NCAA teams are struggling with Covid outbreaks. How does that affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
30 LSU players in QT just recently and they are one of the most advanced and cautious teams in sports medicine and protocol.

Then, you have teams like UT, Bama, Clemson, and etc.

I know NFL is gonna wait till the last second to make any decisions, but what is a team going to do if 30 players are on QT at the start of the season. Do they just forfeit the game?

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, the states that the largest upticks are places where they rushed to reopen: Florida, Texas, Arizona, S. Carolina, Montana, Wyoming. In other words, there is no correlation to civil disobedience.
Ummm. Mississippi was one of the last to close and first to reopen. Explain that one with your logic please.

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ummm. Mississippi was one of the last to close and first to reopen. Explain that one with your logic please.
And of course re opening will cause a spike. Who is so ignorant to think otherwise.? The whole point was to just slow it down to prevent hospitals from being overrun. If hospitals are overrun now, it’s due to to them having to fire and lay off so many people recently. My family runs hospitals so don’t accuse me of reading right wing headlines.

OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And of course re opening will cause a spike. Who is so ignorant to think otherwise.? The whole point was to just slow it down to prevent hospitals from being overrun. If hospitals are overrun now, it’s due to to them having to fire and lay off so many people recently. My family runs hospitals so don’t accuse me of reading right wing headlines.
You know you qouted yourself right? You can edit your post.

OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So people in Mississippi don’t matter. Point taken.
400,000 people live within 30 minutes of me...
I'm from the Gulf Coast, fam. The population density just isn't there. That's why Mississippi isn't going super crazy. Cool your jets, grandpa.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean Alabama where they are running out of ICU beds now?

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I guess a global pandemic was conveniently started to disrupt our election but not the ones around the rest of the world, and 120, 000+ deaths is all a political move.

All one has to do is take a look at Brazil, They followed our blue print. Instead of treating it as a medical crisis. It became a political
war. Who would have thought ignoring the advice of medical experts would lead to this?

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
No way do we have football this year, college, pro, high school, you name it.

The chance of spreading the virus back home to player’s families, along with spreading it to coaches that are in the high risk realm, the season will be done before it even starts.

My prediction is, the season will be cancelled, after the first pre-season game, when so many teams will have players in quarantine.
Spot-on^ These are extraordinary times and there is so much unknown. I tend to think the colleges will cancel the season before the pros out of protection for the kids in their schools. From what I am reading on the latest updates, the virus seems to impact the lungs, even in asymptomatic people, where the damage is partially lasting. If this is true, then they have a responsibility to those college kids. And like the OP pointed out, some college teams have up to 30 players with the virus. How would they conduct a game?

And as you pointed out, it's not just the damage to the kids, but the risk of spreading to their friends and family

edit: If the colleges cancel, I wonder how that will impact the number of players who come out for the draft next year and how will teams evaluate players who have not played in over a year?

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
This is all about greed and the college players are about to suffer the most. Any time you want players to sign a waiver to play, it's not a good sign.
Hey DC - I haven't heard that yet about the college kids having to sign a waiver. If the colleges go that route, that is very scary to me for those kids welfare.

But college football is a massive moneymaker for universities. Last time I went to a UT game about a decade ago, my friend had great 30-yard-line, row 20-something seats. The official ticket price was like $75, but there was some little wording about the annual rights fee. My friend told me that was $300 per game. So $375 for 30-yard line seats is about the same as pro football.

The revenue loss to the universities would be huge if they cancel the season and we all know greed is powerful to many leaders. If the average "All-in" price of a UT ticket is $200, UT would lose $20 million per game plus what they make from concessions, apparel and parking making 1-year loss of over $150 million, probably closer to $200 million. That's a huge amount of revenue colleges would have to make-up somehow.

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
No way do we have football this year, college, pro, high school, you name it.

The chance of spreading the virus back home to player’s families, along with spreading it to coaches that are in the high risk realm, the season will be done before it even starts.

My prediction is, the season will be cancelled, after the first pre-season game, when so many teams will have players in quarantine.
We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen

Attachments

OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey DC - I haven't heard that yet about the college kids having to sign a waiver. If the colleges go that route, that is very scary to me for those kids welfare.

But college football is a massive moneymaker for universities. Last time I went to a UT game about a decade ago, my friend had great 30-yard-line, row 20-something seats. The official ticket price was like $75, but there was some little wording about the annual rights fee. My friend told me that was $300 per game. So $375 for 30-yard line seats is about the same as pro football.

The revenue loss to the universities would be huge if they cancel the season and we all know greed is powerful to many leaders. If the average "All-in" price of a UT ticket is $200, UT would lose $20 million per game plus what they make from concessions, apparel and parking making 1-year loss of over $150 million, probably closer to $200 million. That's a huge amount of revenue colleges would have to make-up somehow.
And if you don't play. You lose your scholarship is what I'm hearing. For a NFL prospect in their junior year... that's probably a non-issue. Everyone else is screwed.

OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen
I don't think anyone arguing that it won't happen sometime this year. We do think there will be some speedbumps and restructuring. NFLPA is the only stopping force for the NFL. The only thing stopping the NCAA is probably media scrutiny.

As quickly the NCAA was willing to dump basketball and baseball, but beating around the bush about football shows where their prioritize lies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom