NCAA: "Bounties"(vent thread) (1 Viewer)

EagleSaint

Very Banned
Reaction score
This is sort of a vent thread, but I got ticked off by something during the USM-UL Lafayette game.

One of our top receivers, Allenzae Staggers, was killing the Cajuns before the half, and after halftime a reporter who was inside the halftime meeting of the Cajuns, said the coach proclaimed "15[Staggers] is killing us".

3 plays out of the half, Staggers is high-lowed and targeting foul was called resulting in the ejection of a UL Lafayette player. He was smiling as he was ejected.

Crap like that ticks me off. Especially when the Saints were docked with heavy penalties for practically the same thing, and this isn't even looked into.

College football is getting worse than the NFL. I'm watching Memphis/Western Kentucky and a LBer was ejected for targeting when it was neither targeting nor anything warranting an ejection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This is sort of a vent thread, but I got ticked off by something during the USM-UL Lafayette game.

One of our top receivers, Allenzae Staggers, was killing the Cajuns before the half, and after halftime a reporter who was inside the halftime meeting of the Cajuns, said the coach proclaimed "15[Staggers] is killing us".

3 plays out of the half, Staggers is high-lowed and targeting foul was called resulting in the ejection of a UL Lafayette player. He was smiling as he was ejected.

Crap like that ticks me off. Especially when the Saints were docked with heavy penalties for practically the same thing, and this isn't even looked into.

"Then, on the third play of the second half, Cajuns strong safety Tracy Walker was hit with a questionable targeting call on Staggers that gave USM a first down at the UL-Lafayette 44. That call was also upheld on replay, even though Walker appeared to strike Staggers with his chest and arms instead of his headgear."
New Orleans Bowl notebook: Southern Miss pass rush disrupts Cajuns' passing game | UL-Lafayette | theadvocate.com

"THE TARGETING CALL–I can bring up a half dozen calls that I thought were missed, but the targeting call on Tracy Walker was just brutal."
Read More: Rewind: The New Orleans Bowl - From the Bird's Nest | Rewind: The New Orleans Bowl - From the Bird's Nest
(Granted, this is from the hometown radio announcer).

And if the ref doesn't look up at the big screen (not an instant replay) and throw the flag a minute after the play ended, Walker would still have been in the game.

Dude, y'all had six (6) personal fouls and/or unsportsmanlike conducts. I think Jennings, McGuire, etal., showed GREAT restraint in not retaliating throughout the game and getting caught throwing the second punch. And there could have been more.

We've always enjoyed a relationship with USM whether its football, basketball (mens and womens), baseball, and softball, but the USM player behavior throughout the game left us shaking our heads. Whether it was us in the stands or folks at home, people were really disappointed in the USM extra-curricular behavior.

Make no mistake, we think Mullens will play on Sunday (if he's healthy, y'all aint going 6-6). Staggers and Smith as well. Y'all had great athleticism on the defensive line.

But we were disappointed with the USM player behavior.

That targeting call was questionable at best. I've seen much, much worse hits not called...looking at you Bama. The helmet wasn't lowered at all. The halftime comment was innocuous and pretty benign as far as a coach's comments would go.

And, high-lowed is when a player gets hit both up top and in the legs at the same time. Walker was the only player who hit Staggers. I thought he was smiling cuz he knew the call was laughable. And he would be right. It was an awful call. He never lowered his helmet and the hit wasn't half as hard as many uncalled hits.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Cajuns punt that was fumbled and ULL recovered, yet it was ruled they touched the ball before the USM player did. The only problem with that is ULL didn't touch the ball. It was close, but there was no clear evidence no one touched the ball. I thought that should have been ULL ball. Also, the end of the first half when the officials waited after 2 timeouts to review a play that should have been reviewed right after the play occurred. The officiating was really bad at times in this game.

Last edited:
"Then, on the third play of the second half, Cajuns strong safety Tracy Walker was hit with a questionable targeting call on Staggers that gave USM a first down at the UL-Lafayette 44. That call was also upheld on replay, even though Walker appeared to strike Staggers with his chest and arms instead of his headgear."
New Orleans Bowl notebook: Southern Miss pass rush disrupts Cajuns' passing game | UL-Lafayette | theadvocate.com

"THE TARGETING CALL–I can bring up a half dozen calls that I thought were missed, but the targeting call on Tracy Walker was just brutal."
Read More: Rewind: The New Orleans Bowl - From the Bird's Nest | Rewind: The New Orleans Bowl - From the Bird's Nest
(Granted, this is from the hometown radio announcer).

And if the ref doesn't look up at the big screen (not an instant replay) and throw the flag a minute after the play ended, Walker would still have been in the game.

Dude, y'all had six (6) personal fouls and/or unsportsmanlike conducts. I think Jennings, McGuire, etal., showed GREAT restraint in not retaliating throughout the game and getting caught throwing the second punch. And there could have been more.

We've always enjoyed a relationship with USM whether its football, basketball (mens and womens), baseball, and softball, but the USM player behavior throughout the game left us shaking our heads. Whether it was us in the stands or folks at home, people were really disappointed in the USM extra-curricular behavior.

Make no mistake, we think Mullens will play on Sunday (if he's healthy, y'all aint going 6-6). Staggers and Smith as well. Y'all had great athleticism on the defensive line.

But we were disappointed with the USM player behavior.

Im happy how physical we were this game. I've seen some of the worst football out of USM I have ever seen at points this year(I.e. UTSA game and Troy game, I mean trying to arm tackle a 250lb RB, give me a break).

I'm happy they were as physical as they were and actually played with some passion.

Im happy how physical we were this game. I've seen some of the worst football out of USM I have ever seen at points this year(I.e. UTSA game and Troy game, I mean trying to arm tackle a 250lb RB, give me a break).

I'm happy they were as physical as they were and actually played with some passion.

The defensive line certainly played lights out. But, Cajuns OL looked about as unprepared as LSU's was when they got embarrassed by Bama in the NCCG a few years ago.

USM: 6 personal fouls/unsportsmanlike conduct calls = passion

Louisiana: 1 questionable targeting call = bounty program

Roger, is that you?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom