Ndamukong Suh (1 Viewer)

Ross

Scottish Who Dat!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As I am sure everyone is aware this guy is an extremely exceptional talent and is regarded by almost everyone as the top prospect in the 2010 draft guys like him just don’t come along every year and there will not be a single team in the NFL who would not love to have this guy.

The earliest drafts had him going to the Rams but quite quickly things changed and Quarterback was cited as their number 1 priority with Sam Bradford now looking a sure thing, So the next team in line to pick up this behemoth are the Detroit Lions, almost every " expert " mock draft had Suh as a sure thing for the lions but the closer to the draft we get the Lions more pressing need at OT is starting to factor more in the opinions of many and, then the incredible talent that is Suh slips to our Divisional Rivals Tampa Bay, something that gives me a horrible feeling in my stomach at the sheer thought of this guy trying to flatten Drew Brees twice a year for the foreseeable future.

The future of Suh surely lies in the hands of the teams with picks 1, 2 and 3, with rumours starting to circulate that the Rams would be willing to trade picks 1, 2 and 3 next year to get their hands on Ben ' sit on my face ' Roethlisberger a guy who has plenty baggage and a few loose screws, rather than select the young promising Sam Bradford who could be the face of their franchise for many years to come. If this is in fact true then surely Suh is a big factor in this.

Now let’s go back and look at the Detroit Lions a team who last year aside has drafted in the top ten every year since 2002 now include this year and that’s 5 picks inside the top 5 and where has that gotten them this far ? In my opinion there is no way they can pass on Suh regardless of their history in the first round , this guy without a doubt will be a franchise Defensive Tackle in the league for a very long time.

Now something I have yet to see mentioned anywhere is just what exactly would it take to get that #2 pick from Detroit a team who consistently wastes 1st round picks year after year?

Now as I said before I can’t think of a single team in the league who would not love Ndamukong Suh on their team so taking that into consideration do we see someone make a play for pick #2 and just what in your opinions would it take to get a hold of it?

I have a sneaking feeling there will be more than a few teams giving Detroit a call throughout next week trying to ascertain just exactly what pick #2 is worth to their struggling franchise. And I really think things could get interesting in the middle of next week.

What do you guys reckon it would take?

Who do you see making a play?

I reckon a starting LT from a middle of the draft team and a second round pick this year and more picks next year would be enough to twist their arm.

Just for the record I am in no way suggesting that our FO will make a move for the guy but just in interest of talking sake as a Saint what would you be willing to let go to grab Ndamukong Suh?

As I am sure everyone is aware this guy is an extremely exceptional talent and is regarded by almost everyone as the top prospect in the 2010 draft guys like him just don’t come along every year and there will not be a single team in the NFL who would not love to have this guy.

The earliest drafts had him going to the Rams but quite quickly things changed and Quarterback was cited as their number 1 priority with Sam Bradford now looking a sure thing, So the next team in line to pick up this behemoth are the Detroit Lions, almost every " expert " mock draft had Suh as a sure thing for the lions but the closer to the draft we get the Lions more pressing need at OT is starting to factor more in the opinions of many and, then the incredible talent that is Suh slips to our Divisional Rivals Tampa Bay, something that gives me a horrible feeling in my stomach at the sheer thought of this guy trying to flatten Drew Brees twice a year for the foreseeable future.

The future of Suh surely lies in the hands of the teams with picks 1, 2 and 3, with rumours starting to circulate that the Rams would be willing to trade picks 1, 2 and 3 next year to get their hands on Ben ' sit on my face ' Roethlisberger a guy who has plenty baggage and a few loose screws, rather than select the young promising Sam Bradford who could be the face of their franchise for many years to come. If this is in fact true then surely Suh is a big factor in this.

Now let’s go back and look at the Detroit Lions a team who last year aside has drafted in the top ten every year since 2002 now include this year and that’s 5 picks inside the top 5 and where has that gotten them this far ? In my opinion there is no way they can pass on Suh regardless of their history in the first round , this guy without a doubt will be a franchise Defensive Tackle in the league for a very long time.

Now something I have yet to see mentioned anywhere is just what exactly would it take to get that #2 pick from Detroit a team who consistently wastes 1st round picks year after year?

Now as I said before I can’t think of a single team in the league who would not love Ndamukong Suh on their team so taking that into consideration do we see someone make a play for pick #2 and just what in your opinions would it take to get a hold of it?

I have a sneaking feeling there will be more than a few teams giving Detroit a call throughout next week trying to ascertain just exactly what pick #2 is worth to their struggling franchise. And I really think things could get interesting in the middle of next week.

What do you guys reckon it would take?

Who do you see making a play?

I reckon a starting LT from a middle of the draft team and a second round pick this year and more picks next year would be enough to twist their arm.

Just for the record I am in no way suggesting that our FO will make a move for the guy but just in interest of talking sake as a Saint what would you be willing to let go to grab Ndamukong Suh?

No, it will cost more than we can give. That #2 pick is worth 2600 points. The #32 pick is worth like 590, or something close. You will end-up mortgaging the team trying to move up and get one guy.

He is good though, but the F.O. would not do it. I believe they would revisit the Haynesworth offer first (with the bonus paid, would b a better financial move).

No, it will cost more than we can give. That #2 pick is worth 2600 points. The #32 pick is worth like 590, or something close. You will end-up mortgaging the team trying to move up and get one guy.

He is good though, but the F.O. would not do it. I believe they would revisit the Haynesworth offer first (with the bonus paid, would b a better financial move).

Im not suggesting we move for him at all , im suggesting that someone deeper in draft may be willing to give up alot to get their hands on guy and things could get interesting.

The bit at the bottom was about us was purely for fun just to see what you guys as fans would give to get him :9:

And apparently Haynesworth was already offered to us and we where not interested one bit.

Im not suggesting we move for him at all , im suggesting that someone deeper in draft may be willing to give up alot to get their hands on guy and things could get interesting.

The bit at the bottom was about us was purely for fun just to see what you guys as fans would give to get him :9:

And apparently Haynesworth was already offered to us and we where not interested one bit.

We were offered, but that does not mean we won't revisit the offer, as I mentioned.

As for what we will give to get him, I am still shell-shocked from the Rickey Williams debacle. Once we finally got from under that bondage, we won a SB (with Loomis and Co. help of course). So, forgive me for not playing the hypothetical game.

I just don't see teams moving up to get him, unless they are already in the top 5. The Patriots showed the league how to win and stay within your budget simultaneously. We followed that design last year, no need to change now. If you look at our recent re-signings, you can see that we are not going to break our bank for a player. Sharper is also feeling that pinch.

Who knows though, Raiders and Redskins have done some amazingly dumb things in the past.

I think the draft value chart is very overrated because I can remember one trade that happen involving picks that weren't even equivalent but it was still able to go through. Teams don't always necessarily follow the chart, especially if they're trying to acquire extra picks by trading down. It's very rare that you'll find teams trading picks that are exactly equal to one another.

Last year, the Jets traded their 17th and 52nd picks to Cleveland for the 5th pick to get Mark Sanchez. The 5th pick alone was worth 1700 points and those two picks were only 1330 points combined. The fact that you can trade down and still get 2 top 55 picks, one being a top 20 and an extra 2nd rounder, is what teams look at when they're making trades.

Given that the Lions are in dying need of a talent like Jammal Brown would make that type of trade even more intriguing. He was tendered at 1st & 3rd round level and we wouldn't acquire nothing less than a top 40 pick for him and probably another additional pick. If we'd trade JB, the 32nd pick, and maybe a future early round pick or this year's 3rd rounder would probably do it. Ndamukong Suh is worth it. Drafting Suh would easily make us come out winners on draft day because we'd shore up our D-Line for many years to come and we can still use our 2nd rounder or late picks on gems to fill the holes at OLB (Eric Norwood, Junior Galette, AJ Edds, etc.) and positions we can improve on like TE (Jameson Konz) and maybe another DB.

The draft value chart is overrated imo. You can give or take here and there....if there is a single guy out there that would totally change your team and how it plays, then I say explore options in making that happen.

With that said - This draft is so deep. I dunno if i'd put all my eggs into one basket for a single player in this draft. If the draft wasnt deep, then I might look at making some kind of blockbuster deal to move way up into the first half of the 1st round to snag a prime-A talent.

Since it's reported that Brown will probably be traded before or during draft day and that Detroit is in dying need of a good LT AND they also pursued interest in Anthony Hargrove to fill the hole at DT, I think it'd only make sense if we can trade JB, Hargrove, and the 32nd for the #2 and their 5th round pick.

You'd have to look at it as if the FO wants to either get the most dominant player in the draft (Suh), the most dominant player already in the league (Haynesworth), or stay put at 32 to settle for a player like Brian Price or Linval Joseph. Which one of those scenarios would best fit filling the void at DT in GW's defense is how I think the Saints are approaching the draft.

Since it's reported that Brown will probably be traded before or during draft day and that Detroit is in dying need of a good LT AND they also pursued interest in Anthony Hargrove to fill the hole at DT, I think it'd only make sense if we can trade JB, Hargrove, and the 32nd for the #2 and their 5th round pick.

You'd have to look at it as if the FO wants to either get the most dominant player in the draft (Suh), the most dominant player already in the league (Haynesworth), or stay put at 32 to settle for a player like Brian Price or Linval Joseph. Which one of those scenarios would best fit filling the void at DT in GW's defense is how I think the Saints are approaching the draft.

There's also money to consider though. Hargrove is making somewhere in the $1.7 neighborhood. Brown under his tender is around $3 I think?

A top 3 rookie deal is very expensive (sure hope that changes soon). I don't think the Saints have even the slightest interest in picking in the top 5-10 picks, we have way too many people on the team already we have to pay.

Outside of the top 20 picks, rookie deals are very cap friendly. Its one of the benefits of winning. Your percentage of hitting on an impact player drops somewhat, but you get to restock your roster for cheap instead of sinking anywhere from $10-50 million on an unproven player. And that percentage of hitting on a stud can be somewhat mitigated by great scouting and drafting.

Would require too much. Even if Detroit gave up their first pick for Brown, a top rookie salary (which has been stated) is too much for us to afford right now (certainly since a few key players of ours havent even signed yet.)

I love Suh, he's the best college defensive tackle and one of the most dominating players period I've ever seen in college, and I'm convinced he'll be special as a pro. He reminds me of Reggie White playing a defensive tackle. It would probably take:

1st
2nd this year
1st next year
3rd or 4th next year
maybe some more later round junk swapped both ways

From someone drafting middle of the first round. It's still not a chart value deal, but I could see Detroit maybe doing that. If there were players the Lions liked equivalent to say the second rounder or the next year's 3rd, they might be involved in the deal. There aren't many teams in the position the Saints are in (i.e. being able to trade away LTs), so I wouldn't worry too much about players getting involved.

Anybody can bust, he has had several knee surgeries-it would be ludicrous to give away too much for him. IMO the value in this draft is late first early second and would be much happier with two or three players in that range than Suh. Give me B. Price, J. Hughes and L. Joseph over Suh anyday.

Again bear in mind guys the end part involving us was purely out of curiosity

The main point of the thread is i can see someone in the top 10 - 15 testing the water with Detroit. there's a good few teams with 2nd stringers who would be starters for Detroit and throw in a few mid round picks and they could bite.

for instance to ' hypotheticaly ' use us in the equation something like Jammal Brown , Anthony Hargrove and our second pick this year could be enough to give them something to think about. We all know that aint gonna happen but teams futher down the draft board than us could be readying similar packages to test their resolve.

And i think something may be out there that they could see as too good to turn down.

It's a depressing mark of how outrageous NFL rookie salaries are inside the Top Ten that Albert Haynesworth would be a much cheaper option salary-wise then Suh.

People need to keep in mind that, capless year aside, were there a salary cap we're one of the few teams who would be over the cap. The salary cap is returning, and Benson is not Snyder or Jones. We've only got so much money to spend. Our ability to retain the plethora of RFAs we have long-term, or take on large salaries (like Haynesworth or a top 10 pick) is pretty restricted, especially when you consider critical long-term extensions like Jahri Evans and Drew Brees haven't been applied yet.

What we need is a large amount of cheap labor, in otherwords low first round and below rookies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom