NC Community Colleges to Accept Illegal Aliens (1 Viewer)

It'll be something to see how this works out. Under current federal law, none of them are eligible for Title IV funding and most reputable scholarship foundations, as well as most private lender providers, require either citizenship or legal residency to receive funding.

laws changes, esp. when you have a party in power pandering to get a lock on as much of the hispanic vote as possible.

Whoa whoa whoa! Who says they speak Spanish? Maybe NC is inundated with illegal Welsh and Czech and Brazilian undocumented guest worker immigrants.:rant:

laws changes, esp. when you have a party in power pandering to get a lock on as much of the hispanic vote as possible.

Already in the works...

NASFAA said:
NASFAA has joined twenty-nine other higher education associations to voice support for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors or "DREAM" Act (S. 729 and H.R. 1751).

The bill would allow undocumented immigrant youth who were brought to the country as children to obtain legal permanent resident status if they remain in school through high school graduation and go on to college or military service. While federal law does not prohibit undocumented students from attending college, these students face major obstacles in admissions, access to in-state tuition and access to financial aid.

http://www.nasfaa.org/publications/2009/andream070609.htm

I'm pretty much in favor of this for certain situations. When the bill was first brought to my attention (as you would guess, I work in higher ed), the scenario we were given involved students who's parents may have entered the country illegally with them in tow as children. They attended school and such and eventually their parents gained legal status. The parents' legal status protects the children during schoolage but expires either at high school graduation or at age 18, at which point, they're not legal, but not illegal either. DHS (through ICE) never really answered how to handle these situations, especially when it can take time for residency applications to be processed. I know the news had a story about one girl (faintly remembering now) who was offered a scholarship, but couldn't receive it because of her status.

This would be a scenario in which I would support the bill.

Already in the works...

http://www.nasfaa.org/publications/2009/andream070609.htm

I'm pretty much in favor of this for certain situations. When the bill was first brought to my attention (as you would guess, I work in higher ed), the scenario we were given involved students who's parents may have entered the country illegally with them in tow as children. They attended school and such and eventually their parents gained legal status. The parents' legal status protects the children during schoolage but expires either at high school graduation or at age 18, at which point, they're not legal, but not illegal either. DHS (through ICE) never really answered how to handle these situations, especially when it can take time for residency applications to be processed. I know the news had a story about one girl (faintly remembering now) who was offered a scholarship, but couldn't receive it because of her status.

This would be a scenario in which I would support the bill.

Primadox had a thread about the 2009 version of the DREAM ACT a few months ago.
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107984&highlight=tuition

It might be of interest to the OP that an NC rep is noted as the most recently added cosponsor of H.R. 1751

Yes...they have to have graduated from a US high school, but the fact remains that they are illegal. Surry County has a 12% unemployment rate and the community college is turning away former blue-collar workers that are trying to enroll and better themselves. I don't think that illegal aliens should get a seat in the classroom...but if the administration sees $7K tuition vs an in-state check for about a grand or two, who do you think probably will get in?

The article said residents take priority so it seems to me your concern may already have been addressed.

For a few years, Texas has had in state tuition and state financial aid for illegal immigrants. And while Texas has far more illegal immigrants than every state except California, we're still talking about a very small number attending college here.

ya know I love ya sabine and we will always disagree on this issue. they should not be getting something that citizens can't. we should take care of our own first.

Perhaps I can weigh in on my own experience. I attended community college for two years before transferring to a university in New York. I went to arguably one of the most populous CCs in Southern California and was able to transfer out in 2 years. In other words, I got all of the classes I needed and did not have to worry too much about classes being filled up already. With that said, the situation in NC could be different, but in my experience CCs have different types of students with different schedules;i.e. part-time and full-time. It may take someone 3-4 years to get an associates or to transfer out. So, what I'm getting at is, how crowded are these schools and are they to the point where one would feel that illegal immigrants would be taking our schooling just like they took our jerbs?<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Yes...they have to have graduated from a US high school, but the fact remains that they are illegal. Surry County has a 12% unemployment rate and the community college is turning away former blue-collar workers that are trying to enroll and better themselves. I don't think that illegal aliens should get a seat in the classroom...but if the administration sees $7K tuition vs an in-state check for about a grand or two, who do you think probably will get in?

It is BS. I hate that this state was so stupid to elect our officials. The straight-ticket should be eliminated.

I bought my house 10 years ago and I was holding onto it because of development across the highway and then moving to South Carolina (plan b if things didn't work out with me moving to Biloxi). I'd rather have a state governor who was effective regardless of his marital issues (and I give props to his soon-to-be-ex for walking).

though on the surface it seems wrong that illegals should be allowed to attend community college, i think this is a situation where i'd support it, with one significant stipulation.

a college education is a purchased product. No one has a right to one. It doesn't really matter where your from, if your willing to buy a product it doesn't really matter what your legal status is. Colleges are not charged with determining the legal status of students and i really see no difference between paying tuition and buying a cheeseburger.

However, if you are illegal, you should not recieve any state or federal financial aid for tuition. Thoose types of benefits should be reserved for citizens.

So are you okay with someone in your family or friend being denied entry into a CC because an illegal is enrolled? Right now, there is a record number of people going to CCs to learn something new or get a degree because of the economy. You're okay with denying US citizens the opportunity to better themselves so that illegals can attend college here? No thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom