratings have been dropping at varying (sometimes double digit) levels this year. And that's after last year was largely a plateau after the previous few years of growth. Feels like this NBA boom period is already cooling off. The problem when you're marketing yourself as a personality/brand driven league is that it has an inherently short shelf life. NBA has always gone through boom and bust periods other sports really don't. I think we're seeing it again.

I don't think you're alone. Ratings have been dropping at varying (sometimes double digit) levels this year. And that's after last year was largely a plateau after the previous few years of growth. Feels like this NBA boom period is already cooling off. The problem when you're marketing yourself as a personality/brand driven league is that it has an inherently short shelf life. NBA has always gone through boom and bust periods other sports really don't. I think we're seeing it again.

I don't follow much of the NBA talking head / rumor mill stuff.........but I do listen to some sports radio here and there, and occasionally certain discussions get my attention. At times it almost felt like it was "understood" that heading into the 2018/2019 NBA season, it was mostly looking like everyone just needed to concede another title to the Warriors.........but 2019/2020 is where the major shakeups/action would be happening in free agency. If, in fact, that is the general fan mindset......I can see why some might not be at peak excitement.

There were many who disliked seeing LeBron in the finals every year for basically an entire decade.......but they still eagerly tuned in, hoping to see him lose. And, like a good pro wrestling heel, he did lose often enough to send the fans home happy. Then there were others, like myself, who are a bit more casual in our NBA fandom......but understood that we were witnessing an all-time great. I'm sure there are casual NFL fans who watch the Patriots sometimes because they feel that way about Brady.

It's basically going to take the Rockets...or whoever.....preventing the Warriors from winning the title again this season to potentially re-ignite major fan interest, I'd think.

Lebron is a huge driver of ratings. No doubt. But viewership was mostly the same this year for ESPN while TNT saw drops. I think we'll see a ratings dip, but I also think with Lebron in the twilight of his career, it opens up the landscape for the next thing. Giannis? Leonard? The Warriors vs. Everyone? Zion? Other franchises saw increases - Toronto was one of them. Giannis's Bucks, too. There are enough things in play that I think a 're-igniting major fan interest' isn't really necessary, because it assumes there's been a "major" decline of fan interest. I don't know that that's the case.

And 2018 playoffs ratings were generally up - the highest since 2012 or 2013, for the most part. And non-Lebron games were pretty major factor.

The Finals cooled for sure - I know I didn't find the Finals all that compelling last year. But the Western Conference finals were ?

The NBA also has done a masterful job with offseason relevancy.

I also think overall sports viewership ratings are part of an NBA ratings discussion, too. The NFL saw a couple of years of stagnation before a bit of a rebound last season, e.g.

I assume ratings will be down from last year and I agree that the best shot for getting a lot of viewers is someone giving the Warriors a real run for their money in the West, a la Houston last year.

And though I'd love to see Toronto in the Finals, I don't think it would be great for ratings in the US.

But if they play the way they did in Game 1, we won't have to worry about that, anyway lol

Lebron is a huge driver of ratings. No doubt. But viewership was mostly the same this year for ESPN while TNT saw drops. I think we'll see a ratings dip, but I also think with Lebron in the twilight of his career, it opens up the landscape for the next thing. Giannis? Leonard? The Warriors vs. Everyone? Zion? Other franchises saw increases - Toronto was one of them. Giannis's Bucks, too. There are enough things in play that I think a 're-igniting major fan interest' isn't really necessary, because it assumes there's been a "major" decline of fan interest. I don't know that that's the case.

And 2018 playoffs ratings were generally up - the highest since 2012 or 2013, for the most part. And non-Lebron games were pretty major factor.

The Finals cooled for sure - I know I didn't find the Finals all that compelling last year. But the Western Conference finals were ?

The NBA also has done a masterful job with offseason relevancy.

I also think overall sports viewership ratings are part of an NBA ratings discussion, too. The NFL saw a couple of years of stagnation before a bit of a rebound last season, e.g.

I assume ratings will be down from last year and I agree that the best shot for getting a lot of viewers is someone giving the Warriors a real run for their money in the West, a la Houston last year.

And though I'd love to see Toronto in the Finals, I don't think it would be great for ratings in the US.

But if they play the way they did in Game 1, we won't have to worry about that, anyway lol
i like him not being there. we get to see different types of drama instead.

i like him not being there. we get to see different types of drama instead.

I enjoy watching him play, but I didn't see a lot of Lebron this year and I didn't miss it. And when I did catch him, it wasn't all that compelling.

Last year's first couple of rounds had higher ratings than the previous 5 or so years. Interested to see where we are after the first couple of rounds this year.

Portland looks really impressive and this pace could give GS some trouble. Or maybe I'm just hoping... They'd have to get to the Western Conference Finals for that matchup and I don't see GS struggling in the first two rounds. But I'm hoping....

I enjoy watching him play, but I didn't see a lot of Lebron this year and I didn't miss it. And when I did catch him, it wasn't all that compelling.

Last year's first couple of rounds had higher ratings than the previous 5 or so years. Interested to see where we are after the first couple of rounds this year.

Portland looks really impressive and this pace could give GS some trouble. Or maybe I'm just hoping... They'd have to get to the Western Conference Finals for that matchup and I don't see GS struggling in the first two rounds. But I'm hoping....
this year is promising. i love seeing teams in the playoffs we haven’t in a long time. instead, the media narrative is still “lebron.”

this year is promising. i love seeing teams in the playoffs we haven’t in a long time. instead, the media narrative is still “lebron.”

this was the least I've heard his name as related to 'basketball' and I didn't have a problem with it. I enjoy watching him play and never really rooted for or against him (except to beat the Warriors), but it seemed I saw more about his miscues during games than his superhuman feats, which was the case in the past. So the opportunities for someone else to step into that spot is here - hoping to see someone(s) take advantage. Westbrook is electric, but OKC just isn't compelling enough and I don't suspect they are going anywhere playing like this. Need more than numbers.

I was hoping Leonard would step into a more prominent role. Great first quarter. Zero in the second. But he's also not a big personality.

this was the least I've heard his name as related to 'basketball' and I didn't have a problem with it. I enjoy watching him play and never really rooted for or against him (except to beat the Warriors), but it seemed I saw more about his miscues during games than his superhuman feats, which was the case in the past. So the opportunities for someone else to step into that spot is here - hoping to see someone(s) take advantage

I was hoping Leonard would step into a more prominent role. Great first quarter. Zero in the second. But he's also not a big personality.
but leonard is a forking awesome presence.

for lebron, talking playoffs more than reg season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom