NCAA teams are struggling with Covid outbreaks. How does that affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Yea I don’t think there will be a season too many people involved

though testing positive is often not a big deal

Wearing a mask does not prevent ANYONE from getting the virus. High risk group, or not. It helps prevent the spread of the virus.
Well aware of that. I’ve been a registered nurse for 11 years now.

Aren't we in crowd immunity stages now? Getting it is a matter of time. The sooner the better as far as a season is concerned.
Heard immunity doesn't become viable till 60-70% of population is infected. Also, there is no data that beating Covid gives you true immunity longer than a few months at best.

Aren't we in crowd immunity stages now? Getting it is a matter of time. The sooner the better as far as a season is concerned.
Not even close. You’d need around half the population to have been infected to really start seeing the beginning effects of crowd immunity. Even if we assume the official numbers miss 10x as many low symptom or asymptomatic carriers, that’s still only around 20 million in America and less than 6% of the population.

There’s a reason basically the only way we have managed crowd immunity as a species in the modern era is a vaccine.

Plus, we really don’t know how long a person remains immune for.

I also just don’t understand this rush to herd immunity mindset, why would you want people infected sooner rather than later? Later as in we have developed more streamlined treatment and have better capacity and capabilities to take care of new infected?

Not even close. You’d need around half the population to have been infected to really start seeing the beginning effects of crowd immunity. Even if we assume the official numbers miss 10x as many low symptom or asymptomatic carriers, that’s still only around 20 million in America and less than 6% of the population.

There’s a reason basically the only way we have managed crowd immunity as a species in the modern era is a vaccine.

I also just don’t understand this rush to herd immunity mindset, why would you want people infected sooner rather than later? Later as in we have developed more streamlined treatment and have better capacity and capabilities to take care of new infected?

Some LSU fans where talking like this with kids like they are cattle is disgusting and selfish.

Wrong, it does not SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your risk.

“At this time, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved any type of surgical mask specifically for protection against the coronavirus, but these masks may provide SOME protection“

It helps, as long as people follow the other guidelines, of washing hands, not touching your face (mouth,nose, eyes). Simply by wearing a mask, does not SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your risk.

Nice try buddy.
If the masks do not help out, why are all of the doctors and nurses in hospitals scrambling to find more of them??

Why did the government LIE to us in the beginning and tell us that masks weren't effective? Oh, that was so they could get them to the health care workers and not cause a panic spree like toilet paper.

Speaking on TheStreet, Fauci discusses how effective face masks are at preventing COVID-19 infection and why they weren’t recommended from the start. "Masks are not 100 percent protective. However, they certainly are better than not wearing a mask. Both to prevent you, if you happen to be a person who maybe feels well, but has an asymptomatic infection that you don't even know about, to prevent you from infecting someone else," Fauci said.

"But also, it can protect you a certain degree, not a hundred percent, in protecting you from getting infected from someone who, either is breathing, or coughing, or sneezing, or singing or whatever it is in which the droplets or the aerosols go out. So masks work,” Fauci added.

“The important thing is actually physical separation,” Fauci said, adding that the combination of social distancing and face masks is the best way for the public to mitigate the spread and reduce transmission while maintaining some normalcy by venturing in public.
I will take a certain degree of protection over no degree of protection.

If Event 201 is at all correct (which it almost has been so far), then no. It's not even close. This pandemic is uncharted water in modern society, scientists are still basically chickens running around with their heads cut off.
The scenario ends at the 18-month point, with 65 million deaths. The pandemic is beginning to slow due to the decreasing number of susceptible people. The pandemic will continue at some rate until there is an effective vaccine or until 80-90% of the global population has been exposed. From that point on, it is likely to be an endemic childhood disease.

Unfortunately I just don’t see anyway we can have football this year.
That would be correct.

The chance of any football is nearing 0%.

If you aren't going to put these teams in a bubble, you have no shot at preventing mass infections.

Herd immunity is considered 60-70% of the population getting it.

Our numbers are 2.2 milion. It's probably 10 times that, so roughly 25 million Americans have been exposed to it.

We need to get to about 200 million. So we are only 10-15% of the way there.

Add to the issues that the disease has mutated and now they need to come up with several vaccines.

This is why I believe a vaccine will never be effective. The Flu mutates once a year. Corona viruses can mutate up to 8 times a year.

I've been really, REALLY wanting something good to come from 2020 and some Saints football in a world without a pandemic would be incredible...

Having said that, it becomes more and more apparent that we aren't going to cycle this down. The US has decided to give up on containing the outbreaks, so we'll have to deal with the collateral. Part of that is COVID-19 on a steady ascent with the grim possibility that it spikes from that ascent with a vengeance come cool-weather time.

I was on the fence about the NFL being played this year -- thinking maybe with extreme testing, no fans, etc. But there's just too much risk. I love football, but I much more appreciate the lives of actual human beings. If playing this season threatens potentially all clubs in the NFL with an avoidable outbreak, i'm in the camp of don't play. And I don't think we should, honestly. It sucks but sometimes we have to make hard decisions.

I didn't mean we are there but that's the end goal now. Just being mindful we don't get another peak outbreak. Other than a true cure or vaccine anyway.

Treating a healthy 20-30 year old is pretty straightforward. So yeah I think getting it now would be better than mid-season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom