NBA Playoffs 2019 (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the minority but I just didn't like the 4th quarter. I like the idea of a target score, but it just turned into a free throw contest. The final half of the 4th was all fouls, players arguing with the refs, and replay reviews. I appreciate that both teams played hard and it wasn't a no defense slamfest, but it was just kind of boring. Not to mention completely anticlimactic with the win coming on a free throw.

You are definitely in the minority. You never see the guys actually compete and play defense in the 4th quarter in an all-star game. It was like a playoff game essentially. I don't think they play that hard in 90 percent of regular season games. As far as the arguing, that was probably a little more than normal because refs aren't going to call technicals or eject anyone in the all-star game. Maybe if this format continues the Refs will get more strict.

As far as game ending on a free throw, tons of games have essentially ended on a free throw with a clock. Give me ending on a free throw over "hack a Shaq" every time. Although, I would not be against playground rules on game-winning point. If you are fouled and your team is within 2 points of target score, no free throws you get the ball and take it out.

Last edited:
I actually tried for a moment. Early in the game albeit. Absolutely no defense so I couldn’t stomach it.

Yea... that's every NBA All Star game. But that 4th quarter... dang. And the pre-game intros and stuff were absolutely incredible.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the minority but I just didn't like the 4th quarter. I like the idea of a target score, but it just turned into a free throw contest. The final half of the 4th was all fouls, players arguing with the refs, and replay reviews. I appreciate that both teams played hard and it wasn't a no defense slamfest, but it was just kind of boring. Not to mention completely anticlimactic with the win coming on a free throw.

To each his own... I *loved* the 4th quarter. It felt like an actual game, with stakes. The fouls and replays and challenges were because the refs and players and coaches were playing as if it was a real game. It felt like the game meant something, even though it really didn't. I think that's quite a coup for an all star game. Any all star game.

And I didn't think it was boring - in fact, I was as glued to the game as much as some playoff games, even though there were no real stakes other than charity donations. I was actually surprised by how enraptured I was by it.

As for the foul... I can see it being anti-climactic.

But when you look at the play, there's nothing else to do. Lowry isn't going to just let AD dunk over him. They got an iso mismatch and keyed in on it. It was a smart offensive play. And Lowry made the *only* defensive play he really could. I think it would have been out of character - for both Lowry and the game, in the way the 4th quarter was being played - if he just let AD have an uncontested lane to the basket.

I actually think that would have been more anticlimactic. The dunk would have been a foregone conclusion.

The free throw at least added some drama vs. an alternative that had no drama.

Personally, I would have liked to see it end on something more dynamic - but given the actual play we got at the end, I'm totally fine with it. It makes sense. It was totally consistent.

For me, the toughest part in that stretch was Team Giannis being unable to score - there were some pretty awful takes. Kemba had a rough quarter. Of course, Team Lebron was playing defense and they were the strongest defensive team of the two so it's not totally unexpected.

ANwyay, yea, I loved it

I thought the ASG was awesome. It wasn't perfect, got a bit sloppy, and the officiating/complaining did get a bit much at the very end.

BUT I will watch the ASG every year if this is basically what we get (and I think those 4th quarters will improve, especially if the officials handle things a bit differently at the end). The players cared, worked, and you could see them using actually strategy and being affected by psychology and pressure. Some players (like Kemba Walker) actually shrunk/disappeared towards the end, and alphas like Harden were passing up open shots. But guys like Harden were also really upping their game and playing defense like they normally do not. It was like some kind of weird NBA playoff game/super competitive pick-up game (with the best players/athletes in the world) hybrid.

I'm not sure what else I could ask for from a contest like the All-Star Game, which will never really mirror a Finals game look/feel (no exhibition/all-star game can).

If you weren’t watching the NBA All Star game, you missed out. Easily the best All Star affair of any sport I’ve seen, thanks to the new rules.

it was incredible

Kawhi Leonard getting the Kobe Bryant MVP award was the icing on the cake. ?

Kawhi loved Kobe for the long talks they had together & the times they were able to practice together. Kawhi’s speech was awesome & he dedicated the award to Kobe.

Dr Dre’s pregame tribute to Kobe was high energy, fun & fantastic!

Oye, the Raptors weren't exactly doing too bad either this season before Covid-19 shut down the NBA's regular season over 3 months ago? In fact, there the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference playoff tournament starting again in Orlando purportedly next month, behind Milwaukee. I think they stand a good chance to repeat as Eastern Conference Champs, edging out Milwaukee even though Giannis has become this nearly-unstoppable monster in the paint on offense and a ferocious defender, and shot blocker.

I could picture Toronto winning the ECF again, but I'm not willing to make any wagers or chances beyond that vs. perspective WC opponent. If it's not the Lakers, if it's some team like Houston or maybe Portland, they have a far better chance of being back-to-back NBA champs.

But in regards to Toronto and its proud, diverse fan base, yeah winning an NBA Title in a almost entirely American-based sports teams and sports league, being a Canadian team makes the win far more historically significant in comparison to let's say a Canadian-based NHL team like the Canadiens, Flames, Canucks, Jets, Maple Leafs winning a Stanley Cup or several. I'm not downplaying the importance or the regional or national pride people or fans in Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto would feel or that significant interest wouldn't come as a result. Seriously, Oye, me and you both know how diehard, and fanatical many Montreal Canadiens fans are and how they feel towards their franchise's historical success. But winning a NBA Title is in a different league because in the context of Raptors, there the only ones from their country that's in the league. It's similar to Toronto Blue Jays winning back-to-back World Series in 1992 and 1993. Those two WS titles, Oye, were the culmination of nearly a decade long run of success for the Blue Jays that dated back to 1985 when they won their first AL East title and played in crumbling, old frigid Exposition Stadium.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom