NCAA teams are struggling with Covid outbreaks. How does that affect the NFL? (4 Viewers)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
30 LSU players in QT just recently and they are one of the most advanced and cautious teams in sports medicine and protocol.

Then, you have teams like UT, Bama, Clemson, and etc.

I know NFL is gonna wait till the last second to make any decisions, but what is a team going to do if 30 players are on QT at the start of the season. Do they just forfeit the game?

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is time we face the reality that we are going to start the year 8-0, absolutely blowing the socks off of our opponents and looking like one of the all-time great teams, all for the season to end prematurely.

OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is time we face the reality that we are going to start the year 8-0, absolutely blowing the socks off of our opponents and looking like one of the all-time great teams, all for the season to end prematurely.
I can see that.

We start the season 8-0 and everyone else is 5-3. NFL be like... "Yeahhhh... We are just gonna cancel the season."

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen
Yeah, I'm going to need you to be correct about this, or I will come back later and revoke my upvote.... And none of us want that 😂

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Ummm. Mississippi was one of the last to close and first to reopen. Explain that one with your logic please.
There are always exceptions to just about any stats. Pulling out a single state when 27 others are showing increases is a very weak proof point. And our scientists do not understand a lot about this virus which is already mutating. So maybe there is something unique about Mississippi.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
And of course re opening will cause a spike. Who is so ignorant to think otherwise.? The whole point was to just slow it down to prevent hospitals from being overrun. If hospitals are overrun now, it’s due to to them having to fire and lay off so many people recently. My family runs hospitals so don’t accuse me of reading right wing headlines.
While your family may run hospitals, they have not laid off staff of Dr’s. and nurses, far from it. They have laid off non essential staff, such as marketing, HR and other behind the scenes employees, that have ZERO to do with patient care.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
There are always exceptions to just about any stats. Pulling out a single state when 27 others are showing increases is a very weak proof point. And our scientists do not understand a lot about this virus which is already mutating. So maybe there is something unique about Mississippi.
They know a whole lot more today and each passing day, though. As an example, they know that administering steroids early on, helps mitigate the need for a ventilator in many cases, which is HUGE! But there are some obvious issues with administering steroids to some patients. And it is definitely an advantage they have learned. It also helps with the amount of time a patient has to be on a ventilator and time spent in the ICU.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think anyone arguing that it won't happen sometime this year. We do think there will be some speedbumps and restructuring. NFLPA is the only stopping force for the NFL. The only thing stopping the NCAA is probably media scrutiny.

As quickly the NCAA was willing to dump basketball and baseball, but beating around the bush about football shows where their prioritize lies.
Mostly because they have had time to set protocol in place and from what has been learned about the virus and how it can be treated with current drugs...etc. It just so happened, from purely a timing standpoint, as an advantage for football. Had it unfolded during football season, then baseball, track and other spring sports would have had the advantage. It has nothing to do with “beating around the bush”, with football.

All said, at the end of the day, there will be an outbreak in college football, before there would be one in pro football. Why? Because most 18-20 year olds are immature to understand strict guidelines and policy. They are free from home and are adventurous, if you know what I mean. Case in point with the 30 LSU football players and it was during the summer; not even during a full semester of students!!!!

Football will start, both college and pro. But I am saying it over and over. Football will be short lived. 4-6 weeks. The NFL is already reviewing their summer camp start date and pre-season schedule. The crawfishing is just beginning. I also think, what the NBA is doing, is going to show the NFL a lot, as well as college football. If the NBA model falls apart with an outbreak and with what they are doing (herd approach), you can bet all your money on the NFL stepping back BIG time. We will see in the next 30 days as the NBA moves forward.

Last edited:

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mostly because they have had time to set protocol in place and from what has been learned about the virus and how it can be treated with current drugs...etc. It just so happened, from purely a timing standpoint, as an advantage for football. Had it unfolded during football season, then baseball, track and other spring sports would have had the advantage. It has nothing to do with “beating around the bush”, with football.

All said, at the end of the day, there will be an outbreak in college football, before there would be one in pro football. Why? Because most 18-20 year olds are immature to understand strict guidelines and policy. They are free from home and are adventurous, if you know what I mean. Case in point with the 30 LSU football players and it was during the summer; not even during a full semester of students!!!!

Football will start, both college and pro. But I am saying it over and over. Football will be short lived. 4-6 weeks. The NFL is already reviewing their summer camp start date and pre-season schedule. The crawfishing is just beginning. I also think, what the NBA is doing, is going to show the NFL a lot, as well as college football. If the NBA model falls apart with an outbreak and with what they are doing (herd approach), you can bet all your money on the NFL stepping back BIG time. We will see in the next 30 days as the NBA moves forward.
I really think it may be like the strike year. I forgot what year but they only had about 9 games that season.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen
Let’s wager on a full season.

Here is the proposition.
I will say a max of 0-7 regular season games played for all NFL teams, I win.
8-11 games, neutral.
12-16 games played and playoffs, thru the Superbowl, you win.

You in, or not?

Last edited:

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Let’s wager on a full season.

Here is the proposition.
I will say a max of 0-7 regular season games played for all NFL teams, I win.
8-11 games, neutral.
12-16 games played and playoffs, thru the Superbowl, you win.

You in, or not?
That’s the most ignorant wager I’ve seen in awhile. So...no...try that mess with someone else that doesn’t wager or gamble half the year for 15+ years lol.

First, it’s the reason I’ve said 100 times on here and other places that I GUARANTEE the NFL will start the season, now whether they finish it or not is yet to be seen.

But yes, it’s 100% fact they’re going to do everything in the power of the league to have the season. Too much money involved and money always wins....

sorry, that’s facts

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to need you to be correct about this, or I will come back later and revoke my upvote.... And none of us want that 😂
Its 100% that they’ll start. 0% chance they don’t at least try. Even if it’s 1 practice lol. I can’t guarantee anything more than that. Lol

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can see that.

We start the season 8-0 and everyone else is 5-3. NFL be like... "Yeahhhh... We are just gonna cancel the season."
NFL: 20/21 is cancelled
Saints fans: ...but they found a cure and vaccines are free for everyone
NFL: nah, too risky
Saints fans: ... but the world has reconciled in unprecedented ways and there is no political strife to speak of
NFL: ...out of an abundance of caution...
Saints fans: ...but the discovery or limitless energy and self-sustaining food supplies
NFL: Look! Do we have to spell it out for you?

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Well I guess we should just tell everyone see ya next year. The world has got to move on. This is a virus that will most likely always be here. What good is a vaccine if 100% don’t take it? Look at the percentage of people that take a flu vaccine each year. You can’t force a vaccine on people by law. If your in the high risk group, don’t go. If not, wear a mask or not, but go. We can’t all hold our heads under blankets and ask someone to tell us when the boogeyman goes away.
Good point, ohh and the effectiveness of the flue vaccine has been going down every year. Last my doc told me it was 65% effective. I have come to side with many early doctors in the US who said that staying inside is worse, that we should get it to build up the immunity against it.

Either way we are nation of ppl who wont be told what to do for long, and they will get out and get it eventually. I just say protect the elderly (which Gov Coumo didnt do) and ride it out. Afterall is there really any other choice?

Yeah, I dont see any football this year.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
That’s the most ignorant wager I’ve seen in awhile. So...no...try that mess with someone else that doesn’t wager or gamble half the year for 15+ years lol.

First, it’s the reason I’ve said 100 times on here and other places that I GUARANTEE the NFL will start the season, now whether they finish it or not is yet to be seen.

But yes, it’s 100% fact they’re going to do everything in the power of the league to have the season. Too much money involved and money always wins....

sorry, that’s facts
They will of course, by all means try to start the season. But my interpretation of your post, GUARANTEEING THERE WILL BE FOOTBALL, a new born could have predicted as much.

And I am saying, there will be no football, in the sense of a complete season. That is to be clear. If you want to quantify; guaranteed football, on a partial season, that is dumb!

As far as betting goes. 15 years of betting, for a half a year, is like being a child. Try 45 years of wagering on horses, baseball, football, basketball, you name it, then come talk to me. Be that as it may, I offered you a chance to gamble, and you chose not to. I was willing to gamble on a proposition that I proposed that you did not like. How about making one up and let’s see what you can come up with!

And by the way, my proposition is no different then wagering on any type of over/under bet. And do not tell me, you have not wagered on same, or similar props., IF your claim of 15 years of half year wagering is the truth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Headlines

Top Bottom