NCAA teams are struggling with Covid outbreaks. How does that affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

This is all about greed and the college players are about to suffer the most. Any time you want players to sign a waiver to play, it's not a good sign.

Hey DC - I haven't heard that yet about the college kids having to sign a waiver. If the colleges go that route, that is very scary to me for those kids welfare.

But college football is a massive moneymaker for universities. Last time I went to a UT game about a decade ago, my friend had great 30-yard-line, row 20-something seats. The official ticket price was like $75, but there was some little wording about the annual rights fee. My friend told me that was $300 per game. So $375 for 30-yard line seats is about the same as pro football.

The revenue loss to the universities would be huge if they cancel the season and we all know greed is powerful to many leaders. If the average "All-in" price of a UT ticket is $200, UT would lose $20 million per game plus what they make from concessions, apparel and parking making 1-year loss of over $150 million, probably closer to $200 million. That's a huge amount of revenue colleges would have to make-up somehow.

No way do we have football this year, college, pro, high school, you name it.

The chance of spreading the virus back home to player’s families, along with spreading it to coaches that are in the high risk realm, the season will be done before it even starts.

My prediction is, the season will be cancelled, after the first pre-season game, when so many teams will have players in quarantine.

We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen

Attachments

• 90A9DE3C-4A82-4134-BEC6-4D0FF58374DB.jpeg
    90A9DE3C-4A82-4134-BEC6-4D0FF58374DB.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 19
Hey DC - I haven't heard that yet about the college kids having to sign a waiver. If the colleges go that route, that is very scary to me for those kids welfare.

But college football is a massive moneymaker for universities. Last time I went to a UT game about a decade ago, my friend had great 30-yard-line, row 20-something seats. The official ticket price was like $75, but there was some little wording about the annual rights fee. My friend told me that was $300 per game. So $375 for 30-yard line seats is about the same as pro football.

The revenue loss to the universities would be huge if they cancel the season and we all know greed is powerful to many leaders. If the average "All-in" price of a UT ticket is $200, UT would lose $20 million per game plus what they make from concessions, apparel and parking making 1-year loss of over $150 million, probably closer to $200 million. That's a huge amount of revenue colleges would have to make-up somehow.
And if you don't play. You lose your scholarship is what I'm hearing. For a NFL prospect in their junior year... that's probably a non-issue. Everyone else is screwed.

We are certainly having football this year. Guaranteed it happens. Too much money involved. They’ll make it happen
I don't think anyone arguing that it won't happen sometime this year. We do think there will be some speedbumps and restructuring. NFLPA is the only stopping force for the NFL. The only thing stopping the NCAA is probably media scrutiny.

As quickly the NCAA was willing to dump basketball and baseball, but beating around the bush about football shows where their prioritize lies.

It is time we face the reality that we are going to start the year 8-0, absolutely blowing the socks off of our opponents and looking like one of the all-time great teams, all for the season to end prematurely.

It is time we face the reality that we are going to start the year 8-0, absolutely blowing the socks off of our opponents and looking like one of the all-time great teams, all for the season to end prematurely.
I can see that.

We start the season 8-0 and everyone else is 5-3. NFL be like... "Yeahhhh... We are just gonna cancel the season."

Yeah, I'm going to need you to be correct about this, or I will come back later and revoke my upvote.... And none of us want that 😂

Ummm. Mississippi was one of the last to close and first to reopen. Explain that one with your logic please.

There are always exceptions to just about any stats. Pulling out a single state when 27 others are showing increases is a very weak proof point. And our scientists do not understand a lot about this virus which is already mutating. So maybe there is something unique about Mississippi.

And of course re opening will cause a spike. Who is so ignorant to think otherwise.? The whole point was to just slow it down to prevent hospitals from being overrun. If hospitals are overrun now, it’s due to to them having to fire and lay off so many people recently. My family runs hospitals so don’t accuse me of reading right wing headlines.
While your family may run hospitals, they have not laid off staff of Dr’s. and nurses, far from it. They have laid off non essential staff, such as marketing, HR and other behind the scenes employees, that have ZERO to do with patient care.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
There are always exceptions to just about any stats. Pulling out a single state when 27 others are showing increases is a very weak proof point. And our scientists do not understand a lot about this virus which is already mutating. So maybe there is something unique about Mississippi.
They know a whole lot more today and each passing day, though. As an example, they know that administering steroids early on, helps mitigate the need for a ventilator in many cases, which is HUGE! But there are some obvious issues with administering steroids to some patients. And it is definitely an advantage they have learned. It also helps with the amount of time a patient has to be on a ventilator and time spent in the ICU.

I don't think anyone arguing that it won't happen sometime this year. We do think there will be some speedbumps and restructuring. NFLPA is the only stopping force for the NFL. The only thing stopping the NCAA is probably media scrutiny.

As quickly the NCAA was willing to dump basketball and baseball, but beating around the bush about football shows where their prioritize lies.
Mostly because they have had time to set protocol in place and from what has been learned about the virus and how it can be treated with current drugs...etc. It just so happened, from purely a timing standpoint, as an advantage for football. Had it unfolded during football season, then baseball, track and other spring sports would have had the advantage. It has nothing to do with “beating around the bush”, with football.

All said, at the end of the day, there will be an outbreak in college football, before there would be one in pro football. Why? Because most 18-20 year olds are immature to understand strict guidelines and policy. They are free from home and are adventurous, if you know what I mean. Case in point with the 30 LSU football players and it was during the summer; not even during a full semester of students!!!!

Football will start, both college and pro. But I am saying it over and over. Football will be short lived. 4-6 weeks. The NFL is already reviewing their summer camp start date and pre-season schedule. The crawfishing is just beginning. I also think, what the NBA is doing, is going to show the NFL a lot, as well as college football. If the NBA model falls apart with an outbreak and with what they are doing (herd approach), you can bet all your money on the NFL stepping back BIG time. We will see in the next 30 days as the NBA moves forward.

Last edited:
Mostly because they have had time to set protocol in place and from what has been learned about the virus and how it can be treated with current drugs...etc. It just so happened, from purely a timing standpoint, as an advantage for football. Had it unfolded during football season, then baseball, track and other spring sports would have had the advantage. It has nothing to do with “beating around the bush”, with football.

All said, at the end of the day, there will be an outbreak in college football, before there would be one in pro football. Why? Because most 18-20 year olds are immature to understand strict guidelines and policy. They are free from home and are adventurous, if you know what I mean. Case in point with the 30 LSU football players and it was during the summer; not even during a full semester of students!!!!

Football will start, both college and pro. But I am saying it over and over. Football will be short lived. 4-6 weeks. The NFL is already reviewing their summer camp start date and pre-season schedule. The crawfishing is just beginning. I also think, what the NBA is doing, is going to show the NFL a lot, as well as college football. If the NBA model falls apart with an outbreak and with what they are doing (herd approach), you can bet all your money on the NFL stepping back BIG time. We will see in the next 30 days as the NBA moves forward.
I really think it may be like the strike year. I forgot what year but they only had about 9 games that season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom