NCAA Transfer Portal (1 Viewer)

What to do with the transfer portal?

• Total voters
I agree, but I still think we can control it somewhat by putting restrictions on the Transfer Portal.
Hopefully that will happen. Otherwise that would become the ultimate 'free agency' for college players looking to go to the highest bidder.

Yes, there can be no "salary cap", but there can be restrictions on how much a student-athlete is allowed to earn from NIL. And there should a paper trail showing how much was offered, and how much was paid. But of course, other "deals" will happen like they always have previously. But at least the NIL deal can be managed to try and make the landscape more competitive for all programs.

As for the Transfer Portal, maybe have a date where student-athletes can put their names in where they won't have to sit a year. And make that date the day after the CFP championship game. Put a date on this time period of maybe 2, 3, 4 weeks later. If a student-athlete wants to enter after that, they sit a year.

Yes, there can be no "salary cap", but there can be restrictions on how much a student-athlete is allowed to earn from NIL. And there should a paper trail showing how much was offered, and how much was paid. But of course, other "deals" will happen like they always have previously. But at least the NIL deal can be managed to try and make the landscape more competitive for all programs.

As for the Transfer Portal, maybe have a date where student-athletes can put their names in where they won't have to sit a year. And make that date the day after the CFP championship game. Put a date on this time period of maybe 2, 3, 4 weeks later. If a student-athlete wants to enter after that, they sit a year.
I agree with everything you said and I would add that any overpayments/under the table payments result in very harsh penalties, such as the school involved losing ten scholarships and all games the player played in are forfeited. The player involved losing all eligibility. Second occurrence on the part of the school results in the death penalty for five years.

If I, as a theatre major on full scholarship, decide to leave one university and go to another because the opportunities for leading roles are stronger, I can do it with no penalty. I can even get a scholarship to the new place. And if I don't like it there? I can go somewhere else. Why shouldn't an athlete have the same opportunities?

If I, as a theatre major on full scholarship, decide to leave one university and go to another because the opportunities for leading roles are stronger, I can do it with no penalty. I can even get a scholarship to the new place. And if I don't like it there? I can go somewhere else. Why shouldn't an athlete have the same opportunities?
Because the Theatre Troupe doesn't bring in tens of millions of dollars of revenue each year. It's actually just the opposite.

How much NIL money will another university tempt a theater major with to convince them to jump ship? :scratch:

Ok, with NIL, what is to keep the language of say a 1mil deal from being:
-Exclusive rights to players NIL for 4 years
-1mil paid up front, earned in 4 250k/yr installments
-Player must be available at studio at a specific location (in say some college town somewhere), x times in the fall to earn the installments and any unearned installments must be paid back.

My current employer does signing bonuses that are earned, pro-rated over the year. If i leave the employer, or am terminated, i owe back the unearned portion. They unofficially call it "golden handcuffs".

The player actually has a disincintive to transfer now, a "buyout" if you will...

Ok, with NIL, what is to keep the language of say a 1mil deal from being:
-Exclusive rights to players NIL for 4 years
-1mil paid up front, earned in 4 250k/yr installments
-Player must be available at studio at a specific location (in say some college town somewhere), x times in the fall to earn the installments and any unearned installments must be paid back.

My current employer does signing bonuses that are earned, pro-rated over the year. If i leave the employer, or am terminated, i owe back the unearned portion. They unofficially call it "golden handcuffs".

The player actually has a disincintive to transfer now, a "buyout" if you will...
While I think the NIL is part of the problem, the Transfer Portal is a bigger issue, i.e. NIL = drug, TP = dealer. I don't know how to fix it, but the Portal needs to be tweaked sooner rather than later.

Don't get
If the college has a football team that plays in the NCAA, the Theatre Dept reaps the benefits of the revenue that the team brings in. If your school is an arts only college, then no.
Dont get caught up on the major. Pick any major. Any other kid can switch colleges on a whim, football players should be afforded the same thing.

Don't get
Dont get caught up on the major. Pick any major. Any other kid can switch colleges on a whim, football players should be afforded the same thing.
That's my point. If you had Albert Einstein wanting to transfer to another school, it wouldn't impact said school like a 5 star starting QB would. The revenue loss is not comparable. And it's not just the school's revenue. It's the entire conference's revenue that is affected, not to mention ESPN ratings and whatever TV deals that are in place. You have to have a tighter control over the sports programs than the academic programs when it comes to transfers. The Arts Dept doesn't give money to the football team for equipment, it's quite the opposite.

That's my point. If you had Albert Einstein wanting to transfer to another school, it wouldn't impact said school like a 5 star starting QB would. The revenue loss is not comparable. And it's not just the school's revenue. It's the entire conference's revenue that is affected, not to mention ESPN ratings and whatever TV deals that are in place. You have to have a tighter control over the sports programs than the academic programs when it comes to transfers. The Arts Dept doesn't give money to the football team for equipment, it's quite the opposite.
It is comparable, the school does not OWN Albert Einstein, they do not OWN the theatre major, and they do not OWN the student athlete.

The school also can(and they often do) end their "committment" to any of the three above, just as those three are FREE to go elsewhere if they please.

The economic impact of a students free choice is not really a determining factor in their right to the choice.

NIL deals could make transferring prohibitive if the contract language is structered to do so, and if the player contracts their rights for a term, that is a binding deal.

However, it is important to distinguish, that deal is not with the university, it is with a private business. However thinly vieled the connection may be, legally the player is not making their NIL deal with the school.

It is comparable, the school does not OWN Albert Einstein, they do not OWN the theatre major, and they do not OWN the student athlete.

The school also can(and they often do) end their "committment" to any of the three above, just as those three are FREE to go elsewhere if they please.

The economic impact of a students free choice is not really a determining factor in their right to the choice.

NIL deals could make transferring prohibitive if the contract language is structered to do so, and if the player contracts their rights for a term, that is a binding deal.

However, it is important to distinguish, that deal is not with the university, it is with a private business. However thinly vieled the connection may be, legally the player is not making their NIL deal with the school.
I agree with all of that. And the athlete is free to transfer via the Transfer Portal. But if he has made a legally binding comittment, that's a different story. If the science/art/business major had an NIL deal, it would be the same answer. But, they don't. Why? Because they don't generate revenue. The exception being of course in schools like MIT where academics is the major money maker, then they have to smooze benefactors for money to equip labs, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom